SEARCH
ASUS Member ID
Password
Forgot password?
Join member

ASUS Support Home Location : Forum > Motherboard > A8N32-SLI20Deluxe  
  Forum  
  Topic : [Problem]Asus A8N 32-SLI-Deluxe; 1 long beep and 2 short beeps on startup New Topic
Blaine B.
Level :
Tech Points : 0
Posted:9/24/2008 4:03:00 PM # 1

AMD FX-60 processor
2 Seagate 320 gb (each) drives
2 gb PC3200 DDR RAM (2x1gb)
Sapphire Radeon X1950 Pro 256 mb video card
Asus A8N 32-SLI-Deluxe motherboard
Creative X-FI XtremeMusic sound card
Windows XP Home

Last night everything was working great. When I went to turn on the computer today, the video card fan stays on fast mode and the motherboard just keeps beeping this sequence of beeps (1 long beep and 2 shorter beeps)

Usually when the computer turns on the video card fans spins up quick for a few seconds but then slows and quiets down. Now the video card fan is just staying on fast mode. Also I am not getting anything on the screen either.

Any idea what is going on or what went wrong? Anybody know what these series of beeps indicate? Thank you in advance!

Reply Reply Quote & Reply Quote & Reply
billb
Level :
Tech Points : 797
Posted:9/24/2008 10:36:00 PM # 2
AMI BIOS beep codes

1 long, 2 short Failure in video system An error was encountered in the video BIOS ROM, or a horizontal retrace failure has been encountered

Check PSU voltages (under load of course).
Reseat all cables.
Reseat the video card. (clean the contacts with a pencil eraser).
Move the video card to another slot (make appropriate BIOS changes).
Install a different video card.
Install the video card in another computer.

Other stuff:
Reset the BIOS, and then re-do your settings.
Reflash the BIOS, and then re-do your settings.
Reflash the video card's BIOS

M5A99X EVO R2.0, Teem Vulcan (4x4gig), Samsung 840 Pro 256 gig
Blaine B.
Level :
Posted:9/25/2008 9:10:00 AM # 3
I tried moving the ram around in each of the four slots, and trying each RAM stick individually....no go.  Reseated the video card....no go....

I have not tried the PCIE Video card in the second slot yet because my harddrives would interfere.  That will require tearing the case down more, and I will get to that.....

However just for the heck of it I pulled all of the RAM out and tried starting it up and it gave me the same beep sequence.  Does that make any sense?  Thanks!

Oh almost forgot; it will not post, and I cannot get to the BIOS....so how would I even have a chance of upgrading the bios?

Henry
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 10
Posted:9/25/2008 9:30:00 AM # 4
Have you tried to reset the cmos yet? Remove the power cord and jumper the clear cmos jumpers for a few minutes. Some people even like you to take out the cmos battery. Make sure you note the way it came out so you can put it back the same way when ypu are ready to try again.

stealth
Level :
Tech Points : 836
Posted:9/25/2008 6:39:00 PM # 5

Quote:
Author: Blaine B. Posted: 9/25/2008 9:10:00 AM

However just for the heck of it I pulled all of the RAM out and tried starting it up and it gave me the same beep sequence.  Does that make any sense?  Thanks!

That means that one long and two short beeps is a memory error.

http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?id=20070321051503331&board_id=1&model=A8N32-SLI+Deluxe&page=1&SLanguage=en-us

Clean the memory pins with a pencil rubber and borrow a memory stick from a friend to try.

Is it possible to borrow another CPU to try?
May the problem is in the memory controller.

stealth

A8N32-SLI Deluxe, AMD Opteron 185 2.6Ghz(Toledo)@3003mhz(273X11, 1.3v,HT 1365mhz), Asus EN8800GTX 768MB, Corsair Twinx 2048-3500LLPRO@DDR546 3-3-2-6 1T 2.8v, WD120GB SATA2, WD250 SATA2, X-Fi Fatality, NEC ND 4551A LabelFlash, PCP&C 750Watt Quad.
Blaine B.
Level :
Posted:9/26/2008 11:35:00 AM # 6

Interesting.  All of the memory pins and the memory slots are clean.....I will try to get ahold of another stick of memory from a friend, although it would seem odd that both sticks of memory would go bad simulatenously.

I doubt I'd be able to get another CPU to test though!  Thanks for following this thread, hope to get this resolved eventually.

Blaine B.
Level :
Posted:9/26/2008 5:21:00 PM # 7
I did some more troubleshooting this evening...I was in my friend's shop and noticed a nice Compaq computer sitting under a table...I asked him if I could borrow it, he said fine.

Turns out the little beast has a PCI-E port! So I took my PCI-E video card out of my rig and swapped it into the Compaq. Now the Compaq was setup to use the onboard video so the power supply in the Compaq does not have an output for PCI-E power....anyway I turned it on and I got a message on the screen telling me that I need to plug in the video card power. That's totally normal, I know.....but given that the video card was able to send a signal to the monitor was a relief!

Next, I swapped the RAM from the Compaq to my rig and tried to start up.....same beep sequence as before.

THEN I noticed that the case fans in my rig were not spinning at all! I gave them a little whirl and they began to spin. Just very slowly. And we are talking about all the case fans! Now I have my case fans wired up directly to the power supply through and adjustable knob....not to the motherboard. So they should always be receiving full power given I have the knob for the fan controller turned up all the way.

I did a voltage check with my digital gauge and was getting 5.1 volts and 11.96 volts. That sounds close to spec, isn't it somewhere around 5-6volts for the low side and around 12 volts for the high side?

Then it got me wondering if the power supply was putting out the proper amperage. I have no idea how to check the amps that the power supply is putting out so that is all I was able to test tonight.

So I guess the video card is OK and so is the MEMORY....not sure about the motherboard yet but the fans not spinning at full power makes the power supply a suspect now too, I suppose?

stealth
Level :
Tech Points : 836
Posted:9/26/2008 6:16:00 PM # 8
Can you take the PSU from the Compaq PC and plug it in yours or borrow one from your friend to try?

Also can you unplug all the power plugs from the system and plug them again to make sure are seated correctlly?

Now you know that your Ram and your video card are fine the only way to tell if is the mobo or something else the problem you need to find another PSU and CPU to try.

stealth

A8N32-SLI Deluxe, AMD Opteron 185 2.6Ghz(Toledo)@3003mhz(273X11, 1.3v,HT 1365mhz), Asus EN8800GTX 768MB, Corsair Twinx 2048-3500LLPRO@DDR546 3-3-2-6 1T 2.8v, WD120GB SATA2, WD250 SATA2, X-Fi Fatality, NEC ND 4551A LabelFlash, PCP&C 750Watt Quad.
Wheelz
Level :
Tech Points : 394
Posted:9/26/2008 7:54:00 PM # 9
Sounds like a power supply issue for sure
But if it is not then you should Download MemTest86 and test your memory with that, it works about the best.
Leet it run for at least 6 passes on each stick of memory
Good luck

Asus M4A79 Deluxe, AMD Phenom II X4 940 CPU, Freezer 64 Pro Heatsink, 4gb (2x2gb) Kingston Hyper X 1066mhz, 3 - 320gb drives in Raid 0, (all 3 drives are single platter with 16mb of cache on each drive), 2 - LG 22x DVD/RW (1-SATA & 1-IDE, LightScribe), 2 - 500gb Seagate hard drives, 320gb Hitachi USB, Hauppauge HVR-1250 TV Tuner, 2 - Sapphire HD 4830 512mb video cards in CrossFireX mode, PC P&C Silencer 750 Watt PSU (Blue), All wrapped up in a ThermalTake V9 case, AWESOME case for the $!, Logitech X540 5.1 speakers, Logitech MX 620 cordless Laser mouse, ViewSonic 22" LCD, ViewSonic 17" LCD, & a 42" Panasonic Plasma, 3d06 Score - 20770, Messenger - gibblathotmaildotcom
Blaine B.
Level :
Posted:9/26/2008 8:20:00 PM # 10

Not sure of the rating of the power supply in the Compaq but I'm sure it's a lower wattage.  Not sure if that really matters or not, I'm not using 700 watts of power anyway....actually I'm not really sure.....but

Is there anyway to test the amps that the power supply is putting out?  Did those voltages seem within spec?

1 2 3  Next  Last
Previous Topic:: Next Topic
Feedback for our Website ModeratorModerator: Ulrich New Topic Related FAQ Related FAQ Forum Home Forum Home
Forum Model :
Legal Information | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Contact Us | ASUS Global
  ©ASUSTeK Computer Inc. All rights reserved.