Forum  
  Topic : [Problem]Cmos Battery keeps dying New Topic
Hollowpoint
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 0
Posted:10/18/2008 9:25:00 AM # 1
Hi,
I bought the P5N-D on 07/04/2008, after about a month the CMOS battery died. I bought another one, and its worked fine for about 5 months and now its dying again. I'm about to go get another one, but its very frustrating having it die all the time. Is this a known issue? or should I send my motherboard back to where I bought it (as faulty) ? Or any other suggestions... thanks in advance.

Reply Reply Quote & Reply Quote & Reply
Henry
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 10
Posted:10/18/2008 9:35:00 AM # 2
The cmos battery is used up when all power is taken away from the motherboard. If you do not unplug, turn off the power supply at the back or turn off a surge protector that it may be connected to and leave the 5V on the motherboard when you just power it down with the shutdown from windows, you will not be drawing the power away from the battery.

Epidemic30
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 16
Posted:10/18/2008 9:41:00 AM # 3
Hollowpoint,
  unfortunately, i dont think its all that rare, probally....  mine was dead when i got the board and i had to replace it on the first boots!!! so far, its been 5 or 6 months and its all good. i will update everyone if it goes though. also the running voltage of the cmos battery is 3.3v not 5v, just for chits and giggles :)

MOBO:EVGA P67 FTW~~~CPU:I5 2500K @4.789 VC.1.368 w/ IC Diamond 24ct.~~~RAM:G.Skill PI 1600 Cas6~~~HDD:WD Caviar Black 750gb~~~PSU:PC P&C Silencer 750~~~GPU:EVGA GTX560ti Sc~~~PPU:EVGA GTX260 216 Sc 55nm~~~CPU HS/F:EVGA Sc Cooler(Modded) for P/P with Yate Loon's 88CFM~~~CASE:Lian-Li PC-V2010B (Modded)~~~OS:Win 7 64Bit Ultimate~~~Monitor:HP 2159m~~~Hd.Set:steelSeries Siberia~~~ ------------------------------------- First Boot Instructions for P5N-D(750i) here: http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?id=20080616004242890&board_id=1&model=P5N-D&page=1&SLanguage=en-us
Hollowpoint
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:10/18/2008 9:46:00 AM # 4
I turn the power point off at the wall and unplug it during thunderstorms. I've done it with every computer I have owned and never had problems like this. My partner does the same with his as well. I use my computer every day, and from what my partner is saying is that its a lithium battery and it should last for ages and he thought it recharges when the computer is on. I really don't think its cause I switch it off at the wall at night, I would have thought everyone did that?

edit: I'll check what voltage its running at see if its 3.3v or 5v.

Henry
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 10
Posted:10/18/2008 9:58:00 AM # 5
The 2032 is a non recharageable battery. The average min for that battery is about 1000 hours. Here is some info on the battery. The only other thing is if you are shorting it in some way but it wouldn't last even 5 mo that way. You may also be getting old batterys so find a different source.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lithium_battery#Safety_issues_and_regulation

Down near the bottom is the spec for it in a pdf file.

Hollowpoint
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:10/18/2008 11:37:00 AM # 6
Ah ok, seems a bit stupid to put what I would think as a crappy battery in a good board. All the other motherboards I have had (all ASUS), I've never had to change the battery ever. Ah well...
The batteries are sealed, bought them from a good Aussie retailer, I'll look around next time I need one see if that helps with lifetime etc.

Thanks very much for you help Henry, really appreciate you looking that up, I never would of thought to do that.

Previous Topic:: Next Topic
Feedback for our Website ModeratorModerator: Ulrich New Topic Related FAQ Related FAQ Forum Home Forum Home
Forum Model :
Legal Information | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Contact Us | ASUS Global
  ©ASUSTeK Computer Inc. All rights reserved.