Forum  
  Topic : [Sharing]Look at this when troubleshooting 4870x2 New Topic
heg
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 5
Posted:10/3/2008 9:12:00 PM # 1

Initial thoughts on this card.

The major thing with this card is that it requires a lot of power. It also get hot. These both are two very important things to tackle, whereas power is the most difficult one to tackle. Just because you could run a crossfire 3870x2 doesn't mean you could run a crossfire 4870x2. Here's an exellent page of discussing the powersupply problematics you could encounter

http://www.anandtech.com/casecoolingpsus/showdoc.aspx?i=3413&p=1

Its a good read and have in mind its a bit old things they are using but still is brining up good points, also those numbers in the article doesnt mean that every single E4500 will always put out 36W under load etc. You have to consider if it COULD be that you dont have enough juice to run it.

With all this said it IS an awesome card and I recommend it!

Some useful links for troubleshooting. Feel free to add things.

Certified PSUs.

ATI collected list of certified  PSUs. These are tested to work with the card. Still it might be hard to tell if its going to work with your setup. Read up on your PSU and harware to conclude if you could use the hardware. Even if you PSU is listed you might have troubles since all of your components use watts and that might exceed your PSU capability. Remember that components do consume more watts under load than idle. It's not really the watts that is important but the delivered ampere, because the volts are a static 12V. 1W=1V*1A.

http://game.amd.com/us-en/crossfirex_components.aspx?p=3

Fan control 4800 series.

A link for manually controlling your fan. Useful if you feel if your fan isn't doing its job properly or might wanna OC it but need more cooling. This may harm your hardware if setup incorrectly, so use with caution. 

http://enthusiast.hardocp.com/article.html?art=MTU1MiwxLCxoZW50aHVzaWFzdA==

GPU powerconsumption.

This card needs alot of power to function properly (as mentioned). Here you could see some diagrams over diffrent cards power consumption. Useful if you are building/thinking of new graphic cards. AnandTech wrote an article about the 4870x2 in a single mode consumes 450W under load and 750W(!) in crossfire. Depending on setup it could draw less/more power since a bad CPU could restrict its performance and then consume less power or a good one could improve its performance which would draw more watts.

http://forums.atomicmpc.com.au/index.php?showtopic=264  (compilation of diffrent cards)

http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3372&p=1 (AnanTech review)

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-reviews/9225-palit-radeon-hd-4870-x2-2gb-video-card-review.html (Not and ASUS card but still informative)

http://techreport.com/articles.x/15293/10

Minimum recommended requirements.

The 4870x2 card's recommended minimum PSU is 600W 12V at a rating of 40A. This is about 480W. How these watts are spent are hard to tell. Some will pull it off using a 600W or even less, some might not. It all depends on your hardware setup and PSU. Just getting a 800W PSU still might not make it work. A PSU is diveded into rails. If you have a 600W with 4 rails most probably each rail will be able to output about 150W. One rail may or may not have multiple cables connected to them which means the power is divided between the cables. Also using many rails may cause instability to you system since they may deliver power uneven due to components etc. Basically there could be alot of reasons why your PSU isn't up for the job. Getting a single rail PSU that delivers 100A would be a most probably a good choice although this is not my recommendation, just an example. Though there a few of those and probably very expensive. The only way to know if it works is to try it out. Check the ATI certified list. Also check the Anandtech review linked above.

Heat!

This card gets hot. It runs about 85C on load and 65ish idle, some components gets even hotter. This means that for ensuring stable operation it might be good to look on your airflow in your case.

Hardware information.

To get information about your card you could get a few programs. ATI catalyst does a good job but theres also other programs that could give you more detailed info.

GPU-Z
http://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/

Everest Ultimate Edition (shareware 15-day trial)
http://www.lavalys.com

Driver installation.

When you installed the driver it could be good to check the temperature for the card, so it been properly installed and/or old drivers interfere with your new one. This could mean that cooling of your card isn't enough and might damage it. Driversweeper checks for redundant and old drivers hanging around and may interfere with your new ones. Use this with caution because you might tamper with the registry. Read the documentation thoroughly. (Thanks MarkJohnson).

http://www.guru3d.com/category/driversweeper/

Troubleshooting.

Before you run off and get a new PSU/fans/RMA etc you might wanna check if you have a friend with a more powerful PSU/same card/setup/turn up the cooling or get an old card and see if its something else. Doing so might help you find what problem you're having with your card. Also one could test to get ATI's drivers and/or upgrade them. Easiest way of getting the newest drivers for ATI Catalyst is to open CCCenter and go in Advanced mode and check the Welcome section. There's a link for them.

Sharing

If you have read this page and it helped you or it didn't, but you managed to fix it, please post a post describing what you did to make your card work if you actually got it working. Describe symptoms and how you fixed it.

If not finding anything particular listed above that match your problem, get as much info about your setup and than try to narrow it down to a possible problem. Is it a power consumption problem, is it a heat problem, what happens if I install diffrent drivers, does the problem persist? Also try and run it at lower resolutions.

(Disclaimer: Im no ASUS employee and does not take any responsibility for any of the programs or tips here. I just compiled this to get everything on the same page for troubleshooting, use them at your own risk).

Reply Reply Quote & Reply Quote & Reply
MB:Rampage Extreme(BIOS 1003):CPU:QX9770@3.6:RAM:TWIN3X2048-1800C7DFING(1600@76620):GPU:Asus 4870X2(Stock):PSU:Thermaltake 1.2kW W0133:CPUC:GTZ:NB:NBMAX:GPUC:EK4870x2:HD:4xWD5000AAKS in RAID 01:Vistax64/Linux Ubuntu.
heg
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:11/24/2008 9:26:00 PM # 2

I had an installation issue with this card when upgrading from aircooling to watercooling.
I could boot into windows but the computer froze whenever I was about to do something graphical, it could even hang/freeze in BIOS (!) and sometimes not boot at all. It turns out that that rails 3 and 4 on my PSU are used for pheriperials but the rail 4 powers all of the six harddrives, floppy, fans and the grahpic card. It worked fine before but now the extra load from the pump pushed the PSU too much which made it unstable. So I switched to rail 3 which only powers some of the CPU power and it works like a charm.

MB:Rampage Extreme(BIOS 1003):CPU:QX9770@3.6:RAM:TWIN3X2048-1800C7DFING(1600@76620):GPU:Asus 4870X2(Stock):PSU:Thermaltake 1.2kW W0133:CPUC:GTZ:NB:NBMAX:GPUC:EK4870x2:HD:4xWD5000AAKS in RAID 01:Vistax64/Linux Ubuntu.
ZXSpectrum
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 4
Posted:12/17/2008 5:08:00 PM # 3
Hi,i have ASUS PSU 550W and it works fine here,only 2 HDD.I play all the games in 1920x1200 full details and never notice any problem that relates to PSU,only occasional ,some games crash and the windows desktop appears,but that is very rare.Anyone thinks this could be related to PSU?Thanks

heg
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:1/4/2009 6:38:00 AM # 4

Quote:
Author: ZXSpectrum Posted: 12/17/2008 5:08:00 PM

Hi,i have ASUS PSU 550W and it works fine here,only 2 HDD.I play all the games in 1920x1200 full details and never notice any problem that relates to PSU,only occasional ,some games crash and the windows desktop appears,but that is very rare.Anyone thinks this could be related to PSU?Thanks

If it works its fine. If it would a PSU problem you would probably have a BSOD or a reboot if power were an issue. If it crashes to desktop it seems like a bad/corrupt driver or game compability issue. However more info is required.

Daemon999
Level :
Tech Points : 0
Posted:1/30/2009 10:49:00 AM # 5

Hey there...

I just got the EAH4870X2, and after getting it installed, I ran it up and my mouse and keyboard wouldn't work...as if no power was going to it.  When I disconnected and reconnected the mouse, the video went out.  I rebooted and everything seemed to work fine.  Then I installed the drivers, rebooted and the video went out right after the Windows load bar disappeared.  The computer stayed running, but the video just shut off. 

My first suspicion was that my PSU was insufficient.  Here's a link to my PSU: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?Sku=ULT31848

And these are all the things that I'm running:

Asus Extreme Maximus
Intel Core2Duo 3.0Ghz
2GBx2 OZC DDR3
Sound Blaster X-Fi Extreme (just the card)
Killer K-1 NIC
a DVD drive and a DVD+RW drive
a single 300GB SATA HDD
and an Antec P180B

I'm 99% positive it's my PSU, but I wanted a second opinion before I bought a new one.
Tell me what you think.

Crash
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 0
Posted:3/2/2009 1:16:00 AM # 6

Hello everyone that has purchased Either of the 4870X2 cards.

I Have a AUSU EAH4870X2/HTDI/2G/A 2GB GDDR5  TRI FAN
First and most important, read the above post. PSU is allways the biggest concern, This card loves the power.

Second is if you buy this card and there is a mail-in rebate. Make SURE the the card is in PERFECT working order before taking advantage of the rebate. I didn't, Newegg requires that the UPC label be still ATTACHED to the box in order to honor the 1yr. replacement coverage. NO exceptions.
This leaves you with only one option, and that is to send the card back to ASUS (your cost to ship, they won't pay for that).
 They will Attempt to REPAIR your Brand NEW card that did not work correctly right out of the box. If they can't repair, then they may replace.
This was a problem for as I have a problem with spending $500. + for a NEW card that didn't work correctly out of the box. 
 Problems I had were:
1. GPU clock advertized at 750Mhz , Out box Actuall was 507Mhz.
2. No matter where the card was OCed to it would not take or hold it.
3. AI Catalyst, When turned on would crash Video card and then the PC.  I performed ALL the recommended downloads As directed by ASUS Tech Support. Including ATI 9.2 catalyst.
4. Artifacting, Large amount of black spots during game play, BF2, BF2142, COD4, COD5.

Mobo: ASUS P5K Premium Black Pearl Edition
HD: WD VelociRaptor WD3000GLFS 300GB 10,000RPM SATA
CPU: Kentsfield 2.4 Quadcore. OCed to 3.2
Mem: Kingston HyperX 4GB DDR2 1066 Dual Channel
PSU:  Coolmax CUQ-1200B 1200W Sli/Cross ready.
Case: Enermax Uber Chakra

Daemon9
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 6
Posted:3/13/2009 11:47:00 PM # 7
Ok.  I picked up an Antec Signature 850W PSU for my 4870x2 and everything is hooked up.  The problem I'm having now is the driver isn't working.  I've already tried three times...install, uninstall, Safe Mode, driver sweeper, install...and nothing.  Right after I install the drivers and restart, I get an error saying "There are no drivers installed, or the driver is not functioning properly.  Please install the proper ATI drivers for your ATI hardware." 

I have no idea what to do...

Asus Rampage III Extreme / Intel Core i7-960 3.2Ghz 8M LGA1366 CPU / EVGA GeForce GTX 480 SC 1536MB GDDR5 / Corsair CMT6GX3M3A2000C8 Dominator GT Triple Channel 6144MB PC16000 DDR3 Memory - 2000MHz, 3x2048MB, 9-9-9-24 / ULTRA X4 1200W PSU / Cooler Master V10 CPU Fan / Plextor 8X Blu Ray ROM SATA w/Lightscribe / Cooler Master HAF X ATX Full Tower \m/
Fonts
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 4
Posted:3/23/2009 12:30:00 AM # 8
Folks,

Let me save you a lot of pain.

4800 series is fundamentally flawed.
Long series of driver updates have not fixed it and given that I doubt they ever will.
You will never get happy with it and BSOD, freeze, crash, etc. will be the norm.
As I stated in other post is is not ASUS problem but the base ATI AMD design and drivers.

Give it up and move on and you will be happy.
I wanted so much to make it work but after so much grief I finally capitulated and moved on.
Using GTX 260, 280, 295 no issues. In fact 8800 GTS outperformed my 48070X2!
And it never crashed my system.

Von
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 187
Posted:3/23/2009 11:28:00 AM # 9
Seems very helpful!
:)

FragTamer
Level :
Tech Points : 2
Posted:4/18/2009 1:51:00 AM # 10

I bought an EAH4870X2 Tri-fan card one week ago and been running it for three days now. The reason for my purchase is I've had a couple of failed nVidia GPUs in the 7 series BFG cards and a rare Asus X800XT Platinum 8x AGP card has outlasted those by 3 years of daily use.

I registered as a member when i read this. I've been to many forums looking for solutions to black screen issues and this problem is echoed across many months and still no solution. Out of the box on a tri-fan model, the rear (faulty asus) fan made quite a bit of racket as some do reportedly. I have to admit though, Asus have done an ok job at attempting to remove the heat with this design. I thought it was not worth going without my new card by returning it and tollerated it's vice. Then the black screens started... It does not matter what game I'm playing, this occurance is random, being either brief of permanent where I'm forced to reboot. I play Guild Wars. When I switch to window mode, the game darkens, then comes good when put back to full screen. Crisis has intermittant black screening as well. This card is running stock settings and the entire system is new. All drivers, including chipset and BIOS updates were downloaded and intalled with the new installation of windows. I agree they very hot and you do need either air-con or a well ventilated case and room. The single GPU cards will perform quite well and are cheaper to run/replace when they break down or you want to upgrade to a newer model. Buy one of these and expect to be stuck with older shader models etc if you can't afford to keep buying high end. I expect this card would cook itself to death sooner than hope for so it's lucky for the cold room.

The revision of my PSU is similar to what is on the ATI 4870X2 certified website, only SLi certified. Assuming that all these people getting the BSOD like me may be having problems with PSU PCI-e rail amperes because their not using ATI certified/tested PSUs. I believe I have a Thermaltake 850w (W0131) and ATI recommend (W0131RU), which is not on the thermaltake website. Next up from that under ATI crossfire certification and also for this card is a 1000w model in the thermaltake range. I suggest check your PSU. You should buy a new one anyway every few years of solid use and a new compatable one with this graphics card. Check the certification link in the first post.

I've just installed a cheap Asus/ATI card for $128AU on another PC and it's pushing a 24" screen very well in gaming >lol @ that? Buy 2 cheapies and run Crossfire ;-) 

(c)Intel DX48BT2 (Latest BIOS, added: NB fan) - Intel Q9650 OC'd @ 3.2Ghz - Zalman CNPS9900 heatsink - G-Skill 7,7,7,18 DDR3 8GB - 2 x 400Gb Western Digital in Raid 0 and 1 x 1TB WD Greenpower - Thermaltake Toughpower 850w PSU - 2 x Sony DVD Burners (flashed latest firmware) - Thermaltake Kandalf  aluminum ATX case - 2 x LG  L1980Q digital monitors (latest drivers) - Razor keyboard and mouse - Vista 64bit SP1 OS - Situated in a air conditioned room.         
Quote:

Author: Fonts Posted: 3/23/2009 12:30:00 AM

Folks,

Let me save you a lot of pain.

4800 series is fundamentally flawed.
Long series of driver updates have not fixed it and given that I doubt they ever will.
You will never get happy with it and BSOD, freeze, crash, etc. will be the norm.
As I stated in other post is is not ASUS problem but the base ATI AMD design and drivers.

Give it up and move on and you will be happy.
I wanted so much to make it work but after so much grief I finally capitulated and moved on.
Using GTX 260, 280, 295 no issues. In fact 8800 GTS outperformed my 48070X2!
And it never crashed my system.

1 2 3  Next  Last
Previous Topic:: Next Topic
Feedback for our Website ModeratorModerator: New Topic Related FAQ Related FAQ Forum Home Forum Home
Forum Model :
Legal Information | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Contact Us | ASUS Global
  ©ASUSTeK Computer Inc. All rights reserved.