SEARCH
ASUS Member ID
Password
Forgot password?
Join member

ASUS Support Home Location : Forum > Motherboard > P5W DH Deluxe  
  Forum  
  Topic : [Problem]ASUS P5W DH Deluxe Stuck "Auto-detecting 4th primary master" New Topic
ShockUK
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 0
Posted:4/23/2008 3:58:00 AM # 1
Evening all,

Great to see so many people helping one another, hope someone can help me?

I bought my first Asus in many years last October (6 months ago), and my initial board was DOA :( After getting this replaced my system has run rock solid until Saturday just gone :(

Basically every time I boot my system stops at the splash screen, if I press TAB to display post the BIOS stops every time and hangs on "Auto-detecting 4th Primary Master" I've tried everything (see below) and now I fear I'm stuck with a duff, eBuyer where I bought the mobo won't help they state that I am outside of the 28 period for faults and now it's over to the manufacturer, everything I've tried on asus.com tells me to go to the reseller. Any ideas what I can do? Have I missed something?

To fault find I've done the following:

-Disconnected all IDE/SATA drives leaving just the CPU, Memory and Graphics with just a PS2 keyboard connected - same problem.

-I've removed all memory and replaced a single pair of DIMM's, first in the first pair of banks, then the second and tried other combinations in case of memory failure- same problem.

-I tried removing and reseating the graphics card, cpu and re-applying new thermal compound to my CPU - same problem.

-Tried inserting a USB memory stick formatted FAT and placing the BIOS file on to initiate the FLASH tool, no luck - same problem.

-Tried following one of the member posts on the forum to recover AMI BIOS from floppy, floppy light does not come on - same problem.

Core System Spec:
-ASUS P5W DH Deluxe
-Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 G0 Stepping (2.4GHz 1066MHz) Socket 775 L2 8MB
2x OCZ 2GB Kit (2x1GB) DDR2 800MHz/PC2-6400 CL 4-4-4-15 PLATINUM XTC (4Gb total)
-Sapphire HD 2900 Pro 512MB GDDR3 Dual DVI ViVO PCI-E Graphics Card
-Thermaltake ToughPower W0117 750W PSU
-Seagate ST3250410AS 250GB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 16MB Cache
-Windows Vista 64Bit Ultimate

Many thanks in advance, any advice on handling the return would be great!

Kind Regards
Dan

Reply Reply Quote & Reply Quote & Reply
ShockUK
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:4/23/2008 4:48:00 AM # 2
I forgot to mention that I also tried clearing the CMOS and trying again, same result.

Cheers
Dan

steve-p
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 5
Posted:4/24/2008 7:09:00 AM # 3
If it's hanging on detecting a drive when there are none connected, it sounds like a motherboard fault. It's hard to see what else could cause it.

P5W DH Deluxe, Antec P180, Antec Neo 550W PSU, E6700 Core 2 Duo, 4GB PC2-6400 800Mhz, 4 x 500GB SATA2 (RAID10 1TB), 8800GTS, Dell 3007WFP-HC (30" 2560x1600), G5, G15, Saitek X52 Pro, Vista Ultimate 64 bit

Tech Points : 525
Posted:4/24/2008 11:31:00 AM # 4
The most common cause for this hang is the USB ports so make sure that there are n USB devices attached.

Otherwise check that the jumpers for the unused RAID ports are correctly placed.

ShockUK
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:4/24/2008 2:30:00 PM # 5
Thanks for the reply, nothing changed on the system so it's really strange, working one day dead the next.

I double checked my jumpers and they all appear correct, I also made sure that no USB devices were connected, simply a PS2 keyboard and the DVI cable for the graphics + of course power :)

I've since contacted trading standards who told me to ignore eBuyer, they are under contract to sort me out despite what there returns department said, and the kind people at trading standards even sent me a template letter to get the action started! It's just a pain that I will have to wait a week or two to get this resolved using only my parents PC (real speed machine this) :)

Thanks again, but looks like the board simply developed a fault :(

Dan

Previous Topic:: Next Topic
Feedback for our Website ModeratorModerator: New Topic Related FAQ Related FAQ Forum Home Forum Home
Forum Model :
Legal Information | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Contact Us | ASUS Global
  ©ASUSTeK Computer Inc. All rights reserved.