SEARCH
ASUS Member ID
Password
Forgot password?
Join member

ASUS Support Home Location : Forum > Motherboard > P5K-E/WiFi-AP  
  Forum  
  Topic : [Problem]Reboot and select proper Boot Device or Insert Boot Media in selected Media Device and press any key New Topic
Marcool
Level :
Tech Points : 0
Posted:12/7/2007 5:43:00 AM # 1

I have just put together the following brand new set up and am trying to install Windows XP Home from a bootable DVD-RW device that I know to be operational:

Asus P5K-E/Wifi-AP Mobo
Intel Quadcore q6600 2.44MHz
LiteOn LH-20A1P IDE DVD-RW
Seagate ST3120026AS SATA HDD
2x2GB OCZ PC2-6400 DDR2 800MHz memory
Windows XP Home

With my bios set to boot from DVD-RW only (all other devices boot disabled) I get the following message:

"Reboot and select proper Boot Device or Insert Boot Media in selected Media Device and press any key"

I have tried to boot with the following variations:

- Removing 2GB of memory
- Unplugging SATA drive
- Changing jumper on DVD-RW from S to M to CS
- Changed IDE cable
- Replacing DVD-RW with other ROM devices I have lying around
- Disabling JMicron in BIOS
- Testing my (brand new fully legitimate) Windows XP Home on another PC (it boots)
- Changing boot device from named DVD-RW device to ATAPI CD-ROM
- Disabling on-board devices
- Restoring mobo defaults

DVD-RW device is recognised in BIOS as is SATA HDD.  Everything I do yields exactly the same result, and I've basically run out of ideas, hence my post!  Someone please help!  I'm fast running out of hair to pull out :(

Reply Reply Quote & Reply Quote & Reply
zerocool
Level :
Tech Points : 3894
Posted:12/7/2007 6:49:00 AM # 2
It sounds like the disk is not inserted, but you said that it actually is, so that cant be it.  Be sure that you are using an 80-conductor IDE cable for all IDE devices.  The 40-conductor will work for HDD but ATAPI devices require 80.  I suggest never using the 40 because they are obsolete any way.

If you have more than one device on the same IDE cable, avoid the CS (cable select) setting---jumper one as master and the other as slave.

Try these and post results.

*******Bad BIOS Flash and Dead Board Testing. ***** ALL Boards ***** http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?id=20090420211645831&board_id=1&model=Maximus+Formula&page=1&SLanguage=en-us
Marcool
Level :
Posted:12/7/2007 7:24:00 AM # 3
Disc is definitely inserted and working, just to reiterate I have tested it on another machine and it works fine.  Drive light comes on as normal during initial boot up phase but goes off.  There is however a short pulse from the drive light and whir of the drive mechanism as it attempts to read the disc just before the "Reboot..." message is displayed.

IDE cable being used is one supplied with board (though I have tried another one), blue end in board, furthest connector connected to DVD-RW (I have tried it on the other connector also).  No other IDE devices on the same cable and cable connections checked and double checked.  As I mentioned, I've tried S, M and CS modes to be thorough and it is recognised in BIOS.

The only thing I have connected besides that already listed is:

MSI Radeon 256Mb DDR2 X1550 graphics card

I'm an experienced user so barring a glaring oversight I'm not likely to be making any kind of basic error.  Though for the purpose of covering all angles feel free to throw anything you can think of at me!

Cheers. 

GoodOleRick
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 53
Posted:12/8/2007 3:23:00 AM # 4
From your post, it looks like you have covered all the proper approaches.  Consider this:

With one memory module installed,  boot into the bios and set the rated timing and voltage for your model memory.  Then test that module with memtest86+ for errors and stability.   When that module is adjusted error free, try an original Windows OS disk to load the system.

If at first you succeed - try not to look astonished.
Tommy [ITA]
Level :
Posted:12/8/2007 8:52:00 AM # 5
I've the same problem in this moment and I have tried the same solution.
This is my configuration:

ASUS P5B SE S775 P965
Intel Core 2 Duo E4500 2.2GHz
ATI Sapphire X1550 512Mb Avivo Vista Ready
2x1Gb Corsair DDR2 PC667 CL5
HD Maxtor SATA2 160Gb
DVD-RW Pioneer 112D Atapi Oem

The only difference is that the DVD-RW is recognised as IDE device. Someone help us. Please.

Block
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 1
Posted:12/8/2007 11:21:00 AM # 6

Quote:
Author: Marcool Posted: 12/7/2007 5:43:00 AM

<snip>

DVD-RW device is recognised in BIOS as is SATA HDD.  Everything I do yields exactly the same result, and I've basically run out of ideas, hence my post!  Someone please help!  I'm fast running out of hair to pull out :(

Since you are desperate, I have an idea to try. Remove the CD drive and it's cable that worked from the other machine. Put it into the bad machine and try to boot. That message suggests that it can't read the CD. It is conceivable that the particular CD will not work in your particular drive, it happens.

The fact that an IDE device is recognized as a SATA device is bizarre. Since you have tried all combinations of jumpers, that can't be it. I do assume that you plugged the furthest away plug into the CD drive. The furthest is for the master drive, which this is. Some hard drives have a jumper setting for "single drive," but I don't think that is the issue.

If you have not already loaded the newest BIOS, do that. Also try the F8 or whatever key you use to bring up the boot menu. Yes, that should be redudent, but try it anyway.

If that board has another IDE port, you should try that. You can also try a SATA DVD drive. Or, you could also put in an add-in card with another IDE port in, at least for a test. Actually, I like that idea better than trying a SATA DVD.

This is not the symptom of a memory problem, but it never hurts to run memtest for a bunch of hours.

Again, these are not normal ideas, they are for desperate times.

If all else fails, you could put your hard drive into another machine just to load Windows. There are driver problems possible with that kind of thing, but desperate is desperate. Once that is done, you put the drive back into the new machine and try the CD drive issues again.

Cervantes
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:12/9/2007 10:37:00 AM # 7
You wrote, among other things,

"With my bios set to boot from DVD-RW only (all other devices boot disabled) I get the following message"

I think therein possibly lies your problem.

In the "Boot Priority" category, make sure your DVD burner is set as the first boot choice, and the HD onto which you want to install your OS is set as the second boot choice.

ALSO, in the "Hard Disks" category, MAKE SURE that the HD onto which you want to install XP is set as the FIRST choice.  Otherwise, the installation won't proceed.

FURTHER, somewhere I read that the IDE port on board is controlled by the JMicron eSATA/PATA controller, so if you have an IDE device connected to that IDE port, you MIGHT need to enable the JMicron eSATA/PATA controller in order for that IDE device to work.  The JMicron eSATA/PATA controller is located in the "OnBoard Devices" category.

Hope this helps!

Good luck!

Vista 64-bit Ultimate, Q6600@3.6@1.475v, Tuniq Tower 120, P5K E WiFi(503), Ballistix PC6400, 4x1GB, 4-4-4-12, 2.2v, EVGA G92 8800 GTS 512MB, Samsung 226BW 22" LCD, Corsair HX620 PSU, Seagate 320GB SATA II, LiteOn SATA DVD burner, CL X Fi ExtremeGamer, Logitech Z4 Speakers, Happauge HVR1600, Cooler Master Cosmos
Cervantes
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:12/9/2007 10:56:00 AM # 8
You wrote, among other things,

"DVD-RW device is recognised in BIOS as is SATA HDD"

That's a problem, right there!

How can an IDE DVD burner be recognized as an SATA HD??

Right there, it suggests a problem.

Are you setting the HD's in the BIOS as IDE, AHCI, or Raid?

Regardless of what you have chosen--IDE, AHCI, or Raid, an IDE DVD burner should NOT be recognized as an SATA device.

I have a LiteOn SATA DVD burner but have NO IDE devices on my board--I have the same board as yours, so I cannot replicate the problem that you have here--an IDE device is recognized as an SATA device on Asus P5K E WiFi.

I don't have an answer to this strange phenomenon, but others more knowledgeable than me could chime in.

Good luck!

Vista 64-bit Ultimate, Q6600@3.6@1.475v, Tuniq Tower 120, P5K E WiFi(503), Ballistix PC6400, 4x1GB, 4-4-4-12, 2.2v, EVGA G92 8800 GTS 512MB, Samsung 226BW 22" LCD, Corsair HX620 PSU, Seagate 320GB SATA II, LiteOn SATA DVD burner, CL X Fi ExtremeGamer, Logitech Z4 Speakers, Happauge HVR1600, Cooler Master Cosmos
Marcool
Level :
Posted:12/10/2007 3:15:00 AM # 9
Sorry guys I think my post is being misread there.  My IDE drive isn't being recognised as a SATA device.  I was just saying that both my IDE drive AND my SATA HDD were both appearing as expected in BIOS.  Read the sentence carefully and it makes sense, though maybe I should have reworded it.  Just thought I should clear that up.

I'll try a couple of the things suggested but if none of that works I'm thinking of going with the SATA DVD drive option.  I've read a couple of forums posts on the internet that have said there are problems booting from SATA DVD-RW drives.  Does anyone know of any issues with my mobo or similar before I (reluctantly) throw yet more money at this problem without being sure of a solution?

Thanks for all the help so far.  Will keep you posted! 

Update:  I've tried all of your suggestions now (except for buying a SATA DVD RW and trying to boot from that) and I get the same result as always, the CD will not boot.  I'll get the new drive and see what happens.  Let me know if there are any probs booting from SATA DVD RW.  Thanks.

Cervantes
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:12/10/2007 4:11:00 AM # 10

Looks like I did misread your post!  LOL.  I got my misreading from the other posters, I guess.  It was late, and I was kind of tired when I posted.

Now back to the issue.  You tried all the suggestions in my FIRST reply, but no go?

Some more possibilities:

1. According to P5K E WiFi's user manual, when the HD's are set as IDE,  Port 3 and Port 4 are slave ports.  You CANNOT install OS onto HD's hooked onto these two ports!!!  The OS won't boot or install or something.

However, if HD's are set as RAID or AHCI in the BIOS, you CAN install OS onto HD's hooked onto Port 3 and 4.

So did you hook your OS HD to one of these two ports, and have also set your HD's in the BIOS as IDE?  If you did, I think that MIGHT be your problem!

2. Do you have any USB or removable devices attached to the system, while installing the OS?  If you do, check in the BIOS, making sure that the removable devices are NOT set the devices onto which to install the OS.

3. I also strongly suggest that you look at my suggestions in my FIRST reply to you again!  Namely, in "Boot Priority," make sure that the DVD drive is set as the first boot choice, and the HD onto which you want to install the OS is set as the second boot choice.  In "Hard Disks"--it is a tab immediately under "Boot Priority," set the HD onto which you want to install the OS as the first choice.  I think this has to be done in order the install to proceed as well.

Those are my suggestions this round.  Regarding SATA DVD burner, I have a LiteOn SATA DVD burner on my setup--see my sig.  I have never experienced any problem with installing Vista(32 and 64 bit), whether the HDs are set as IDE, or RAID, or AHCI!

So you could rest assured that that LiteOn DVD burner works with this board in Vista, at least!

You can find more info about this SATA DVD burner here:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16827106072

1 2 3  Next  Last
Previous Topic:: Next Topic
Feedback for our Website ModeratorModerator: Ulrich New Topic Related FAQ Related FAQ Forum Home Forum Home
Forum Model :
Legal Information | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Contact Us | ASUS Global
  ©ASUSTeK Computer Inc. All rights reserved.