SEARCH
ASUS Member ID
Password
Forgot password?
Join member

ASUS Support Home Location : Forum > Eee Family > Eee PC 8G/Linux  
  Forum  
  Topic : [Problem]CPU Cooling Fan staying on premanently - even when turning on from cold New Topic
Issy
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 0
Posted:3/12/2008 10:09:00 PM # 1

I have a new (3 days old) Eeepc - 8G Linux and the cpu fan stays on permanently. It started doing this when I used it for a few hours, since then it comes on permanently even from cold.

Any ideas?

Ian

Reply Reply Quote & Reply Quote & Reply
Soondae
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:3/17/2008 10:31:00 PM # 2
Yes my 8G is now doing the same thing with the fan runnng at full speed. I see that  a new bios version  404 has been released to address this. I have downloaded it and now  I'm trying to figure out how to flash the Eee PC.

I'll post back when I have that accomplished.

Roumieux
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:3/19/2008 4:50:00 AM # 3
Hello,
I have an eee-pc and I noticed too that after about half an hour, less when you play music, the fan is running and never stop. And I think it is quite noisy after the silence of the boot. I noticed also that the eee is heating quite quickly.
I sent it to warranty and they changed the motherboard but the problem is still here.
So I don't know if my problem is "normal' or if I should insist.
Is there an easy way to take the temperature under Xandros (no joke!) ? How can I compare it with others ?
Is the Bios a key in this case (I had the 0803 and now the 0703).
Thank you from Paris in advance for your answers !

Tremblay
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:3/21/2008 12:48:00 AM # 4
There is a BIOS update in the support section [ 0404 ] I'm waiting for an answer from tech support to install the ROM file and also asked why it's not in the Add / Remove section of the eeepc.

Roumieux
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:3/21/2008 2:20:00 AM # 5
Great !
Let us know if it works and how to install it !
Do you know if this update suits with the 4G model ?

In freeench:
Super !
Dis nous si cela fonctionne et comment l'installer !
Sais-tu si cette MAJ marche avec les modèles 4G (c'est le mien).
Merci d'avance

O.

tpterm
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:3/21/2008 10:25:00 PM # 6
There is a chapter on http://wiki.eeeuser.com/howto:updatebios on how to upgrade BIOS.
There is a whole lot of goodies on this Wiki in general.

Roumieux
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:3/22/2008 5:02:00 PM # 7
Is yours heating too ?
Mine is heating after a few minutes...
Anybody knows a good software to measure temperature ?
I know there's one for XP but I use Xandros.

O

Shannon
Level :
Posted:3/22/2008 8:48:00 PM # 8
Hi,

I posted this a moment ago on forum.eeeuser.com.  I thought I would post it here too as its very much in the same vein.

As an aside, to check you tempreture on you eee pc under linux:

sudo modprobe thermal
    cat /proc/acpi/thermal_zone/TZ00/termperature

This should return somthing like 53 C if its working, if not 0 C.  The standard fix, which is very tempory is to switch off, remove the battery, reattach and switch on.  With me this only works for a couple of hours.  Sucks right?

I suspect this is an issue with the bios or somthing even lower down as its so common and is apparent at bios level (under the os) as the fan kicks in full speed when the temp sensor fails.

Be interesting to know how it behave under windows but I really don't feel like checking that out for my self :)

Hi All,

I wanted to post a question and share my experience with you of failure of temp sensor and fan speed.  I believe the two are related, that is; the cause is the bios fails to not only to report but can't get the cpu temp for itself and sets the fan to maximum speed mode to protect the cpu.

My question is:
          do all 8g owners have this issue or is it a hardware defect with only some?

I put this question to asus tech support and they told me i should go back my reseller for assistance but didn't answer the question.  All the reseller could possible do is replace the battery or laptop, they don't have any technical expertise.

In my case the repeatable, quantifiable test is to load the thermal (or eee) module and  and read the temperature file.  If I get 0 the fan will always be blowing hard and relatively noisy (enough to be annoying in a quiet room), around the same as if i were to set the fan speed to 100% using the eee module.  I've built a stock kernel (2.6.24.2) with unionfs patch, the ausu_acpi module and eee module. 

I can also let you know that if the thermal module isn't reporting temperature neither will eee.

Thanks for your help in advance

Roumieux
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:3/23/2008 6:09:00 PM # 9
Thanks for your answer.
Apparently the sensor works since with your help I can get the temperature of my eee-pc.
Maybe there's a utility to track the temperature and make some nice graphics ?
Anyone tried the new Bios 0404 ?

O.

Will84
Level :
Posted:3/23/2008 7:07:00 PM # 10
Hi

I just got my eee a couple of days ago and seems that i have the same problem as u. My fan is going crazy!!

Anyone who could explaine how to update the new bios update, i dont have update through add/remove...

regarding the temp??do i have to install anything or is it already installed??

im definetly a newbie using linux as well..
plz help me out guys....

/Will

1 2 3 4  Next  Last
Previous Topic:: Next Topic
Feedback for our Website ModeratorModerator: New Topic Related FAQ Related FAQ Forum Home Forum Home
Forum Model :
Legal Information | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Contact Us | ASUS Global
  ©ASUSTeK Computer Inc. All rights reserved.