SEARCH
ASUS Member ID
Password
Forgot password?
Join member

ASUS Support Home Location : Forum > Motherboard > P5B-E  
  Forum  
  Topic : [Sharing]My Asus "AMI BIOS" Flash & a Universal Follow Up Recovery Routine New Topic
Aris
Level :
Tech Points : 0
Posted:11/22/2007 7:19:00 AM # 1

It would be best to read the entire procedure before you begin the process. It will be very helpful to become familiar with the possible errors that can happen now, before you become upset or excited (I sure was.) Print this post and use it as a checklist. If you are not sure what I am talking about or how to do something then do not perform this procedure. By doing this process you assume responsibility for your PC, including any damage cause by static.

This is the procedure I used to successfully perform the Asus modified AMI "Boot Block" recovery to flash the BIOS. For my motherboard Asus calls this program "Crashfree BIOS 3 Utility", but I will call it "boot block" for this document. The BIOS you want (new or old) must be on the USB device and named as it is stated in your motherboard manual and on the CD. For my board it was P5BE.ROM. Your file name will depend on your motherboard. I will use my file name as the example. You must use your applicable file name.

I will clearly state that:

1. I had a floppy with the correct file name in the floppy drive and "Boot Block" did not find it.
2. The same file is on my Asus CD that came with the motherboard and "Boot Block" did not find it.
3. Your "Boot block" program may work correctly, this is the procedure that works for me.

In addition the "Boot Block" program can stop for no reason, and must be properly restarted. Since this did not happen during the actual flash process I would not be concerned with that.

Some of what I have listed I probably did not need to do, but I don't care, I did this and it worked. I can not tell you why or why not other methods do not work. This works on my motherboard. I offer no guarantee this will work for you. Some other process may work better.

You may have already flashed the BIOS and got a message that said it was successful, but you no longer have any video. I suspect your update was successful. You should try the section after the flash process that I have listed here, what I will call the "Reset process." Try the "Reset process" before you flash the BIOS for a second or third time needlessly.

Items required to perform the Asus modified "Boot Block" BIOS recovery:
1. An USB memory stick, must be FAT 32 or FAT 16. Must be less than 8 GB.
2. A PC speaker to hear the motherboard beeps.
3. You must be willing to remove parts from your PC.
4. A great deal of patience which I will define as starting over again from the beginning.
5. Accept that the program will stop, freeze, or not function correctly for little or no reason.

Before you start - Assurance process:
1. Go to your BIOS and set everything to default speeds and voltages, except for memory where you may need some extra volts to make it work correctly.
2. Set your boot order to: floppy, then CD, then hard drive.
3. Skip what you don't have, but this is the order that "boot block" will look for devices.

I have all three, I do not know what "Boot Block" will do if there is no floppy drive.
I hope it will just continue the flash process.

NOTE! - Does your memory require extra voltage even to properly boot up? Will your memory work at the default voltage? Lots of high performance or high speed memory requires extra volts. If you answer either of the questions NO you may have to remove one stick of memory now. Please take all precautions required against static. Ground yourself. You will replace it after everything is complete. I can't not tell you how many volts your memory needs. If you have only one stick of memory you can disregard this section.

First thing you do is to obtain the BIOS you want to load and place it on an USB drive. (There is a clear warning that the BIOS file can not be on any drive formatted NTFS, so Windows users please be careful. This is strictly FAT partition USB only.) You may have seen the procedure here:
http://www.biosman.com/biosrecovery.html
but Asus clearly has made some changes. I am not sure what Asus changed, so when I placed the BIOS on the USB stick I created two identical files with two names:

1. P5BE.ROM as the Asus manual states.
2. AMIBOOT.ROM as stated by BIOSMAN.

I did this because P5BE.ROM was not found on the floppy or the CD, so I decided this was cheap insurance. From what I read the "boot block" programs starts automatically only when the flash process fails. The definition of "failed" is when the checksum is not correct. I believe this means if you flashed successfully your PC will not automatically go to the "boot block" program,  even if other parts of your PC do not work, like your video card.

The "Flash process" I have here is a combination of what's in the Asus manual and information obtained from BIOSMAN. The USB device should be installed and your floppy and CD drive should be empty. You need to listen to the PC speaker and react very quickly. I define "turn off the PC" as depressing and holding the power on button until the PC stops.

The Flash process:

1. Turn off the PC.
2. Push and hold down the CTRL and the HOME keys.
3. Power on the PC while holding down both the CTRL and the HOME keys to force "boot block" to execute.
4. In about one second you will hear a single beep, let go of the CTRL and HOME keys very quickly.
5. You will very quickly hear more beeps, that's good. You will see a few messages.
6. You will see one "floppy not found" message.
7. You will see one "CD not found" message.
8. The program should find the file on the USB and start to read it. You may see a progress indicator / - \ moving round and round. Maybe not.
9. The program will say "Completed" for the read, this should never take more than 10 minutes. 10. The program will say "Start flashing" and you may get a progression indicator. Do not interrupt this process for any reason.
11. The program will say your flash is complete or successful.
12. If successful you can turn off your PC, turn it on, and hopefully it will POST and boot up correctly.
13. Go to the "Reset process" if you have problems booting up, such as no monitor.

Errors I encountered:
I define restart as going back to step 1 in "The Flash Process" above.
This list is not all inclusive, there may be other errors.
Hopefully this will not happen to you, but don't count on it.

1. I powered on before I held down CTRL and HOME, the "boot block" program never started.
I had to restart.
2. I held CTRL and HOME keys down too long, it did not work correctly. I don't recall exactly what happened.
I had to restart.
3. I got one or more display messages it and it simply stopped. It may stop after "floppy not found" or after "CD not found". It can simply stop anywhere. You will know for sure after waiting 10 minutes.
I had to restart.
4. I got "floppy not found", floppy noises, and more "floppy not found" messages. The program was looping.
I turned off the PC.
I turned it on again without holding down the CTRL and HOME keys.
The floppy chirped and the screen was still blank.
I had to restart.
5. The file was found on the USB but after 10 minutes the read process did not complete.
I had to restart.

The "Reset process".

This is what you do after you successfully flash the BIOS but your PC does not work. Chances are very good that at least one component, probably the video card, has "latched up". This means there's no way to get it to function or reset with the PC on. Turning off the PC is not enough, and neither is unplugging the power supply. Try the following.

1. Turn off the PC if it is on.
2. Remove the power cord from the power supply.
3. Push the power on button. This will drain your power supply.
Your PC may attempt to boot for 1 or 2 seconds and stop. That's OK.
4. Ground yourself. Touch some kitchen or bathroom plumbing or put on a ground strap.
5. Unplug your video card, all connections.
6. Wait 5 minutes, go get some coffee.
7. Plug in your video card, all connections.
8. Plug the power supply back in.
9. Make sure power supply is on, the I/O switch on the back, just in case.
10. Power on the PC.

At this point I finally had the big Asus logo screen. My PC froze here, but it was progress. I rebooted again and now it worked. My PC said all BIOS settings were being reset and then it continued to run. I got to Windows successfully, so I restarted, and then I made all my changes to the BIOS and I was OK. I was finished.

If you still have issues you should repeat the "Reset process" with the additions/changes below. I would try a couple of extra reboots at this point, though my PC was OK.

Step 5 unplug the video card and your memory.
Step 7 plug in both video card and memory.

Do not ask me why about the memory, other people told me it works.

When everything is functioning correctly and if you had removed any memory because my NOTE above then you can power down now and install it.  Static precautions still apply.

Please reply and let us know if this works for you.

Take care and good luck.
Aris

Reply Reply Quote & Reply Quote & Reply
xigital
Level :
Tech Points : 0
Posted:11/28/2007 2:18:00 AM # 2
thanks Aris for your effort but dont work with my P5B-e
i tried your solution, the reset and restart all day long but nothing happend.
only when i start the machine all the devices (keyboard, usb, mouse) shine the lights but then everithing is dead only the fan, hard drive and cd are function even the video card fan, but the keyboard, sound and display dont function.
please help
thanks 

Reply Reply Quote & Reply Quote & Reply
Previous Topic:: Next Topic
Feedback for our Website ModeratorModerator: Ulrich New Topic Related FAQ Related FAQ Forum Home Forum Home
Forum Model :
Legal Information | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Contact Us | ASUS Global
  ©ASUSTeK Computer Inc. All rights reserved.