SEARCH
ASUS Member ID
Password
Forgot password?
Join member

ASUS Support Home Location : Forum > Motherboard > P5K  
  Forum  
  Topic : [Problem]Never Flash BIOS in 64-bit or 32-bit OS! MUST READ!!!! New Topic
XJeffyX
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 21
Posted:7/1/2008 6:55:00 AM # 1
This thread is listed in the Elite Posts.
Hey everyone!
This is IMPORTANT to every motherboard regardless if it is a P5K, P5K SE, or Rampage Formula, or P5E, or any other Motherboard.
Never Flash BIOS in 64-bit mode, flashing in 64-bit is just going to brick your motherboard, because the program that ASUSUpdate, ASUS writes, is really designed for 32-bit OS, and even if it it works in 32-bit mode, you have a very HIGH risk of bricking your motherboard.
64-bit writes corrupted codes into the BIOS chip.
So your best bet is to use AFUDOS or EZ-Flash.
I Highly recommend flashing in DOS mode, because I had less chance of corrupting BIOS chip than EZ-flash.
AFUDOS:
Step 1: Use a floppy ONLY! You must prepare 2 floppy disks if your BIOS is 1 megabyte or higher. Format the floppy into bootable floppy (Create an MS-DOS startup disk). This will be your FIRST floppy disk. Insert USB Flash Drive before Computer starts.

Step 2: for your second floppy disk, don't format it into a bootable DOS disk, just make sure you format it clean. then put AFUDOS, and your BIOS file in there. Rename AFUDOS if it is not named AFUDOS, and rename you BIOS file to any other name you like, just as long as you can remember it, and it should not contain special letters in the name, and try not to use more than 8 letters for the name. this will be your SECOND floppy disk.

Step 3: Boot up the computer with the FIRST floppy disk. wait for DOS to finish loading.

Step 4: when it is finish loading, eject the floppy disk, then insert the second floppy disk.

Step 5: after inserting the seond floppy disk, type this following command:
afudos /iXXX.rom
(the XXX is your BIOS file name)

Step 6: Wait until flashing is completed, it should say a message saying that flashing is completed, please reboot you computer. If flashing failed, don't reboot the computer! Instead, reflash again, if it failed again, don't reboot, take the floppy disk to another computer and re-copy the file to the disk again, however, if it fails again, take the floppy disk out, take the floppy disk out, take a new one, put it in to another computer, and re-do Step 2.

Step 7: if flashing completed successfully, reboot the computer by shutting down the computer with the power button on your computer. If it didn't boot up, shut down again, then press power button, it should boot up this time.

Step 8: if it didn't power up for some strange reason, it is probably your RAM because it needs to be overvolted to work.

Step 9: Enter BIOS and enter the setting in your BIOS to your desired setting, then save changes and exit.

YOUR DONE!

now, for EZ-flash

Step 1: You should have your BIOS file in your USB flash drives, Floppy, or sometimes, CDs.

Step 2: Enter EZ-flash by pressing Alt + F2 when you see BIOS logo. You need to be quick.
Or you can go into BIOS by pressing DEL on POST (BIOS) logo and use EZ Flash from there.

Step 3: browse for the file you saved on the flash drive, floppy, CD. Use arrow keys and Tab to check for the file you saved.

Step 4: Press Enter to flash your BIOS.

Step 5: once it is finished, you're DONE! just reboot the computer like I previously mentioned.

Just remember, NEVER use the program ASUS includes to flash in Windows. Especially in 64-bit OS. Even if you know what you are doing, it can still fail. Success rate for ASUSUpdate is like 20%.

In case of a corrupted flash, this is what a BIOS chips looks like on P5K.
http://rocky.digikey.com/weblib/Intersil/Web%20Photos/20-8-DIP.jpg

Moderators, please make this a STICKY! Lots of people has this issue, and I want it to be clear for everybody so nobody complains about their computers not working anymore.

Reply Reply Quote & Reply Quote & Reply
Lapped Core 2 Duo E4300 @ 3.20GHz 1.53v 400FSB L2 Stepping, Lapped Arctic freezer 7 Pro, ASUS P5K 1201 bios SLIC & Vdroop modded, Zotac Nvidia 9500GT AMP! Edition, Sony AW-G170S S-ata DVD-+DL burner cross-flashed to Optiarc AD-7173S, Hitachi CinemaStar 7K160 S-ATA 3.0GB/s 160GB HDD with 46 reallocated sectors, 2 Segate 80 gigs IDE hdd, Apacer 2 GB RAM 2 stick 800MHz ratio 1:1, 4-4-4-12 overvolted to 2.15V,NB 1.40V, Windows Vista Ultimate x86 Service Pack 1 RTM and a Generic Garbage PSU by optimax 550w. Logitech Wave Keyboard, Microsoft Comfort Optical 1000, Samsung SyncMaster 730B monitor. Happy with my Acer Aspire One 150X!!!
Chen
Level :
Tech Points : 0
Posted:7/1/2008 4:08:00 PM # 2
Yas, thenk yiu. My moherbord might dye ef yiu did not tel mi. I am in 64bit, thak yiu.
thank yiu fur the reading.
Moderateur, pleese make thes a sticky! it save me.
Sory fur my bed engish. I can not it.

XJeffyX
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:7/1/2008 4:12:00 PM # 3
Hey Chen, Welcome to ASUS forums.
Are you trying to say,
Yes, thank you, my motherboard could have died if you did not tell me. I use 64-bit OS too.
Thank you for the instruction/ guide.
Is that what you are trying to say?
Quote:
Author: Chen Posted: 7/1/2008 4:08:00 PM

Yas, thenk yiu. My moherbord might dye ef yiu did not tel mi. I am in 64bit, thak yiu.
thank yiu fur the reading.
Moderateur, pleese make thes a sticky! it save me.
Sory fur my bed engish. I can not it.

Lapped Core 2 Duo E4300 @ 3.20GHz 1.53v 400FSB L2 Stepping, Lapped Arctic freezer 7 Pro, ASUS P5K 1201 bios SLIC & Vdroop modded, Zotac Nvidia 9500GT AMP! Edition, Sony AW-G170S S-ata DVD-+DL burner cross-flashed to Optiarc AD-7173S, Hitachi CinemaStar 7K160 S-ATA 3.0GB/s 160GB HDD with 46 reallocated sectors, 2 Segate 80 gigs IDE hdd, Apacer 2 GB RAM 2 stick 800MHz ratio 1:1, 4-4-4-12 overvolted to 2.15V,NB 1.40V, Windows Vista Ultimate x86 Service Pack 1 RTM and a Generic Garbage PSU by optimax 550w. Logitech Wave Keyboard, Microsoft Comfort Optical 1000, Samsung SyncMaster 730B monitor. Happy with my Acer Aspire One 150X!!!
Chen
Level :
Posted:7/1/2008 4:14:00 PM # 4
i thenk it was yas.
I thenk these derserve sticky!

Posted:7/2/2008 1:34:00 PM # 5
Ok, running 64 bit, don't have a floppy drive, and EZ-flash doesn't see any drive other than c: and a:.  I can't access my cd or flash drive.  What else can I do? 

XJeffyX
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:7/2/2008 2:30:00 PM # 6
First of all, Welcome to ASUS forum!
You can save your BIOS file in C: and flash it then delete it later.
Thats odd, your EZ flash should be able to recognize your Flash drive.
My EZ flash detects my flash drive, had absolutely no problem with it.
make sure your flash drive is inserted before you start the system.

Posted:7/3/2008 10:41:00 PM # 7

Thanks for the welcome!

And, you were correct, sort of.  It did recognize another flash drive.  Original one had a self inflicted issue....I had it encrypted. Ooops.

Thanks for the informative post.  Thankfully I read this before upgrading on my new MB as I would have probably just tried it in Vista.  Finally got it to recognize the e8400.  Screaming along again.

XJeffyX
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:7/4/2008 12:07:00 AM # 8
No Problem.
I gotta thank YOU for reading my post.
It's OK if moderators doesn't want to read/ or sticky this post. But I will always post in here to make sure every user of P5K reads this, because many users had this issue of flashing in x64. Including me before.

Den
Level :
Posted:7/5/2008 11:38:00 PM # 9
Hi,
Too bad i read this now :/
I ve flashed my bios with Asus update tool, and now i cant start my computer anymore.

I've tried Clear CMOS, to update with a floppy and usb drive, but nothing worked.

What can i do now ? buy a new bios chip ? i've read that P5K chip was soldered, is it right ? RMA ?

thx, and excuse my bad english

XJeffyX
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:7/6/2008 1:46:00 AM # 10
Welcome to ASUS forums!
You can buy new BIOS chip from http://bios-repair.co.uk/
Contact the boss first.
It is really rare that P5K BIOS chip is soldered, but mine is not soldered, most people's BIOS chip is not soldered. The BIOS chip is right beside the CMOS battery, the small black rectangle.
Ordering the BIOS chip will be so much cheaper than RMAing the motherboard.a
I do know a little bit of french, because I am in Canada.
Comment ça va?

1 2 3 4 5 6  Next  Last
Previous Topic:: Next Topic
Feedback for our Website ModeratorModerator: New Topic Related FAQ Related FAQ Forum Home Forum Home
Forum Model :
Legal Information | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Contact Us | ASUS Global
  ©ASUSTeK Computer Inc. All rights reserved.