ASUS Support Home Location : Forum > Motherboard > P5E Deluxe  
  Forum  
  Topic : [Sharing]RAM for P5E Deluxe New Topic
Zaur
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 0
Posted:7/23/2008 2:50:00 PM # 1
I finally purchased all the parts for my new build.  The problem I have run into is that the RAM I purchased doesn't seem to like the board.  The QVL for 1066 RAM for this board is really sparse with nothing listed at 2x2 gigs.
I ended up with the following after doing a lot of reading/debating:
G. Skill F2-8500CL5D-4GBPK

The install of Vista 64 went fine but i am getting BSOD too much.  I ran memtest86+ and am getting a lot of errors.   I have set the DRAM timings and voltage to the manufacturer recommended settings.   Has anyone else used this brand RAM on this board, or at least have any ideas as to a solid 2x2 gig recommendation?  I guess I am trying to gather some more info before I really dive into the settings.
(I have posted to G. Skill too, just covering the bases.)

Thanks.

Reply Reply Quote & Reply Quote & Reply
P5E Deluxe, Bios-RF 0408, e8400, 8GB OCZ2P10662G, Diamond HD 4850, RAID 0 2xSeagate Barracuda ST3250410AS, Corsair TX650W, Vista 64 Ultimate
MeckWR28
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:7/25/2008 11:12:00 AM # 2

I have the exact same problem, except I'm using 2 x 2Gb of OCZ Reaper PC28500 (1066MHz) RAM. No matter what I do, it will not run at 1066MHz. It's fine at 800MHz, but I get BSODs at 1066, and for the period of time that it will actually run, it fails any memory test I throw at it. At 800MHz, though, it passes with flying colors. Any help on this would be great... Thanks.

Hope I didn't get stuck with a garbage motherboard...

Aleslammer
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 3
Posted:7/25/2008 11:06:00 PM # 3

This is very common problem with the P5E, with limited solutions other than running below 1066 at stock settings. I just started playing with the Deluxe was hoping the BIOS was going to be better with the X48.

This link is for the P5E3 Deluxe helped me a great deal, has a good discussion of the BIOS functions and base settings.
http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=3156&p=4

Here is a link to a OCZ tech trying for 1150 with a P5E Deluxe flashed to the Rampage.
http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/forum/showthread.php?p=266839

The G Skills are one of the most suggested fot the X38.

Rampage Extreme, Q6700 @ 3.6 (H2O), 4X1 Crucial PC3 16000, Boot Drive-WD1600AAJS, 2x4890, Mushkin 800w, Windows 2000/XP/Vista
MeckWR28
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:7/26/2008 9:11:00 AM # 4
Thanks for the response. None of the links really helped much, though, as I've tried pretty much EVERYTHING possible. I'm pretty familiar with using Asus BIOS and overclocking, and I've tried every workaround I could think of to try to get over this problem. No such luck.

As a side note, I've also tried Corsair Dominator PC2 8500 2 x 2Gb RAM, and had even less success. It will post and boot into Windows at the default 800MHz setting without any problems. There are no errors when I run memory tests. However, regardless of the settings I set in the BIOS to get to 1066MHz, it will not even post. Furthermore, when I manage to get back into the BIOS, my DRAM Voltage is always reset to AUTO. This was not the case with the OCZ RAM I used...

At this point, I'd really like to hear from an ASUS representative. This is obviously a motherboard compatibilty issue. I find it unlikely that the motherboard has "failures". It seems more likely that it's a piece of garbage that shouldn't have made it to the product line. Unfortunately, I cannot be refunded my money by Newegg.com, and I find it unlikely that an RMA will do anything for me asside from render me computer-less for upwards of two weeks...

It looks like I'm out about $250.

Notice to all others... AVOID THIS MOTHERBOARD! I would recommend the ASUS Maximus Formula II. My roommate has this board, and has no problems. In fact, both the Corsair AND OCZ RAM post to 1066MHz automatically for him...

Aleslammer
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:7/26/2008 7:02:00 PM # 5
MeckWR28
You might try flashing your BIOS to the Rampage Formula, has worked well on my P5E. The tech from OCZ did it and here is a link with the instructions and software needed so you can poke around and see if someone else has and what they think.
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=179580

Rampage Extreme, Q6700 @ 3.6 (H2O), 4X1 Crucial PC3 16000, Boot Drive-WD1600AAJS, 2x4890, Mushkin 800w, Windows 2000/XP/Vista
MeckWR28
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:7/27/2008 8:50:00 AM # 6
I have already tried this, and I get the same BSODs that I do with the P5E Deluxe board. The question I have it this... Did you do this with your P5E, or your P5E Deluxe. There is a big difference between these two boards. The Deluxe version is the X48 chipset, where as the other is the X38. There a lot of other differences, as well.

I have contacted ASUS with a technical inquiry. I really hope to be able to get a refund. This board really never should have been released. What angers me most is that it's only been out for, what seems to me, about two months. They've already abandoned it! They don't plan to revise the BIOS at all. That really upsets me, because I have no hope of ever getting a BIOS revision that is compatible with my RAM...

Zaur
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:7/27/2008 2:29:00 PM # 7
Thank you for your responses.  From what has been posted and what I have read in other places this sort of seems like a lost cause.  I will continue to play with the settings and perhaps will get lucky.  The RAM works fine at 800 mhz.  I really feel like ASUS did some false advertising in regards to the capabilities of this board.  It is obvious that this board does not natively support 1066.  If it did then there would not be such an issue with getting things to run at speed.  In hind sight this should have been obvious from the RAM QVL in the MB documentation.  There are plenty of QVL'd RAM at 800, but what is the point of that if the board is supposed to be capable of so much more.  Sort of like buying a BMW and driving it like Saturn (No offense to Saturn owners.)  Reading MeckWR28's posts just makes me even more frustrated.

Thanks again for your help and support.

P5E Deluxe, Bios-RF 0408, e8400, 8GB OCZ2P10662G, Diamond HD 4850, RAID 0 2xSeagate Barracuda ST3250410AS, Corsair TX650W, Vista 64 Ultimate
Aleslammer
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:7/27/2008 4:14:00 PM # 8
No doubt this could be a couple of bad boards or sets of ram.
I tried a mild overclock on a friends P5E Deluxe x48 with a E6700 @ 10x333 and set of 2x1 G Skills at 3:2, 1000mhz 5-5-5-15 2.0v, knew what voltages I needed cause the parts came out of my P5E X38, ran a couple graphic stress tests with no hicups and he was prime'n when I left. I've the same set in 2x2 (PC28000) I'll try them if you like they aren't the 1066s but they should/better clock that high.

hope things get better for yall.

Zaur
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:7/27/2008 4:47:00 PM # 9

I guess this is just how things go.  In all reality, this new build is awesome even running at 800 mhz.  I had been using a PIII 733 for the last 6 or 7 years, so to me it feels like I am riding on a rocket, so to speak.
I just ordered this set of RAM from NewEgg based on the Corsair website recommendations for this MB:
Corsair  TWIN2X4096-8500C5DF

I don't have nearly the amount of time to spend working on my PC as I would like to and I am trying to not get stuck eating ~$150 or so due to product return limitations.

All of the hardware I've purchased tests out properly, it's just getting the RAM and the MB to become friends.  I would like to overclock my machine.  So my thought is that everything should work well out of the gate, and then move on from there.

I will certainly post with an update regarding the Corsair RAM.

Thanks for the links.

MeckWR28
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:7/28/2008 2:28:00 AM # 10
Yeah, you can give it a shot, I imagine the Corairs will work. However, you'll need 4 of them to get 4Gb, and that's not what I want to do... I'd like to leave to option to upgrade to 8Gb at some point (since this motherboard "supports" it). Basically, as you said before, it's false advertising. The QVL should have been posted ON THE BOX. Regardless, I should have to swallow the extra money to buy other RAM. It's terrible marketing. In my personal opinion, this board should have never made it to the market.

As far as Aleslammer... Let me know what happens. It seems to me that you won't get them to 1066MHz. I've found other articles of people with GSkill RAM not getting it to post at 1066MHz. I'm curious what you find, though.

I'm almost 100% certain that the board itself is not "bad" in the sense that something has failed on it. I'm pretty sure that it is a development flaw that wasn't carefully looked at. I've tried my RAM in my roommates Maximus II Formula. It posted at 1066, and even OCed substantially. But it won't post 1066MHz in mine. I tried his 2 x 2Gb set of Corsair Dominator 1066MHz in mine... Yup, you guessed it, it only posted at 800MHz. When I tried to set it to 1066, the board wouldn't even post BIOS. At least with my OCZ RAM it would boot into Windows, then BSOD immediately.

1 2 3 4 5  Next  Last
Previous Topic:: Next Topic
Feedback for our Website ModeratorModerator: New Topic Related FAQ Related FAQ Forum Home Forum Home
Forum Model :
Legal Information | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Contact Us | ASUS Global
  ©ASUSTeK Computer Inc. All rights reserved.