Join member

ASUS Support Home Location : Forum > Eee Family > Eee PC 900/Linux  
  Forum  
  Topic : [Problem]RESTORE FACTORY SETTINGS/COMPLETE REFORMAT New Topic
Toole
Level :
Tech Points : 0
Posted:4/20/2008 9:39:00 PM # 1
I am am strongly considering buying an Eee 900 Linux version but i have a few queries, if i were to install XP instead of Linux on my Eee, is there a reinstall disk containg Eee Xandros included in the box, and if so would i encounter any problems with the partition type etc. during the reinstall?

Reply Reply Quote & Reply Quote & Reply
Stan
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 117
Posted:4/20/2008 11:03:00 PM # 2
I assume that it is the same as with the 7" series but don't know for sure.  With the 7 the dvd that comes with the unit has everything you need.

You install xp following the instructions in the book.  It is very easy and straight forward - step by step.  Then if you want to go back to the original, just follow the directions - basically stick the dvd in the drive, and boot your unit, it will return it to the out of box state.

There are lots of wikis online relating to both operations if you get stuck.

I tried an xp install and it failed due to me not doing things quite right - restored to the linux system then reinstalled xp and have been more than happy with the unit.

Be glad to answer any other questions you might come up with as will others on this board.

StephenH
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:5/30/2008 1:37:00 AM # 3

Quote:
Author: Stan Posted: 4/20/2008 11:03:00 PM

I assume that it is the same as with the 7" series but don't know for sure.  With the 7 the dvd that comes with the unit has everything you need.

You install xp following the instructions in the book.  It is very easy and straight forward - step by step.  Then if you want to go back to the original, just follow the directions - basically stick the dvd in the drive, and boot your unit, it will return it to the out of box state.

There are lots of wikis online relating to both operations if you get stuck.

I tried an xp install and it failed due to me not doing things quite right - restored to the linux system then reinstalled xp and have been more than happy with the unit.

Be glad to answer any other questions you might come up with as will others on this board.
Apparently, it isn't quite the same.  I just tried to restore my EeePC 900 Linux from the DVD image using the instructions for formating a USB memory card.  Unfortunately, it seemed to restore, but doesn't give me the initial setup screen for user name.  It just pops up a login window and then tells me that the password is incorrect if I try to use my old one or if I leave it blank.  I really need to know how to fix this as my little EeePC is essentially useless until it is fixed.

I have a technical inquiry in now to see if perhaps there is an updated restore image available.

V/r,

StephenH

Regards, StephenH
Stan
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:5/30/2008 1:49:00 AM # 4
You can't restore directly to a usb drive, you have to restore to the ssd, though you might snoop http://www.eeeuser.com wikis for instructions to get things to a usb drive.

StephenH
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:5/30/2008 5:25:00 AM # 5
I'm not trying to restore to the usb drive.  I was following the instructions in the manual (pages 5-4 through 5-6) for using a USB Flash Disk for system restore.  It appeared to work just fine, but when I rebooted after it completed, I wound up with the problem I mentioned above.

StephenH

Regards, StephenH
Stan
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:5/30/2008 9:09:00 AM # 6
Sorry, didn't see that in the manual, guess I'd better dig it out and read it again :-)

DavyR
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:5/30/2008 7:52:00 PM # 7

I had the same problem; after restoring from the USB drive as directed in the book. Afterr restoring, reboot using the F9 while it boots and then select restore factory settings.  You can then enter a password to begin again.  This takes it back to the "out-of-the-box" settings.  You also might want to look at the "missing icon" thread here if you have problems after running "add/remove software."
A side note--it took me 4 tries to catch the boot correctly to enter the restore settings.

Previous Topic:: Next Topic
Feedback for our Website ModeratorModerator: New Topic Related FAQ Related FAQ Forum Home Forum Home
Forum Model :
Legal Information | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Contact Us | ASUS Global
  ©ASUSTeK Computer Inc. All rights reserved.