Join member

ASUS Support Home Location : Forum > Eee Family > Eee PC 4G/Linux  
  Forum  
  Topic : [Problem]SD / USB Permissions New Topic
Savitski
Level :
Tech Points : 0
Posted:3/2/2008 12:50:00 PM # 1
I continue to get the message that I do not have enough permissions to use an SD card and/or a USB stick.  I have a new USB stick and a new SD card that both work fine on other machines.  The USB was just purchased today.  I tried the http://wiki.eeeuser.com/howto:sd_permissions
It did not work.  When I try the last step in the instructions, my eee tries to connect to my LAN...
Any other ideas?  Also, do not many people run into this or do you all think that since I am new to Linux that I am having trouble?  Thanks in advance.

Reply Reply Quote & Reply Quote & Reply
richrmoore
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:3/5/2008 1:34:00 AM # 2
I believe you'll run into permissions problems if you try to access an SD card or USB storage device from some means other than the File Manager.  The reason is that the Eee automatically installs these under root ownership when you insert them.  The FM asserts Admin authority so you can write to the devices.  If you are accessing from say the terminal mode, you'll need to superuser to root:  "sudo i" should work.

One thing you may want to check is whether the device has a "read only" type of lock on it.  Some have little switches that need to be set to allow you to write to the device.

Maybe it's just luck, but so far I've been able to use FM to do anything I need with an SD or USB storage device, so have had no problems. 

Richard

An observer of life and the people who inhabit it.
Austin
Level :
Posted:3/10/2008 11:40:00 AM # 3
I have exactly the same problem - even if I do approach the USB or SD card from File Manager. It had been fine until the devices I've been using for ages suddenly denied permissions.

I've seen a potential fix that involves typing some code in, but I'm not a computers man and it goes right over my head. Something to do with Xandros and kernels...not a clue.

Could anyone explain to me slowly and as if I'm a child what I need to do?

I'm traveling the world and need to back my work up...if there's no wireless around I can't get anything on or off the machine! Very disappointed this has happened after 2 months of owning the machine! It's cheap I know, but so's a pen and paper.

Thanks!
Spencer.

Travel_Guy
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:3/16/2008 10:23:00 AM # 4
While in File Manager, if you place focus on your USB drive or SD card that is displaying in the left pane, does a "partition1" folder display in the right pane? If so, you should be able to click (or double-click) the "partition1" folder to access the read/write/execute area for your use. You should be able to create/copy/edit/delete/execute files in this location. Any luck?

lungo
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:5/9/2008 11:21:00 AM # 5
you are probably missing '/media' folder under root home directory.

easiest way to fix this is:

a) launch Terminal by ALT-CTRL-t
b) sudo -i
c) mkdir /media
d) exit

try now inserting USB stick or SD card and it should work.

good luck.

it worked for me.

WhiskeyDoc
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:5/12/2008 1:20:00 AM # 6
Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!  I just wish I had found this solution several hours ago.  Works perfectly!!

lungo
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:5/13/2008 4:22:00 AM # 7
ur welcome. tried to keep it as simple as possible.

just didn't clue in why is '/media' folder missing in the first place under '~root', and seems to be dissapearing regularly after eee pc reboot and this may need to be repeated every time. however it is simple and i don't mind.

smudgerii
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:5/14/2008 3:11:00 AM # 8
I had similar trouble... and found this worked perfectly.

http://wiki.eeeuser.com/execute_apps_off_sd

tweet tweet
Nemesis
Level :
Posted:5/14/2008 6:53:00 PM # 9
while the problem is not found & corrected, you can put a script to be launched at startup with two lines. The first which test the /media existence, the second which create it if it is not present...

Rubin
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:5/28/2008 8:41:00 AM # 10

you are probably missing '/media' folder under root home directory.

easiest way to fix this is:

a) launch Terminal by ALT-CTRL-t
b) sudo -i
c) mkdir /media
d) exit

While I haven't had any problems with any of the various USB thumbdrives I've tried, I did have a problem with a CF Media Card formated in a Sony Alpha 350 DSLR that regardless of the reader, kept giving me the lack of permissions message. Your suggestion fixed it so that it now works with at least two different media card readers I tried even though they had different names in the File Mangler (FM).

AND, I've learned an easy way to open a Terminal window without opening the FM.

BTW, before I implemented your suggestion, when I would put in a USB thumbdrive I WOULD get a "/media/partition1" under the "All File Systems" icon in the left pane in the FM. Any idea why it wouldn't appear/happen with my CF Media card?

Thanks.

1 2  Next  Last
Previous Topic:: Next Topic
Feedback for our Website ModeratorModerator: HHC New Topic Related FAQ Related FAQ Forum Home Forum Home
Forum Model :
Legal Information | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Contact Us | ASUS Global
  ©ASUSTeK Computer Inc. All rights reserved.