SEARCH
ASUS Member ID
Password
Forgot password?
Join member

ASUS Support Home Location : Forum > Motherboard > Striker II Extreme  
  Forum  
  Topic : [Sharing]How To Re-Apply Thermal Compound On NB / SB and Voltage Regulators New Topic
Big Myke
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 25
Posted:4/20/2008 5:05:00 AM # 1
This thread is listed in the Elite Posts.
Well here goes nothing.  As requested by an Asus Moderator this will be my first time giving a step by step process on a forum.  There may be revisions to this post as time goes by.

What You Need:
First off you will need a phillips screwdriver, a tube of thermal compound that is non-conductive (Arctic Cooling MX-2 or Arctic Silver: Ceramique) A bottle of isopropyl alcohol , Q-tips, coffee filters or a lense cleaning cloth.  Basically anything that is lent free.

The Steps
1.  Lay the board flat on some foam or something that has good cushioning support.  Start off my unscrewing every single screw that is holding the cooling unit down so that the only thing that is keeping the heatinks into place is the thermal pads.  Note that the heatpipe system is 1 whole unit.   Once the screws are removed it also releases the backplates from behind the motherboard. 
Do not move or shift the motherboard.  This will keep the holes of the motherboard alligned with the holes on the backplate.  The northbridge screws and the southbridge screws are all the same size.   The screws that hold the heatsinks down on top of the voltage regulators are a little bit shorter.  Keep them seperated.

2.  Once all screws are removed, start by gently wiggling from side to side on the north bridge, south bridge and both mosfet heatsinks.  Before lifting up make sure all heatsinks will be released from the board at the same time.

Clean the Heatsinks Chip Cores and the heatspreaders on the voltage regulators.
3. First put on some disposable gloves We want to keep skin oil off your heatsinks and cores. Put a little Isopropyl Alcohol Q-tip or cloth and in circular motions, try and soften the factory paste from the heatsinks and cores.  Once the paste is softened remove all the factory thermal paste. Make certain to clean any facotry paste that may have worked its way off the chip.
http://i28.tinypic.com/a15lbd.jpg
http://i26.tinypic.com/rsu9s1.jpg
http://i29.tinypic.com/s2fn0l.jpg
http://i32.tinypic.com/29oh2j8.jpg
The image “http://i28.tinypic.com/2dn8y8.jpg” cannot be displayed, because it contains errors.
http://i31.tinypic.com/k4e8sx.jpg
4.Once the paste is softened remove all the factory thermal paste. Make certain on the cores to clean any old paste that may have worked its way off the chip.

Apply Thermal Paste

5. The usual instructions apply as to the application of MX-2 or Ceramique. Place a small bb worth of MX-2 on the SB and 1/2 a bb worth on the NB, spread a micro thin layer accross the cores with a razor or credit card.   I personally used my index finger to thin out the thermal paste evenly across each core.  As shown in the pictures...I applied more than a micro thin layer.

http://i25.tinypic.com/2mzw9yw.jpg
http://i32.tinypic.com/vnilp3.jpg

6. Do not forget to apply thermal paste on each headspreader on the voltage regulators.  Put as much as shown in the picture.  I used a tooth pick to help spread the paste evenly on top of the heat spreader.
http://i28.tinypic.com/2vwzf2o.jpg

Reattach the heat pipe system

7. Align the heat pipe system back over the mobo and drop into place.  Make sure all screws are tightened half way into the motherboard before you tighten them all the way.  Don't forget that the backplates need to catch the screw as well.  each screw is tappered to ensure that you cannot overtighten to the motherboard.  Tighten each screw until you can no longer tightened it anymore.  The motherboard was laying on its foam bed the whole time.

Congrats! You are all done.   I  suggest booting right into the bios to check your SPP (Northbridge) and MCP (Southbridge) Temperatures.

Below you can find some FAQ Questions about doing this install.

A) Any word on Asus allowing the NB and SB and Mosfets to be taken off without voiding the warranty?

B) What are you guys using to clean off the NB and SB thermal compound?

C) If anyone has already done this and reapplied new thermal compound have you seen an improvement in stability and tempatures? If so what temps do you have

D) What problems have you guys run into before/after reapplying the thermal compound on the NB and SB

E) Any other thoughts or ideas you would like to provide for me and anyone else that would like to reapply the thermal compound

A. This will not void your warrenty with Asus.  You are not altering your motherboard.   You would void the warrenty if you were to lap the heatsinks to a nice shiney finish after removing the factory thermal paste.

B. I use 92% isopropyl alchohol to soften and remove the factory thermal paste.

C. About 43-48C with 1.5V on the SPP and MCP.  I previously had close to 60C on the SPP and 51C on the MCP with factory paste.   My Striker Extreme 680i ran 73C on SPP and 53C on the MCP with 1.3v on SPP and 1.5v on MCP with stock cooling.

D. Nothing much,  just make sure that the backplates catch as you are screwing down the heatsinks

E. I would recommend you change this because you never know how well the heatsinks are making contact with the SPP, Northbridge, Voltage Regulators.  Every motherboard is different.   Lower temperatures lengthens the lifespan of your motherboard. ;)   If you have troubles removing the factory paste with a q-tip, try using a tooth pick and lift the paste from underneath itself.  I found that using a tooth pick was much easier and then using a q-tip to finish to cleaning.

Reply Reply Quote & Reply Quote & Reply
Slim
Level :
Tech Points : 41
Posted:4/20/2008 5:31:00 AM # 2
Myke you rock man!
Anyways, I recommend people buying the Artic Clean kit from newegg because that is the safest way to clean off the thermal paste from the chips and making sure you dont damage them.

Also, dont lap the heatsinks as Myke said that will VOID your WARRANTY!!!

ASUS Striker II Extreme (BIOS 1104) │ Intel C2Q Q9450 (Stock) │ Thermalright 120 Extreme (Lapped w/ Yate Loon UV Reactive) │ CSX Diablo 4Gb DDR3-1333 9-9-9-18 2T @ 1.60v │ eVGA GeForce [2] 8800GT SC in SLI │ WD Raptor 150Gb 10,000Rpm │ WD Raptor X 150Gb 10,000Rpm │ Maxtor MaxLine Pro 500Gb │ WD Caviar Black 1Tb 32Mb Cache 7200Rpm │ Auzuntech X-Fi PreLude 7.1 Sound Card │ LG Super Multi Blue Blue-Ray/HD-DVD Rom Drive │ ASUS DRW-2014L1T DVD-Rw Drive │ Sony Floppy Drive │ Corsair TX750 Watts PSU │ Thermaltake Armor+ (w/ SilverStone ESA Commander Module)
Big Myke
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:4/20/2008 5:47:00 AM # 3
Thanks slim!  I too have used Arctic clean kit.  Works well none the less.   Blah, I see a few typos and run-ons.  I can't edit my post more than once =(   Oh well.

Ridesy
Level :
Tech Points : 128
Posted:4/21/2008 8:14:00 PM # 4
Myke,

Thanks for the time you have spent on this - so NOW a sticky!

PS: I have no confirmation from Asus about warranty's, but I have been doing this type of thing for years and provided you don't bend, break or lose any bits I have never had any warranty issues!

Just make sure you don't lose any of the securing pins for the heatpipe as getting spares WILL be a problem!!!!!!

Ridesy

"IF IT AINT BROKE - FIX IT 'TILL IT IS"
Kensek
Level :
Tech Points : 1285
Posted:4/22/2008 9:42:00 AM # 5
I've done this on my last 5 boards.  2 - P5W DH, P5K Dlx, Maximus Formula, Rampage Formula.

On My Rampage I even replaced the spring loaded pushpins with 4-40 nylon bolts/screws and nylon lock nuts.

The bolts secure the Heatsinks down much more securely and flushly and reduce the temps another 2-3C.

Check out the Temps while the CPU is being OCd by 40% and the VGA by 25% and the Ram by 7.5%

Slim
Level :
Posted:4/23/2008 6:00:00 AM # 6
Those are some nice temps man. I think it was great that ASUS finally uses screws on the motherboards.

ASUS Striker II Extreme (BIOS 1104) │ Intel C2Q Q9450 (Stock) │ Thermalright 120 Extreme (Lapped w/ Yate Loon UV Reactive) │ CSX Diablo 4Gb DDR3-1333 9-9-9-18 2T @ 1.60v │ eVGA GeForce [2] 8800GT SC in SLI │ WD Raptor 150Gb 10,000Rpm │ WD Raptor X 150Gb 10,000Rpm │ Maxtor MaxLine Pro 500Gb │ WD Caviar Black 1Tb 32Mb Cache 7200Rpm │ Auzuntech X-Fi PreLude 7.1 Sound Card │ LG Super Multi Blue Blue-Ray/HD-DVD Rom Drive │ ASUS DRW-2014L1T DVD-Rw Drive │ Sony Floppy Drive │ Corsair TX750 Watts PSU │ Thermaltake Armor+ (w/ SilverStone ESA Commander Module)
Slim
Level :
Posted:5/11/2008 2:53:00 AM # 7
Guess what people, I did it and Im glad I did!

Removed heatsink city from SIIE, cleaned crappy thermal paste, applied MX-2, put back heatsink city and now temps are 32c for NB in idle (48c before) and 31c in idle (46 before) for the SB. They go up to 44c when they are in load and since I still dont get my case, I think this temps will go even lower with all the yate loon Im putting in my Armor+.
After doing this, I seriously recommend it to everybody. It is SUPER EASY! as long as you keep your motherboard on the plastic that came with it in the box so the backplates will stay in place. Takes around 40mins if you take your time to do it good. Im glad I did this and now 1.5v wont be a problem for my SIIE.

I have also installed my Thermalright 120 Extreme but so far, I have NO fan on it. Temps for my Quad are 44-46c in idle (shouldnt they be lower?) and for Load they go up to 64c. I have to keep in mind I have no fan on my 120E and also my house is kinda hot today. Will see how well the fans and the case helps on this. I remember for my E6600, when I placed in the Zalman9700, my temps went from 64c(idle) with the intel fan to 26c (idle) with the Zalman and 38c for load (at stock speeds 266Mhz FSB). I think the fan will really make a difference with my Quad.
Also, I want to mention that my heatsink gets REALLY hot, I was worried that I didnt do a good job with the paste and installation but it looks like I did because after 5 mins of orthos my 120E gets really hot to the touch (top part) so I guess the Artic Silver 5 is really working as well as the lapping I did to my 120E and the cleaning with Artic Purifier. Now I just need a fan and place this monster on my case.

In conclusion, I recommend this since it will improve your NB and SB temps a lot and will leave more room for OC specially if you are using Air.

Big Myke
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:5/11/2008 10:29:00 AM # 8
good to hear good things from you about replacing the tim process.  Cheers.

Arctucas
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 80
Posted:5/27/2008 4:56:00 AM # 9

Quote:
Author: Kensek Posted: 4/22/2008 9:42:00 AM

I've done this on my last 5 boards.  2 - P5W DH, P5K Dlx, Maximus Formula, Rampage Formula.

On My Rampage I even replaced the spring loaded pushpins with 4-40 nylon bolts/screws and nylon lock nuts.

The bolts secure the Heatsinks down much more securely and flushly and reduce the temps another 2-3C.

Check out the Temps while the CPU is being OCd by 40% and the VGA by 25% and the Ram by 7.5%

Man, do you live in freezer?

Those temps are almost unbelievably low for air cooling, especially the OEM crap heatpipes!

E6750@3.6|996599@900 Linked&Synced| 2x eVGA 01G-P3-1373-AR in SLI|4xST3320620 RAID 0+1|2xWD1600AAJS RAID 0|eSATA-HD502HI|HP 840i|TG1100-U95|Z-5500|305T|Tt VA8003SWA|Cooling by Thermalright® (HR-03 Plus|HR-05SLI| HR-05SLI/IFX| 2xHR-07|2xHR-09S Type2|Ultra-120 Extreme)|Windows 7 Ultimate 64
Kensek
Level :
Tech Points : 1285
Posted:5/27/2008 9:51:00 AM # 10
Close enough, it is Called Chicago, Illinois.   And it was a Brutal and Snowy winter.

BuT I learned to use my Rampage as a Heat Source and a Snow Melter.

Now if I can only figure out how to make it power my Car.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9  Next  Last
Previous Topic:: Next Topic
Feedback for our Website ModeratorModerator: Ulrich New Topic Related FAQ Related FAQ Forum Home Forum Home
Forum Model :
Legal Information | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Contact Us | ASUS Global
  ©ASUSTeK Computer Inc. All rights reserved.