Join member

ASUS Support Home Location : Forum > Motherboard > P4S8X-X  
  Forum  
  Topic : [Problem]SM BUS Controller Missing New Topic
virolay
Level :
Tech Points : 2
Posted:1/21/2008 5:13:00 AM # 1
Yes, another SM Bus Controller missing in a reinstalling Windows XP SP2.

My MB is a splendid P4S8X-X with SiS648 Chipset. I have reinstalled several times the Motherboard's CD and the recent drivers downloaded from ASUS site but the problem persists.

Please, what is the SM Bus Controller, where can I to download it and are there any installation procedures that I have forgot?

Thanks,

Reply Reply Quote & Reply Quote & Reply
virolay
Level :
Posted:1/23/2008 1:00:00 AM # 2
People from ASUS, that's a very common problem in the net but I can't found a solution for my P4S8X-X. I waste five days looking for a unsuccessful solution.

I need your support, please!

tcsenter
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 260
Posted:1/23/2008 4:37:00 AM # 3
Have you tried Windows Update?

virolay
Level :
Posted:1/23/2008 8:42:00 PM # 4
Yes, I have it updated till December 2007. Also, when the Plug&Play system looks for the controller in Windows site does not found it.

Why "Windows Update"?. I thought that "Windows Update" only served to update Windows OS, not the controllers. Moreover, surfing the Internet I have found that the SM Bus Controller is linked to the Motherboard Chipset. Is it true?.

tcsenter
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 260
Posted:1/24/2008 2:54:00 PM # 5
>>Why "Windows Update"?. I thought that "Windows Update" only served to update Windows OS, not the controllers.<<

Nope.  Hardware vendors often publish drivers on Windows Update, for every device category.  I just finished repairing a laptop and Windows Update had drivers for the modem, audio, ethernet, and cardbus controller.

In some unusual cases, Windows Update is the only place you can find signed WHQL drivers for certain devices.

Go to Windows Update website and select "Custom" method instead of the Express (automatic) method.  If you use the Express method or the automatic updates feature built-in to Windows, it will not check for hardware/driver updates, only high-priority security or stability updates.

>>Moreover, surfing the Internet I have found that the SM Bus Controller is linked to the Motherboard Chipset. Is it true?<<

All devices are linked the motherboard chipset in some way or another.  The SMBus controller may be implemented by the LPC SuperIO chip, discrete system management ASIC, or chipset.

If Windows Update turns up nothing, and you have SP2 installed, then it try installing the ASUS PC Probe monitoring utility from the motherboard CD.

Previous Topic:: Next Topic
Feedback for our Website ModeratorModerator: Ulrich New Topic Related FAQ Related FAQ Forum Home Forum Home
Forum Model :
Legal Information | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Contact Us | ASUS Global
  ©ASUSTeK Computer Inc. All rights reserved.