Join member

ASUS Support Home Location : Forum > Audio Cards  
  Forum  
  Topic : [Sharing] New Topic
flateric
Level :
Tech Points : 0
Posted:4/23/2008 6:46:00 AM # 1
Thanks for the detailed explination ;-) if this also applies to Xonar DX, we should put this in FAQ.

Reply Reply Quote & Reply Quote & Reply
John
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:4/23/2008 12:34:00 PM # 2
I have been using this setup for a month now. It works for me but I didn't know why.
Thanks
is the signal output from the spdif 16 or 24 bit??

philsu
Level :
Posted:4/23/2008 3:53:00 PM # 3
Hello,
my experience with the D2X under vista 32 bit using media centre is that I've never had a problem obtaining spdif passthrough for dd/dts when the default sound device is set to digital under playback devices.

This includes using ac3 filter or ffdshow to passthrough the spdif. Indeed, I've found that if you do not set the digital out to default in vista, then dd/dts passthrough does not work- you only get 2 channel pcm- no matter how many channels or speakers vista or the xonar driver thinks you have. Vista basically seems to ignore the xonar control panel anyway. I can get spdif out when the enable spdif box in the xonar control panel is ticked or not ticked.....

Using the dd live/dts connect features of the D2X may be the easy way out, but I find this unsatisfactory because I dont want the signal to be de-compressed and then re-mangled to dd/dts. I just want the signal untouched to the av reciever.

Anyway, I'd just like to know why this very expensive audiocard causes 'pops' when using spdif passthrough, and the signal changes from dd/dts to pcm. I'm a bit miffed, because as I stated in my other post, before I bought the D2X, I just used the spdif header and my motherboard. This worked fine (no pops).

The reason I'm using the card was to play the linear pcm tracks from Bluray, as the D2X has a good analogue path- but the way the spdif is handled under vista is quite poor for a 190 Euro audio card.

Hopefully Asus can fix the popping noise in the next release of the drivers- in fact, I'm not really interested in a flashy control panel with more sound effects and percieved value for the D2X, I'd just like good, non 'popping' drivers.

Shame really, you pays your money you takes your choice.......

TC
Level :
Posted:4/24/2008 9:54:00 AM # 4

Quote:
Author: John Posted: 4/23/2008 12:34:00 PM

I have been using this setup for a month now. It works for me but I didn't know why.
Thanks
is the signal output from the spdif 16 or 24 bit??

I believe if you're using Dolby Digital Live, it's 16 bit, and if you use passthrough via the digital output, it'll depend on the source.

jaddi01
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:4/24/2008 5:25:00 PM # 5
I have to second this!  Also agree with Wong.  The audio "clicks and pops" over Spdif are crazy.  When an audio file is playing...all is good..  but upon returning to the desktop and just getting on with everyday matters, the clicks and pops continue.  It's as if the Spdif is not passing through a constant rate and the amp is have a problem identifiying it.  Although I'm no expert in matters of audio.  My OS is Vista x86, all other sound card drivers uninstalled and onboard deactived through BIOS.  Using TOSlink optical cable. 

EDIT:  Just thought I'd also add my card is a DX.  I posted here, while at the time of posting the DX forum is vary low on input and support.  Plus this problem seems to be Xonar-wide.

Drago
Level :
Tech Points : 11
Posted:5/5/2008 6:56:00 AM # 6
Somebody should make this sticky... Thanks for the detailed post and explanation. :)

Drago
Level :
Tech Points : 11
Posted:6/22/2008 5:05:00 PM # 7

*bump*

again... make this thread sticky!

TONO
Level :
Posted:9/9/2008 4:34:00 AM # 8
I AM HAVING THE SAME PROBLEMS. THAT ANNOYING POPPING SOUND WHEN A DTS OR DD FILM STARTS AND WHEN YOU EXIT THE  MEDIA APPLICATION.
ASUS NEEDS TO SORT THIS OUT

Brode
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:10/12/2008 2:19:00 AM # 9
SAME HERE - THE DTS/DD SIGNAL GOES SHORTLY AFTER NO SOUND IS OUTPUTTED BY THE PC, WHICH LEADS TO LOUD POPPING WHEN SOUND IS OUTPUTTED AGAIN.

PLEASE MAKE THIS STICKY!!!!

Atreides
Level :
Posted:10/29/2008 10:14:00 PM # 10
Just bought and installed my D2X the other day.  Having the same issue as noted above.  There's gotta be a simple fix to this because the problem seems simple.  I too am running S/PDIF into a Pioneer VSX-84TXsi.  My receiver is set to Auto Surround on the digital (opt) input.

When I first boot up Vista 64, though the D2X card is properly set up for S/PDIF out with DDL or DTS selected, with no sound being output from any sources the receiver is still defaulted to PCM (or PCM 96k).  Go into the Xonar control panel and run an audio test results in some odd behavior.  Each channel will output DDL / DTS, the receiver in turn switches to that mode and properly outputs to speaker, and then the receiver switches back to PM (or PCM 96k).  It will cycle this way for all speakers being tested, with the conclusion of the test reverting back to PCM (or PCM 96k).

If I launch a music app like MediaMonkey and play music - receiver properly switches from PCM to DDL / DTS with great sounding surround music.  Even if I pause playback, the receiver / amp will remain on DDL / DTS and therefore there are no popping or latency issues.  One I close the application, the receiver will default back to PCM (or PCM 96k).

Any techs at Asus getting this?

For everyone else out there using the S/PDIF connection, do you exhibit the same condition as I described in the audio test?  The popping / clicking is certainly receiver generated as it is switching between processing modes.  Unfortunately, I can't force my receive to "lock on to DDL / DTS" mode, it's going to interpret a signal and perhaps dault to PCM.

My guess is that Vista has a default PCM mode for the S/PDIF interface when in shared mode.  If the D2X is not locked for exclusive use (Analog path for upscale to S/PDIF), the S/PDIF path has a null PCM signal running on it.  When D2X is locked, the upscale to S/PDIF takes exclusive use of S/PDIF path, forcing receiver to interpret signal properly.  Here's where the toggling occurs if the sounds output or intermittant exclusive use; and hence the popping / clicking.

I've tried disabling the S/PDIF output via Vista playback options, which had no bearing on this situation, so this might discredit some of my above assumptions.  Ironically, disabling S/PDIF in Vista playback options does not effect output over S/PDIF via the analog upscale path.

ASUS !!  Please help us find a solution here - it's simple!  How to we "hold high" the S/PDIF upscale path?

Cheers

1 2 3 4 5 6  Next  Last
Previous Topic:: Next Topic
Feedback for our Website ModeratorModerator: New Topic Related FAQ Related FAQ Forum Home Forum Home
Forum Model :
Legal Information | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Contact Us | ASUS Global
  ©ASUSTeK Computer Inc. All rights reserved.