ASUS Support Home Location : Forum > LCD Monitors > VW222U  
  Forum  
  Topic : [Problem]Blurry picture on LCD monitors - the first step New Topic
Brett
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 0
Posted:8/25/2007 8:26:00 PM # 1
Having just gone through a battle with my VW222U trying to get a clear picture on it - and finally being successful - I thought I'd share what I'd found. This is applicable to all LCD monitors.

The #1 cause of a blurry picture on an LCD monitor is incorrect resolution. LCD monitors have a native resolution that they are designed to run at, and if you run them at anything but this resolution you suffer from picture blur.

As an explanation (this is my understanding of it) LCD monitors, unlike conventional CRT-based monitors, have discreet pixels. The problem arises when the number of pixels per screen being outputted from the video card does not match the number of pixels per screen on the monitor. When this happens, pixel overlap occurs which results in pixels being half-way between one colour and another.

This being the case, the solution is to set the resolution to the same resolution of the screen itself, so each pixel has a definite location on the screen. As such, the native resolution of the monitor is the maximum resolution. So, if you find the specs on your monitor - this site should have the user's manual in the download section - and find the maximum resolution of the monitor, you have the resolution you should be setting it to for the clearest picture.

Herein lies a problem. Windows will, by default, detect many LCD monitors as a "Default Plug-and-play monitor", which has only "simple" resolutions - 800x600, 1024x768, 1280x1024, etc: resolutions that have been used by CRT monitors. However LCD monitors have different resolutions (mine being 1680x1050) that aren't covered in the "normal" resolution range.

So you've got two choices:
  • Believe it or not, ASUS does have monitor drivers on this site. BUT you have to register your monitor before you can access them! I originally didn't register my monitor, and all I had access to was the user's manual. After registering, I had access to the driver.
  • Alternatively, Windows Vista (not sure about XP) has in their default monitor listing a selection of LCD monitors, which have the correct settings. Before I registered my monitor, I used the "Digital Flat Panel 1600x1200 60Hz" driver which had an option for 1680x1050, and frankly even after upgrading to the ASUS driver I can't tell much difference.
I'm not saying this will fix everyone's problem, but it should certainly be the first line of attack for this fault. Sure, if after doing this you still have problems then you can try downloading video card drivers or upgrading firmware or whatever, but try the simple solution first.

While I have to say I wasn't overly impressed by ASUS' technical support - I found no mention of native resolution in the entire manual, nor could I find a customer care line for Australia unless I wanted to repair a laptop - by taking a few simple steps, hopefully we can resolve most problems regardless.

Reply Reply Quote & Reply Quote & Reply
Peacekeeper
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 10
Posted:9/4/2007 6:54:00 PM # 2
Asus does mention running the monitors at recommended resolution and does so on this page you are reading on left set of FAQs.( Ok not on the VW222u forum but on the LCD monitor general page) Unsure if all relevant to your monitor.
cf
Please do the following to make the text on your LCD monitor sharper and clearer:

1. Each pixel of LCD monitor has a corresponding signal from the input source.
    Please refer to your user manual to set the monitor at its recommended resolution.
2. Hold the SPLENDIDTM key for 5 seconds to perform auto adjustment for your monitor.
3. Set SPLENDIDTM at Standard mode.
4. If your LCD monitor comes with a DVI input, it's recommended to use DVI for display. 
5. If the suggestions mentioned above does not work, please press MENU key and the 
   direction keys to move the cursor to [System Setup] sub menu and set [Reset] to
   to default setting.

Thanks for taking the trouble of posting this most here post only issues not solutions .

Ex Asus PC Doctor -- current Mcafee Community Moderator
ChusZ
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:9/28/2007 9:05:00 AM # 3
Try to update your graphic card drivers. In my case, under new Nvidia BETA drivers the screen looks much better than before running CD drivers which came into the graphic card.

In adddition, the monitor works better under its native resolution. Bear this on mind...

Peacekeeper
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 10
Posted:10/17/2007 6:33:00 PM # 4
Brett I forgot the notebook care number is also the LCD and modem care phone number. They hide it well.

Ex Asus PC Doctor -- current Mcafee Community Moderator
Harrison
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 1
Posted:10/27/2007 7:36:00 AM # 5
I have just got  a Vw222 LCD , but am not happy with the resolution especially print....
I have updated my Intel graphics drivers (onboard chip which may be half the trouble!!!) , but when I go for HD of 1920x1080 the desktop page is actually too big for the screen size and the margins disappear, but come into view as I mouse over to the edge both sides and bottom, but I canot see the full page and there seems to be no way to tweak the monitor settings via the buttons to get it all into view. However the icons, print etc all looks quite good....

Ok I just looked up the specs and this is the "native resolution below .....

If i use a lesser wide screen res like 1680x1050x 32bit truecolorx60Hz  its not too bad and all fits onto the screen.
Some of the intermediate res choices make the text look a little "blocky" e.g. 1600x900 (which I'd assumed was "best" if I wanna look at a few DVD's....)

Can anyone tell me the best res for this - it seems like there is little point using a 4:3 resolution with this wide screen!!!!!

Thanks.

bms
Level :
Posted:1/11/2008 9:54:00 PM # 6
I recently purchased this monitor and I am very unimpressed! 

My main concerns are sharpness & resolution.  For a start, DVD's look terrible!  I've also had issues with random pixels flashing white and red, an inconsistent and unpredictable problem. 

I've connected using the included DVI cable (which I suspect may be poor quality) and I have updated to the digital driver (I think I get a better picture using the analog driver).  I have an ATI video card - both it and the driver are less than a month old.  I've reset using the on-screen menu but it hasn't helped me.  Yes, it's set at 1680x1050.

I expected more from Asus...therefore, I'm still assuming I'm doing something wrong.  Yet, my frustrations have me thinking there is nothing "splendid" about this monitor...

bms

Brand
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:3/19/2008 7:07:00 PM # 7

Thanks heaps for sharing your discovery with us Brett. I currently have the blurry issue with my VW222U as well. The thing is though I have registered my monitor (have since day 1) and I downloaded the VW222U XP drivers but the native resolution isn't even available to me in the addaptor mode listing. I can not find this 1680x1050 resolution no matter what I do.
I'm about to lose my mind! Any ideas?
I have to agree with your comment about the ASUS tech support - if I see the 'Splendid" suggestion one more time.......

Posted:3/30/2008 6:27:00 PM # 8
Hello to all , i got the 222u , and i think the quality is 40% about the 222u and 60% about the graphic card , i have a ati AGP 1950pro 512MB and work fine the 1680x1050 resolution , i guess the problem may be the graphic card .

Hyproglo
Level :
Posted:4/1/2008 7:45:00 AM # 9
Hello.

I am very disapointed with my VW222U LCD monitor. At first it was great very nice picture and very fast.
However now 6 months i have it the display becomes curropt with thousands of red pixels that come and go.
It is not my graphic card iether and to test this take a screenshot and the screenshot comes out normal you do not see these pixels in the picture.

It always happens after it has been on playing a game for a while.

I do not have any heat issues at all with my pc as well.

I realy hope their is some kind of fix for this soon or perhaps i got a lemmon :(

Josh
Level :
Posted:4/9/2008 11:12:00 AM # 10
Please help ... I'm going crazy!

I have the ASUS VW222U Monitor. I am using a laptop to output to the monitor via DVI connection. It won't output more than 1280x1024 screen res, even when I chose 1680x1050 in the dispay settings. I have downloaded the VW222 driver and it appears in the 'Monitor' tab of the advanced display properties as 'ASUS VW222 (Analog)'. My video card is the ATI Mobility Radeon 9200 and I have the latest drivers installed for it. My laptop screen has always used 1680x1050 screen res with no problems. Any suggestions... please?

1 2  Next  Last
Previous Topic:: Next Topic
Feedback for our Website ModeratorModerator: New Topic Related FAQ Related FAQ Forum Home Forum Home
Forum Model :
Legal Information | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Contact Us | ASUS Global
  ©ASUSTeK Computer Inc. All rights reserved.