Join member

ASUS Support Home Location : Forum > Motherboard > P5B Deluxe  
  Forum  
  Topic : [Problem]One Long beep, 3 short beeps, Then PC boots. New Topic
Interested
Level :
Tech Points : 15
Posted:1/27/2008 2:02:00 AM # 1
I have built many PC's using the P5B deluxe, last year, and I am now building one more which is supposed to be the last one i ever do, since i can no longer buy these boards.

Unfortunately i am having a problem with this build, even though i am using the same kinds of parts as i always do.

Here is my issue: When i start up this PC, it will take around 1whole minute or more to boot.
The PC will many times give the following beep code which i have no idea what it means, as its not in the user manual.

It will make one long beep followed by 3 short beeps.

It does this beep patern either once or twice, and then finally after slightly over a minute it will give me the one single beep and then finally turn on the video and boot.

once it boots everything runs fine.

I have a feeling it may have somthing to do with the fact that i am running an E6750, 1333mhz FSB processor when this board was originaly designed for 1066mhz FSB.
However i have built many other systems with P5Bdeluxe boards with a E6550 which is also 1333FSB without this issue.
I also upgraded to the latest 1226  bios to see if it would help and it did not help.

I have tried anything i could think of within the bios settings to see if it would help.
I have tried auto and manual and even standard within the Jumper free config, with no results.
I have also tried setting memory manual and auto with no results
Tried disabling legacy usb support, didnt help.

One thing i did find fishy, is that in the power section every time i would setup Suspend Mode, to Auto, it would automatically revert to "S1(POS) Only", every time i would log back into the bios, it somehow does not want to stay in auto, or anything but S1(POS)Only.
This is strange because on my P5K builds, its always in auto.

Hardware wise this is what i have done so far to try and diagnose this issue.
I have tested the memory using Memtest86+ 1.70, with no issues after many multiple passes.
I have tried the memory in both the black and yellow sockets.
I have tested the power supply and all voltages are fine.
I have tried the video card in another PC ( a P5KWS board) and it dosent have any issues there.
I have disconnected Harddrive, Optical drive, any usb header plugs etc.
Tried without keyboard or mouse, tried with different keyboards and mice.
Tried with different monitors

I am starting to run out of ideas.
So maybe someone here might have some ideas of what i should try next?
Any bios settings, or other tips that might resolve this issue.
Also if anyone knows what this beep code is even supposed to mean?

Thanks in advance.
Regards.

Hardware used:
P5K Deluxe Rev1.10G, Bios1226
Intel Core2Duo E6750
Corsair PC5400 667Mhz DDR2 Memory 2x 1GB
Gigabyte Ati 2400XT video card
WD 500GB 7200rpm HD SATAII
Samsung 18X DVD+-RW drive SATA
Antec NSK4480 Case with Earthwats PS.

Reply Reply Quote & Reply Quote & Reply
Hiker
Level :
Tech Points : 6655
Posted:1/27/2008 7:11:00 PM # 2
Hi Interested

The latest edition of User Guide, E3148 User Guide Edition V3, states that 1 long and 3 short beeps means that VGA (graphic card) is not detected.

Try to load BIOS defaults (press F5) and then manually reenter all the preferred settings (do not use an OC Profile to restore the settings). Save and Exit (F10).

ASUS P8Z77-V PRO (BIOS 2104) -- Intel i7 3770K -- Noctua NH-U12P SE2 -- 8GB (2x4GB) Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1600MHz 8-8-8-24 2T 1.5V -- iGPU -- System drive RAID 0 on 2x120GB Intel SSD 520 (6Gbs), storage on RAID 1, 2x250GB/16MB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 SATA2, additional storage 1x250GB/16MB -- DVD RW Optiarc AD-7260S -- all drives on Intel Z77 controller -- Antec P180B -- Corsair HX750 PSU -- Win7 Ultimate x64 SP1 -- Chipset Device Software 10.0.13 -- IRST 12.9.0.1001 -- UEFI/CSM, SSDs and HDDs GPT partition formatted -- IE11
tenebrej
Level :
Tech Points : 0
Posted:8/12/2008 4:31:00 AM # 3

Quote:
Author: Interested Posted: 1/27/2008 2:02:00 AM

I have built many PC's using the P5B deluxe, last year, and I am now building one more which is supposed to be the last one i ever do, since i can no longer buy these boards.

Unfortunately i am having a problem with this build, even though i am using the same kinds of parts as i always do.

Here is my issue: When i start up this PC, it will take around 1whole minute or more to boot.
The PC will many times give the following beep code which i have no idea what it means, as its not in the user manual.

It will make one long beep followed by 3 short beeps.

It does this beep patern either once or twice, and then finally after slightly over a minute it will give me the one single beep and then finally turn on the video and boot.

once it boots everything runs fine.

I have a feeling it may have somthing to do with the fact that i am running an E6750, 1333mhz FSB processor when this board was originaly designed for 1066mhz FSB.
However i have built many other systems with P5Bdeluxe boards with a E6550 which is also 1333FSB without this issue.
I also upgraded to the latest 1226  bios to see if it would help and it did not help.

I have tried anything i could think of within the bios settings to see if it would help.
I have tried auto and manual and even standard within the Jumper free config, with no results.
I have also tried setting memory manual and auto with no results
Tried disabling legacy usb support, didnt help.

One thing i did find fishy, is that in the power section every time i would setup Suspend Mode, to Auto, it would automatically revert to "S1(POS) Only", every time i would log back into the bios, it somehow does not want to stay in auto, or anything but S1(POS)Only.
This is strange because on my P5K builds, its always in auto.

Hardware wise this is what i have done so far to try and diagnose this issue.
I have tested the memory using Memtest86+ 1.70, with no issues after many multiple passes.
I have tried the memory in both the black and yellow sockets.
I have tested the power supply and all voltages are fine.
I have tried the video card in another PC ( a P5KWS board) and it dosent have any issues there.
I have disconnected Harddrive, Optical drive, any usb header plugs etc.
Tried without keyboard or mouse, tried with different keyboards and mice.
Tried with different monitors

I am starting to run out of ideas.
So maybe someone here might have some ideas of what i should try next?
Any bios settings, or other tips that might resolve this issue.
Also if anyone knows what this beep code is even supposed to mean?

Thanks in advance.
Regards.

Hardware used:
P5K Deluxe Rev1.10G, Bios1226
Intel Core2Duo E6750
Corsair PC5400 667Mhz DDR2 Memory 2x 1GB
Gigabyte Ati 2400XT video card
WD 500GB 7200rpm HD SATAII
Samsung 18X DVD+-RW drive SATA
Antec NSK4480 Case with Earthwats PS.
Hi !
I have a P5B mainboard, a Intel C2D E6850,1333MHz FSB,4MB L2 Cache, PQI PC5400 333MHz DDR2 Memory 2x1 GB, and I get the same problem you have.
I.ve tested the memory, the graphic card, even downgraded the bios from v.2001 to v.1803.
Nothing changed.
Please ,tell me, did you managed to get a solution to your problem ?

Thanx in advance !

zerocool
Level :
Tech Points : 3894
Posted:8/12/2008 6:00:00 AM # 4
Try clearing the CMOS as well.  Remove the battery and leave the jumper moved for 10 minutes (600 seconds) and see if this helps.

*******Bad BIOS Flash and Dead Board Testing. ***** ALL Boards ***** http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?id=20090420211645831&board_id=1&model=Maximus+Formula&page=1&SLanguage=en-us
tenebrej
Level :
Posted:8/12/2008 6:04:00 AM # 5
I'll give a try and post the results after that.

P.S.:Well, it didn't worked.
I've left it more than 30 minutes and then put it back.
Again, 1 long beep and 3 short beeps.
But it is strange, because everything is happenning if I shut down over night the computer or for a longer time .So, let's say,I'm shutting down the computer now, and after 40 minutes I'm starting the computer,it start's normally with only 1 short beep.If I let it for a longer time(maybe hours),then it starts with 1 long beep and 3 short.
It's really annoying !
Thanx anyway.
If somebody has another ideas, is welcome !

tenebrej
Level :
Posted:8/16/2008 3:00:00 PM # 6

I've pulled out the memory sticks out and booted .It started to beep 1 long and 2 short beeps, but this time continously.
I put it back(the memory sticks),the computer booted normal(1 beep), but on the boot screen was the message:"Overclocking failed.Please,re-enter setup defaults to continue" message".
What should I do next ?

Troy
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:8/20/2008 5:14:00 AM # 7
have you checked the specification on your power supply to see how many Amp are on it's 12V rail?  And then checked that number against the required amps for the video card?

tenebrej
Level :
Posted:8/22/2008 4:00:00 AM # 8

Quote:
Author: Troy Posted: 8/20/2008 5:14:00 AM

have you checked the specification on your power supply to see how many Amp are on it's 12V rail?  And then checked that number against the required amps for the video card?

Hi,Troy !

First,my computer spec. are :
ASUS P5B rev. 1.04G (last BIOS 2001)
C2D 6850 1333MHz
2x1 GB PQI 667MHz
Gigabyte ATi X1950Pro 256MB
1x SATA WD 640GB
1x SATAWD 250GB
1x DVDRW LG
PSU Enermax Liberty ELT400AWT 400W

and the PSU specs are:
+3.3V@26A, +5V@28A, +12V1@20A, +12V2@20A, -12V@0.6A, +5VSB@3A
So for the 12V rail, I have 360W and about 30A.
I think, it's enough for a ATi X1950Pro videocard.
By the way, the BIOS from a P5B mainboard is AMI, and not AWARD,and this code:1 long beep, 3 short beeps means something bad about memory and not about the videocard.
Am I right ?

zerocool
Level :
Tech Points : 3894
Posted:8/22/2008 5:09:00 AM # 9
If the beep code is memory, then you may need to borrow a stick of memory from a friend long enough to get into BIOS and set up the memory voltage and speed manually, then replace with your memory. This is a very common problem, especially for memory that requires voltage higher than the default ddr2 voltage of 1.8

*******Bad BIOS Flash and Dead Board Testing. ***** ALL Boards ***** http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?id=20090420211645831&board_id=1&model=Maximus+Formula&page=1&SLanguage=en-us
tenebrej
Level :
Posted:8/22/2008 1:22:00 PM # 10

Quote:
Author: gnolnats Posted: 8/22/2008 5:09:00 AM

If the beep code is memory, then you may need to borrow a stick of memory from a friend long enough to get into BIOS and set up the memory voltage and speed manually, then replace with your memory. This is a very common problem, especially for memory that requires voltage higher than the default ddr2 voltage of 1.8

The problem is not that I can't get to BIOS,the problem is ,that I can't get ridd off these bloody beeps.
By the way,on PQI's manufacturer page,the allowed voltage for the memory is : 1.8V+/-  0.1V.
So, I tried with 1.9V(should I try more than that ?),put the CPU on 266MHz,the DDRAM frequency to DDR2-566MHz and the timings to 5-5-5-15.
Disabled C1E and Intel Speedstep.
Maybe I told you guys,or not, in another post (I can't even remember,so many posts I've written on another  sites) that the computer runs like a charm when it get's to Windows.
I've been running Orthos for about 2 hours and 40 minutes,without an error.
The same with 3DMark2001se and 3DMark2005. No problems at all.

P.S.If it is a common problem, why the hack the engineers from Asus cannot fix it through a BIOS release ?

1 2  Next  Last
Previous Topic:: Next Topic
Feedback for our Website ModeratorModerator: Ulrich New Topic Related FAQ Related FAQ Forum Home Forum Home
Forum Model :
Legal Information | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Contact Us | ASUS Global
  ©ASUSTeK Computer Inc. All rights reserved.