Topic : [Sharing]Look at this when troubleshooting 4870x2 New Topic

Tech Points : 127
Posted:5/11/2009 9:06:00 PM # 11

Quote:
Author: Fonts Posted: 3/23/2009 12:30:00 AM

Folks,

Let me save you a lot of pain.

4800 series is fundamentally flawed.
Long series of driver updates have not fixed it and given that I doubt they ever will.
You will never get happy with it and BSOD, freeze, crash, etc. will be the norm.
As I stated in other post is is not ASUS problem but the base ATI AMD design and drivers.

Give it up and move on and you will be happy.
I wanted so much to make it work but after so much grief I finally capitulated and moved on.
Using GTX 260, 280, 295 no issues. In fact 8800 GTS outperformed my 48070X2!
And it never crashed my system.

Sounds to me as if you never have used ATI or have set your card up correctly.

I have an "old school" EAH4870x2 and could not be happier with its performance or drivers. I have been using catalyst drivers and never a problem.

You are quite incorrect that BSOD, freeze, crashes are the norm.

Reply Reply Quote & Reply Quote & Reply
FragTamer
Level :
Tech Points : 2
Posted:6/13/2009 3:28:00 AM # 12

I think at this point in Asus's defence I will now make a point of diagnosis on my EAH4870X2 Tri-Fan. Recently I was getting blue screens of death. Games crashing other than what used to happen with black screens of death when I first built this system. Out of the 4 sticks of G-Skill RAM (8Gb total) one presented as faulty under tests. That matched pair had since been replaced and this graphics card has worked flawlessly since taking out that bad RAM. The fan vibration I experienced in one fan has setted down as well. So, BSOD may indeed be other PC components. Test everything before finding fault with the card, then you can say wheather or not it becomes a paper weight. I spat the dummy at Asus/ATI for a bodge card but sincerely must appologize now I know I can point the finger at G-Skill. "Curse you G-Skill!" It's not the first RAM to be sent back under their brand. Mass manufacturing does that in many products. Incidently the RAM issue I had did not fully surface for a few weeks of use so would have tested ok in the factory maybe, who knows. Maybe the Malasian guy who packed them was too busy picking his nose to bother checking the test.

Arioch13
Level :
Posted:8/18/2009 9:09:00 PM # 13

Quote:
Author: FragTamer Posted: 6/13/2009 3:28:00 AM

I think at this point in Asus's defence I will now make a point of diagnosis on my EAH4870X2 Tri-Fan. Recently I was getting blue screens of death. Games crashing other than what used to happen with black screens of death when I first built this system. Out of the 4 sticks of G-Skill RAM (8Gb total) one presented as faulty under tests. That matched pair had since been replaced and this graphics card has worked flawlessly since taking out that bad RAM. The fan vibration I experienced in one fan has setted down as well. So, BSOD may indeed be other PC components. Test everything before finding fault with the card, then you can say wheather or not it becomes a paper weight. I spat the dummy at Asus/ATI for a bodge card but sincerely must appologize now I know I can point the finger at G-Skill. "Curse you G-Skill!" It's not the first RAM to be sent back under their brand. Mass manufacturing does that in many products. Incidently the RAM issue I had did not fully surface for a few weeks of use so would have tested ok in the factory maybe, who knows. Maybe the Malasian guy who packed them was too busy picking his nose to bother checking the test.

Haha lol FragTamer -Had some similar ram issues before switching all over to corsair just to tidy up my system.  I suspect the same Malasian packed my ram as yours. 
Just to add to this forum.  Its worth noting that going from NVidia type boards such as GTX280s etc then migrating to ATI also suffers from complications in terms of the use of the product by the user.  I personally found it painful learning what settings would benefit the ATI card (4870x2) best and playing with Catalyst after using Nvidia based cards for so long.  However after some time and a little reading it does come together.  Personally I dont really like catalyst but I can live with it now.  Also I see my games do look better under the single ATI card.  I am happy enough with it now that I am getting a second to put into crossfire mode. As soon as I buy a powerstation to power the 2.  Just kidding I am confident my coolermaster 1000w will do the job but we shall see.  Its "supposed" to be able to drive the tri SLI setup for the motherboard I have but supposed too and will do 2x crossfire could be a different story.

Salt The Wound
Level :
Posted:8/22/2009 2:57:00 PM # 14
Hey guys i am also having issues with this card. when i try to install the drivers for this card on boot up after installing them i get a could not identify hardware. i know for a fact i have it installed correctly. another thing is that when i go to device manager it displays 2 drives which is normal but when one is disabled i cannot get into windows. could this be because i have only vista 32 bit? i have 4 gb of ram installed. so obviously the card is not being picked up because i dont even see the video card in dxdiag.

so i am very frustrated right now and i have a RMA set up if i choose to but i want to find out for sure if i really need to get a rma or not. if anyone could shed some light on me please do so.

Specs:
Cpu: intel cored 2 duo E8500
Mobo: P5Q Delux Asus
Ram: 4gb g. skill
VGA: 4870x2 (of course)
PSU: 750 watt PC cooling and Power Silent

Thanks for reading and for your help before hand.

-STW

btw i have the 8.6 drivers installed according to the drivers in device manager.

pierre`
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 3
Posted:10/11/2009 2:23:00 PM # 15
I have the ASUS EAH4870X2/HTDI/2G/A Radeon HD 4870 X2 2GB at first I did have a lot of problems with the card but I just updated with the ATI drivers that came out last month. I tryed the Asus drivers and that got me no where. I have played most of the games that made my video lock up and with Photoshop I couldn't even use the card for 3D art and now I have yet to have any problems. It took me 5 months of trouble shooting to get the card running.

ZXSpectrum
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 4
Posted:9/28/2010 9:56:00 PM # 16
hey everybody...i revive an old post.i still have eah4870x2.i changed my PSU to 750W.Possibly i have a new mobo,cpu and ram since i originally posted here (i don't even know what hardware i was running back then),the problem is still there...rarely...in some games computer simply resets!!! only when the graphic effects are intense.So... anyone thinks is still a PSU problem? my previous PSU (ASUS 550W) worked great,i changed it cause i thought it doesn't have enough power for my video card, but now i think 750W is enough and  maybe there is another videocard problem.I am running out of ideeas... :(

jazzy
Level :
Tech Points : 0
Posted:10/1/2010 10:02:00 PM # 17
I had an installation issue with this card when upgrading from aircooling to watercooling.
I could boot into windows but the computer froze whenever I was about to do something graphical, it could even hang/freeze in BIOS (!) and sometimes not boot at all. It turns out that that rails 3 and 4 on my PSU are used for pheriperials but the rail 4 powers all of the six harddrives, floppy, fans and the grahpic card. It worked fine before but now the extra load from the pump pushed the PSU too much which made it unstable. So I switched to rail 3 which only powers some of the CPU power and it works like a charm.

[url=http://interneteclub.net/ebooks]Free ebooks [/url]

[url=http://interneteclub.net/themes]Free Themes[/url],

[url=http://interneteclub.net/]Free Article[/url]

a4
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:10/13/2010 12:09:00 PM # 18

I purchased a very expensive EAH4870X2 here in New Zealand in December 2008. Using a 1000 Watt single-rail PSU so plenty of clean power available.

I took it back to the vendor a few days later, as it was running very hot and was having random pixel issues. The vendor said that they tested it and found no problems, that it was normal for those cards to run hot.

The only way I could get it to run without random green pixels, occaisional red bubbles, and graphical tearing issues was to run the fan at 55% to 75% minimum speed (depending on the season and ambient temperature) and to underclock the card's memory by at least 10% (using CCC).

Anyway, the card died 4 weeks ago. Thankfully it has a 3 year warranty, so I took it back to the vendor. The vendor eventually told me yesterday "Looks like the supplier has sent the card to ASUS Australia for warranty. Could be a few more weeks at most."

How many months does it take Asus to replace a failed product? I have RMA'd out-of-production dead RAM to the USA and got the larger volume, higher spec replacement on my doorstep within a week.

*Edit* The answer is 11 weeks (to repair and return the card).

Asus Maximus II Formula : Intel Q9650 : Asus EAH4870X2/HTDI/2G : 4GB G.Skill F2 6400 CL4D-4GBPI-B : 4x Barracuda SATA II 500GB 32MB : Asus DRW-2014L1T : Cooler Master Aquagate Max. : Cooler Master COSMOS S case : SILVERSTONE OP1000-E 1000W PSU.
FragTamer
Level :
Posted:11/26/2010 10:17:00 AM # 19
a4, 11 weeks is a long time, but there is shipping involved as well I suppose. You should have it back soon. There were Catalyst driver updates regarding temps and fan speeds. Just make sure you have downloaded the latest drivers. I'm now running 2 x Asus/ATI 5870 DIS2 cards and they have only had pixel issues due to bad seating connection and reseating them a few times fixed this. My EAH4870X2 has had little use, but a good card since I fixed the RAM issue, but now sits in the cupboard (wasting away.)

With my two new cards, new Catalyst with GPU encoding assist enabled + an Intel Q960 3.0ghz CPU, it simply flies with recoding/compressing video. I should imagine EAH4870X2 will be able to assist in the same manner with new ATI drivers and this feature enabled.

Although only a DX10.1 card, it is still powerful enough to contend with modern games and just needs a good CPU and fast chipset behind it to get the most out of it without any bottle necking/bandwidth restrictions.

All the best.

a4
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:11/26/2010 10:43:00 AM # 20

Oh, it gets better. The "repaired" card is faulty. Looks like only one GPU is working. Half the FPS than before it failed. Windows (XP & 7) have the dreaded yellow and black ! and they stop the "ATI Radeon 4800 Series" device because it reports problems. The other "ATI Radeon 48700 X2" device is working. GPU-Z shows some really bizarre numbers and CCC Information Center only shows 1 adapter where it used to show 2. AND it appears to have lost half it's memory.

*sigh*

The vendor is in touch with the "supplier" (the cause of all the delays) and I have updated my original support ticket here at Asus.

Sick of all this.

Nice one Asus! Now, what card are they going to offer me (or are they going to want to "repair" it some more)?

Asus Maximus II Formula : Intel Q9650 : Asus EAH4870X2/HTDI/2G : 4GB G.Skill F2 6400 CL4D-4GBPI-B : 4x Barracuda SATA II 500GB 32MB : Asus DRW-2014L1T : Cooler Master Aquagate Max. : Cooler Master COSMOS S case : SILVERSTONE OP1000-E 1000W PSU.
First  Prev  1 2 3  Next  Last
Previous Topic:: Next Topic
Feedback for our Website ModeratorModerator: New Topic Related FAQ Related FAQ Forum Home Forum Home
Forum Model :
Legal Information | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Contact Us | ASUS Global
  ©ASUSTeK Computer Inc. All rights reserved.