Join member

ASUS Support Home Location : Forum > Motherboard > P5N-E SLI  
  Forum  
  Topic : [Problem]blue screen 124 New Topic
flgoose
Level :
Tech Points : 0
Posted:8/30/2008 7:11:00 PM # 1

This is a new system build.  I built this system with video editing in mind.

core duo quad q6700 processor
4 GB ocx reaper memory
sata dvd drive
120GB ide hard drive  (Bigger sata drive on the way)
30 GB IDE hard drive
ATI fireGL 7350 video

I originally installed XP pro and worked fine for about 3 days.  Than i started having this blue screen 124 problem.  I tried to isolate the problem but didn'tget anywhere.  the blue screen appeared at random with no particular reason.  some time it would happen while running software, some time just at rebooting, some times just idling overnight.  Iinstalled a clean copy of Vista home premium hoping the problem would disappear.  I was wrong, i still have the problem.  So i google it to see if anyone else had the problem.  It appeared that other peoples had the same problem running vista.  Didn't find any one with the problem running XP.  Also seem like most of the peoples with this problem were gamers, not that it should make a difference.  Anyway I found many claim of fixes,some of which didn't make sense.  Never the less, i tried them but i'm still having the problem.

Has any one else have experienced this problem?  Does any one has insight on it?  what exaclty is the 124 stop error anyway?

I found this morning that there is a newer version of bios available and plan on updating later on today.  Could this fix it?

The funny thing is that after the blue screen stop 124 i get not able to start windows because hal.dll is not found or corrupted.  the file is there so i assume it gets corrupted.  I get the same thing with XP as well.  In Vista i'll have to use the CD and repair it by restoring to an earlier time. 

Reply Reply Quote & Reply Quote & Reply
Epidemic30
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 16
Posted:8/30/2008 9:55:00 PM # 2

flgoose,
   whatever you do, DONT flash your bios while your board is in a unstable state or youll end up with a paperweight!!!!  what bios do you have on the board now? have you manually set all your voltages and ram timings in the bios along with all the other bios settings? 124 errors are WHEA cpu errors usually. there is also a reserve error listing that could have something to do with the pci-e slot or the hdd, but thats rarer. im sure all this boils down to is the settings in your bios are ouit of whack. use my first boot instructions and sett as much as you can with those. youll have to look up your ram and get the correct timings and voltage for them first. also when you shutdown, pull out 2gb of ram and leave them out until your stable. you can put them back later when your stable.

MOBO:EVGA P67 FTW~~~CPU:I5 2500K @4.789 VC.1.368 w/ IC Diamond 24ct.~~~RAM:G.Skill PI 1600 Cas6~~~HDD:WD Caviar Black 750gb~~~PSU:PC P&C Silencer 750~~~GPU:EVGA GTX560ti Sc~~~PPU:EVGA GTX260 216 Sc 55nm~~~CPU HS/F:EVGA Sc Cooler(Modded) for P/P with Yate Loon's 88CFM~~~CASE:Lian-Li PC-V2010B (Modded)~~~OS:Win 7 64Bit Ultimate~~~Monitor:HP 2159m~~~Hd.Set:steelSeries Siberia~~~ ------------------------------------- First Boot Instructions for P5N-D(750i) here: http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?id=20080616004242890&board_id=1&model=P5N-D&page=1&SLanguage=en-us
Lombardo
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 42
Posted:8/31/2008 2:28:00 PM # 3

Do you have a creative sound card ??? If yes get latest drivers from creative web site.

No creative sound card overwirte windows from within windows.  Should take care of your error.

flgoose
Level :
Tech Points : 0
Posted:8/31/2008 8:58:00 PM # 4
No i do not have a creative card, just using the onboard.  What do you mean overwrite windows from windows?

I updated the bios to the latest available and now i'm starting from scratch.  Since it seemed that  everytime i reboot, the hal.dll comes up as corrupted no matter what i do, i'm re-formatting the drive as well. 

I followed the sticky instructions on setting the bios.  I'm curious as to why do we have to do all that setting change anyway,  is this a problem particular to this motherboard? 

I'll let you guys know how it goes after re-installingwindows. 

thanks for the input,I appriciate the help.

Lombardo
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 42
Posted:9/1/2008 12:42:00 AM # 5

The error you have happens very  frequently.  For some reason from post I have seen doing a fresh install does not correct problem.   Overwrite is just  reinstalling over old program with out removing old program

I have seen a few other fixes so if need post.

Good Luck
http://pcsupport.about.com/od/fixtheproblem/ht/restorehaldll.htm
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314477
Info if get hal.dll back

Previous Topic:: Next Topic
Feedback for our Website ModeratorModerator: Ulrich New Topic Related FAQ Related FAQ Forum Home Forum Home
Forum Model :
Legal Information | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Contact Us | ASUS Global
  ©ASUSTeK Computer Inc. All rights reserved.