Forgot password?
Join member

ASUS Support Home Location : Forum > Motherboard > P5E3  
  Forum  
  Topic : [Problem]Q6600 overclocking problem New Topic

Tech Points : 0
Posted:9/30/2008 6:54:00 PM # 1
Hello everyone!

I have the following problem: when trying to overclock Q6600 processor (stepping G0) from 2.4 (266 x 9) to 3.0GHz (333 x 9) my system becomes unstable - it freezes during OCCT system stability test and also BSOD appears during playing games. Please help to solve the issue since i've read a number of topics and reviews noting that Q6600 is able to work stable being overclocked to 3.0GHz even at nominal voltage of 1.3125v. 
I monitored the temperature of cores (with CoreTemp utilite) and got the following results: Idle - 38 Degrees Centigrate,  Under Load - 70-75 Degrees Centigrate.

My system:
MB - P5E3
CPU - Q6600 (stepping G0)
CPU Cooler - Asus Triton 70
GPU - XFX GF GTX280
Memory - 2x2Gb DDR3 OCZ 12800 Platinum
HDD - Seagate Barracuda 1000 Gb 7200rpm
Power supply - 1050 Watt

My BIOS settings:
Ai Overclock Tuner [Manual]
CPU Ratio Setting [09]
FSB Strap to North Bridge [Auto]
FSB Frequency [333]
PCIE Frequency [100]
DRAM Frequency [DDR3-1333MHz]
DRAM Command Rate [Auto]
DRAM CLK Skew on Channel A [Auto]
DRAM CLK Skew on Channel B [Auto]
DRAM Timing Control [Manual]
    1st Information : 7-7-7-20-4-48-8-4  
CAS# Latency [7 Dram Clocks]
RAS to CAS# Delay [7 Dram Clocks]
RAS# Precharge [7 Dram Clocks]
RAS# Active Time [20 Dram Clocks]
RAS# to RAS# Delay [Auto]
Row Refresh Cycle Time [Auto]
Write Recovery Time [Auto]
Read to Precharge Time [Auto]
      2nd Information: 8-4-6-4-7-4-7  
Read to Write Delay (S/D) [Auto]
Write to Read Delay (S) [Auto]
Write to Read Delay (D) [Auto]
Read to Read Delay (S) [Auto]
Read to Read Delay (D) [Auto]
Write to Write Delay (S) [Auto]
Write to Write Delay (D) [Auto]
DRAM Static Read Control [Disabled]
DRAM Dynamic Write Control [Disabled]

Ai Clock Twister [Light]
Ai Transaction Booster [Auto]
Boost Level  

**** Please key in voltage numbers directly! ****  
CPU Voltage [Auto]
CPU PLL Voltage [Auto]
FSB Termination Voltage [Auto]
DRAM Voltage [Auto]
NB Voltage [Auto]
SB Voltage [Auto]
Clock Over-charging Voltage [Auto]
Load Line Calibration [Enabled]
CPU GTL Voltage Reference [Auto]
NB GTL Voltage Reference [Auto]
CPU Spread Spectrum [Disabled]
PCIE Spread Spectrum [Disabled]

I also tried those BIOS settings for Q6600 overclocking provided by Wotcher in "Post Your Settings and Overclocks" topic, but the computer didn't even start.

Is there anyone who can help me with a piece of advise on what is the possible reason for the unstable system in my particular case? Is it CPU cooling related? Should I replace my Asus Triton 70 to a different cooler?

Thanks in advance,
Oleg

Reply Reply Quote & Reply Quote & Reply
Kensek
Level :
Tech Points : 1285
Posted:9/30/2008 7:00:00 PM # 2
I use to run my Q6600 at 422x9 on Air.

Don't use Auto for CPU, NB, CPU pll and Dram Voltage.

Set these volts within the BIOS.

CPUv = 1.35
NB v = 1.50
CPU Pll = 1.65
Dram v = what ever your Ram calls for, 1.8v?

Kensek
Level :
Posted:9/30/2008 7:07:00 PM # 3
There is also something wrong with your CPU HSF mount is load temps are going above 55C.  78C is indicative of a non properly installed HSF and or the TIM being used.

Here is a screen shot of my Q6600 running on a Zalman 9700CNPS

Wotcher
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:10/1/2008 12:51:00 PM # 4
Hi Oleg,

In addition to what Kensek posted.

I agree with him about the cooler/cpu temps, check your cooler is correctly mounted as I note with some dismay that it utilises the dreaded "pushpin" system and also check that the thermal compound is correctly applied.

Also about Auto for voltages, set the vCORE and vDIMM manually as the bios may well be under powering your memory modules if it is setting the vDIMM by the SPD table, but please be careful with the CPU PLL voltage as setting this too high has the potential to fry your cpu.

Could you please tell me which bios you are running?
Which thermal compound are you using?

You say you tried the settings from my template but which one as I don't have a 3.0GHz posted for the Q6600, did you try the 3.2GHz?

With each bios revision I have lost functionality at previous settings so those older bios templates probably won't work with a later release.

When you say "didn't even start" did it pass POST at all? If not then the problem is probably memory settings related, I've found that if the board does not respond at all with a reasonable vCore then 90% of the time it is memory related.

I would suggest trying: (if using bios 1201)

333MHzFSB x 9 multiplier for 3.0GHz

DRAM Frequency - DDR3 - 1333MHz (for now)

7-7-7-24 (The command rate can be set to 2N or Auto, leave the sub timings on Auto for now, this can be fine tuned later)

Ai Clock Twister - Light
Ai Transaction Booster - Enabled
Boost Level - 1

(if these settings fail revert both to Auto and try again, it can be fine tuned once the pc is booting.)

CPU Voltage - 1.25 - 1.35 for now (once you have the cpu stable you should be able to reduce this but run 1.25 - 1.35 for now to get it to boot, this is assuming your VID is 1.25)

FSB Termination Voltage - 1.5 (this is one of the most critical settings when overclocking quads)

DRAM - 1.9v

NB Voltage - I actually had no problems with this set to Auto so try Auto first, the setting can be adjusted later if required.

Leave the rest as you have posted above, let us know if you have any sucess with it.

Cheers.

E8600 @ 4.25GHz | Thermalright Ultra 120 eXtreme | Foxconn Black Ops | 4x 1GB Kingston HyperX PC3 11000 @ 1333MHz 7-7-7-20-1N @ 1.686v | Asus 8800GTS 640MB | WD 320GB SATA II + WD 500GB SATA II | Pioneer 212 18x SATA DVD-RW | Antec True Power Trio 650W | Thermaltake Sonata | Vista Ultimate x64 SP1

Posted:10/3/2008 11:29:00 AM # 5
Hello, Guys

First of all thank you for the replies

Secondly, I want to answer the questions that were addressed to me in the above replies:
- My current BIOS version is 1201
- 2 days ago I changed my cooler to TT Big Typhoon VX. I installed it on my own using a thermal compound that was included in the cooler's kit
- When I said "didn't even start" I meant that it had not passed POST at all

I've tried those new settings proposed by Wotcher above with CPU PLL set to 1.5v. Now system starts and seems to work fine. The CPU temperatures are as following: Idle - 36-38 degrees celsius, Load - 53-57 degrees celsius (the load temp was measured while running OCCT stability test). By the way OCCT test was succesfully passed with a result "STABLE".

But I still have some questions:

1. If run 3DMark 2005 @3.0 GHz the application is closing with an error after a few seconds of run. When I ran this software @2.4 GHz CPU freq. there was no anything similar. Why does it happen? If it is applcation related problem then why it had not happened @2.4GHz CPU freq?

2. I tried to change my settings as following (in order to get 3.2 GHz freq and make my DRAM operate at its nominal speed of 1600MHz): 
- FSB Frequency set to 400 MHz
- CPU Ratio set to 8
- DRAM Frequency set to 1600 MHz
- All the rest settings were left the same as for 3GHz
System started fine, but when I ran 3DMark 2005 test the picture on the screen was fully affected and became one color and then CPU freezed. Also when I ran OCCT test it stopped in a few seconds with and error. Are there any ideas on why it happened? Did I reach the limit of overclocking my CPU @3.0 GHz or some else settings are to be corrected to get the CPU working stable @3.2GHz? 

Kensek
Level :
Posted:10/3/2008 3:10:00 PM # 6
You need more volts.

CPU PLL with a Q6600 s/b 1.65v
NB v s/b 1.50v
SB 1.50  s/b 1.65v
Ram s/b at its spec Voltage.

Wotcher
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:10/4/2008 11:04:00 AM # 7
Hi again Oleg,

Good to see you're making progress :)

Can you please try 3.2GHz but with your memory at 1333MHz to try to isolate the cause.

Your questions generate more questions from me:

Is your PCIe Frequency locked to 100?

What is your vCore set to?

Are your memory modules in the black slots (A2 - B2)? as Asus has stated that these two slots are optimised for DDR3 1600MHz whereas the orange slots (A1 - B1) are for DDR3 1333MHz

Did you retain the same timings (7-7-7-24) for 1600MHz?
Did you try looser timings at all? (maybe 8-8-8-24)

3DMark05 is more graphics intense (as opposed to '06 which is cpu intense) so the "one colour screen" and freeze leads me to wonder if there is a possible fault with the card but until I know what your PCIe frequency is set to I'd just be guessing.

Also which operating system and nvidia driver are you running?

I think you'll find that the 3DMark05 errors (and OCCT) will be memory related as it is the only major settings change you have made, realistically if your vcore is 1.25v it should be enough for 3.2GHz, if it is set to 1.35v then it should be more than enough for 3.2GHz.

@ Kensek,

Mate, you're guessing now.

The NB voltage on this board adjusts with .02v increments on an odd number, there is no 1.50v setting, it would be 1.49v or 1.51v

The SB has a maximum of 1.2v so 1.65v as you have suggested is impossible.

These facts would make me extremely wary of using your CPU PLL settings recommendations, as I stated earlier, the CPU PLL set too high has the potential to fry the cpu.

E8600 @ 4.25GHz | Thermalright Ultra 120 eXtreme | Foxconn Black Ops | 4x 1GB Kingston HyperX PC3 11000 @ 1333MHz 7-7-7-20-1N @ 1.686v | Asus 8800GTS 640MB | WD 320GB SATA II + WD 500GB SATA II | Pioneer 212 18x SATA DVD-RW | Antec True Power Trio 650W | Thermaltake Sonata | Vista Ultimate x64 SP1

Posted:10/6/2008 4:11:00 PM # 8

Hello, guys!
Hope you are well
Thanks again for the replies

My OS is WinXP Pro SP3 (32 bit).
The current Video driver is ForceWare 177.41.
Memory modules are installed in the Black slots (A2-B2)
I've never tried to use timings looser than 7-7-7-24

From now on I'll use the same template with my BIOS settings as was in the very beginning in order to eliminate misunderstandings or a need for additional questions. 

At the moment I have to achieve stability with 3.0 GHz CPU freq. since the system was found not stable yesterday after running of Prime95 test - BSOD with "Memory_Management" problem appeared after 1.5 hours of the test. So it forced me to a desicion that only after 3.0 GHz  frequency is succesfully taken then I would be able to move next.
I also ran the same Prime95 test @2.4 GHz CPU freq. (1066 MHz memory freq.) and no problem was observed within 10 hours of testing. Therefore the "defective memory modules" cause is eliminated (I guess so).
I'm really confused now with the reason for that unstable system @3.0GHz.

My current BIOS settings:

Ai Overclock Tuner

[Manual]

CPU Ratio Setting

[09]

FSB Strap to North Bridge

[Auto]

FSB Frequency

[333]

PCIE Frequency

[100]

DRAM Frequency

[DDR3-1333MHz]

DRAM Command Rate

[Auto]

DRAM CLK Skew on Channel A

[Auto]

DRAM CLK Skew on Channel B

[Auto]

DRAM Timing Control

[Manual]

CAS# Latency

[7 Dram Clocks]

RAS to CAS# Delay

[7 Dram Clocks]

RAS# Precharge

[7 Dram Clocks]

RAS# Active Time

[24 Dram Clocks]

RAS# to RAS# Delay

[Auto]

Row Refresh Cycle Time

[Auto]

Write Recovery Time

[Auto]

Read to Precharge Time

[Auto]

Read to Write Delay (S/D)

[Auto]

Write to Read Delay (S)

[Auto]

Write to Read Delay (D)

[Auto]

Read to Read Delay (S)

[Auto]

Read to Read Delay (D)

[Auto]

Write to Write Delay (S)

[Auto]

Write to Write Delay (D)

[Auto]

DRAM Static Read Control

[Disabled]

DRAM Dynamic Write Control

[Disabled]

Ai Clock Twister

[Light]

Ai Transaction Booster

[Auto]

Boost Level

CPU Voltage

CPU PLL Voltage

FSB Termination Voltage

DRAM Voltage

NB Voltage

[Auto]

SB Voltage

[Auto]

Clock Over-charging Voltage

[Auto]

Load Line Calibration

[Enabled]

CPU GTL Voltage Reference

[Auto]

NB GTL Voltage Reference

[Auto]

CPU Spread Spectrum

[Disabled]

PCIE Spread Spectrum

[Disabled]

Please help to solve and eliminate the above mentioned problem with unstability @3.0 GHz. What can be the reason? If memory modules are the concern then why the system pass Prime95 test successfully at nominal values of CPU and DRAM freq.?

I'll keep you updated with the results of all changes once any new settings are proposed

P.S. I tried different CPU PLL settings (from Auto up to 1.65v), but no difference was observed between them

Thanks and best regards
Oleg

Kensek
Level :
Posted:10/6/2008 7:20:00 PM # 9
Put your AI Clock Twister back to Auto.

Set your DRAM Voltage to 1.9v, like it is.
Set the NB to 1.55v
Set the SB 1.5v to 1.60v if this voltage option is available
Set the SB to 1.12 (if possible)

Leave CPU, CPUpll, FSB vtt all on AUTO.

Now set the CPU FSB to 366.

Now look at your RAM Frequency set by the divider and select one that keeps it around 1333.

Save Bios changes and bootup.

Kensek
Level :
Posted:10/6/2008 7:24:00 PM # 10
Also running a 2x2GB Ram setup in XP Pro is very problematic.  Unless you are running a 64-bit OS I suggest you go to a 2x1GB setup.

Therefore if you are running a 2x2GB setup with XP Pro remove one stick of ram and leave only 1 in the B1 slot.

1 2  Next  Last
Previous Topic:: Next Topic
Feedback for our Website ModeratorModerator: Ulrich New Topic Related FAQ Related FAQ Forum Home Forum Home
Forum Model :
Legal Information | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Contact Us | ASUS Global
  ©ASUSTeK Computer Inc. All rights reserved.