Join member

ASUS Support Home Location : Forum > Motherboard > A7V8X-X  
  Forum  
  Topic : [Problem]Change MAC Address in BIOS? New Topic
J.H.
Level :
Tech Points : 0
Posted:2/27/2008 12:16:00 AM # 1
Hello. I'm looking for some assistance regarding changing the MAC address in the BIOS for my a7v8x-x motherboard.

A couple of years ago, I had a BIOS flash that went bad, and I ended up getting a new BIOS chip from badflash.com - at the time, for some stupid reason, I didn't provide them with the correct MAC address for the on-board NIC. The new BIOS has been working fine, but the MAC has been set to 00:01:02:03:04:05 in the BIOS. The LAN works fine, but it's not the correct MAC address. Right now the machine that this board is in is only used as a spare PC, but I'd kind of like to put the original MAC address back into the BIOS if possible. I got the address off of the sticker on the floppy controller, and have been searching around online to see about modifying / flashing the BIOS with the correct MAC, but the only information I've come across seems to be in regards to nForce based boards.

I'm trying to see if anyone here can offer any advice, or knows of a way of flashing the BIOS on this board that will allow me to put the correct MAC address back - thanks in advance for any assistance.

Reply Reply Quote & Reply Quote & Reply
Åsenius
Level :
Tech Points : 28
Posted:2/27/2008 12:42:00 AM # 2
Hello!
I would say "don't bother". BIOS or rather CMOS should be able to detect what NIC you got, so I'm not absolutely sure the MAC adress is wrong.
If it is very necessary: Ask the badflash people again, for info, and if they can do the trick again, with the adress you think is right.

J.H.
Level :
Posted:2/27/2008 2:05:00 AM # 3
Thanks for the reply.
I know it doesn't really matter, because the NIC works fine, I guess I'm just being a 'tweaker' and wanted to see if I could set it back. :)

Åsenius
Level :
Posted:2/29/2008 2:38:00 AM # 4
Okey! You are welcome!
Well, tweak the MAC adress you can't. It's as hard as trying to tweak a Mac... :-)  Every NIC has a "hard wired" such adress, which the CMOS is quick to learn. So there is really no turning back. If you want to tweak your Internet connection that is a different story, but it is also a very long story with many actors and directors involved, and with an uncertain end. For an outsider like me, there are also many unwritten pages. :-)

Start by estimating your average connection, at different times of the week and day. Anything you do to improve things should be compared to this.

tcsenter
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 260
Posted:2/29/2008 4:58:00 AM # 5

Quote:
Author: J.H. Posted: 2/27/2008 2:05:00 AM
I know it doesn't really matter, because the NIC works fine, I guess I'm just being a 'tweaker' and wanted to see if I could set it back. :)

Its only a matter of finding the right tool.  This should work for all VIA KT Series chipsets:

http://s89934018.onlinehome.us/VIAKTMAC.zip

1. Create a bootable DOS floppy disk (you could create a bootable CD as well).
2. Download VIAKTMAC.zip.  Unzip the files MA, MAC.EXE, and MM.BAT to the floppy disk.
3. Use Notepad to open MA file in Windows.
4. Replace the generic 'example' MAC address in the MA file with the MAC address from the sticker on your board, then save the file (don't change filename and don't use a file extension).
5. Boot the system into pure DOS from the floppy disk.  At the A:\ prompt, type MM and press enter.  This should write the MAC address to EEPROM.

That should be it.  If it reports successful, remove the disk and restart, then check out your new MAC address.  If it gives an error or doesn't change the MAC, let me know.

Åsenius
Level :
Posted:3/1/2008 2:45:00 AM # 6
Hello tscenter! How are you! What on Planet are you doing here!? :-)

You can't change the MAC adress on a NIC - period. It is as I said burnt into the chip. That is what is read by CMOS, and communicated to Windows or whatever OS you got. Thus it can't even be "wrong", as you seem to suppose. It is what it is.

What you can do is change the "format", or what you call it, in Windows. Doing so you fool other computers that have access to the NIC/your computer. That is a hazardous job, and often result in that you fool not only computers, but yourself.

The fooling of other computers also depends on the level of access to your computer, but that is a later class, much later.

tcsenter
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 260
Posted:3/2/2008 1:02:00 AM # 7

>>You can't change the MAC adress on a NIC - period.  It is as I said burnt into the chip.  That is what is read by CMOS, and communicated to Windows or whatever OS you got.  Thus it can't even be "wrong", as you seem to suppose.  It is what it is.<<

Sorry, no.  The MAC address is simply written to EEPROM, which can either be internal or external to the LAN IC containing the MAC, but usually it is external.  In the case of chipsets with integrated MAC function, it is always external.

With LAN on motherboard (LOM) designs, the MAC address is programmed in a block of the motherboard BIOS that is normally excluded during BIOS updates and can be updated separately like a CPU microcode update, which is what the utility I linked to does.

On NVIDIA chipsets with Award BIOS, you can program the MAC address during a routine BIOS flash using command line switches.

Åsenius
Level :
Posted:3/3/2008 8:26:00 PM # 8
Yes, you're right about the EEPROM. So how can the  MAC adress be wrong. Maybe it is the definition of the word "wrong"?

tim
Level :
Posted:5/21/2008 6:52:00 PM # 9

Hi i have 5 computers using p5vd2-mx but 2 have now lost the mac address it changed to 00 00 00 00 01 00  But I can't have 2 box's with the same mac address.
I tryed http://s89934018.onlinehome.us/VIAKTMAC.zip on a boot cdrom but it gets  "write mac function call failed" 
thankyou for the help.
       Tim 

Carl
Level :
Posted:6/7/2008 9:50:00 PM # 10

Quote:
Author: tim Posted: 5/21/2008 6:52:00 PM

I tryed http://s89934018.onlinehome.us/VIAKTMAC.zip on a boot cdrom but it gets  "write mac function call failed" 

I'm getting the same error message as above.  Anyone find a solution for changing the mac back to the one on the sticker? 

1 2  Next  Last
Previous Topic:: Next Topic
Feedback for our Website ModeratorModerator: New Topic Related FAQ Related FAQ Forum Home Forum Home
Forum Model :
Legal Information | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Contact Us | ASUS Global
  ©ASUSTeK Computer Inc. All rights reserved.