SEARCH
ASUS Member ID
Password
Forgot password?
Join member

ASUS Support Home Location : Forum > Motherboard > P5K Premium/WiFi-AP  
  Forum  
  Topic : [Sharing]P5K Premium SATA Controller Problem must be Confirmed New Topic
S
Level :
Tech Points : 0
Posted:8/15/2007 6:25:00 PM # 1
Reading various threads over the past few days, I have come to the conclusion that there is something _seriously wrong_ with the SATA Controller of the Premium series.

Based on: 
  Slow Windows installations
  Hanging windows (can't do anything...)
  ATAPI controller error codes in windows logs
  Abnormal Harddisk burst rates (samsung HDs get only 4MB/s (tested with S166 & other series), Western Digital gets spikes, ...)

Why would I and several other people know that it is effectively the SATA Controller?:
   - Installing & working on a HD connected to the IDE controller works PERFECT
   - Installing & working on a HD connected to an PCI-Sata-Controller-Card works PERFECT
   - Thus, nothing wrong with the HDs...

What we need is a confirmation from asus for this problem so they will make a new bios which could hopefully fix the sata controller issues!

So people, we really need to start mailing asus about the P5K Premium Sata controller problem.

Thanks.

Reply Reply Quote & Reply Quote & Reply
Meiser
Level :
Posted:8/16/2007 2:42:00 AM # 2
I also have these issues you described, it seems that many
who have bought a P5K Premium are indeed having severe SATA
controller problems.

Symptoms exactly as you described and as described in the threads
that popped up during the last few days around the internet.

There has to be done something about it ASAP, I agree.

And I'm very disappointed with ASUS Quality Control, as such major
Problems should not have been overlooked before releasing the Board.

xenomorph69
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:8/17/2007 6:29:00 AM # 3
same here ,
brought my rig back to the store
they checkt it for 3 days
all the same

my rig:
thermaltake armor ws
asus p5k premium
core duo extreme 6800
4 gb ocz platinum 800Mhz
samsung 500 gb sata 2
thermaltake 1000watt ps
asus 8800gtx aqua
2x lg dvd burner (sata)
thermaltake hardcano 13

Quote:
Author: S Posted: 8/15/2007 6:25:00 PM

Reading various threads over the past few days, I have come to the conclusion that there is something _seriously wrong_ with the SATA Controller of the Premium series.

Based on: 
  Slow Windows installations
  Hanging windows (can't do anything...)
  ATAPI controller error codes in windows logs
  Abnormal Harddisk burst rates (samsung HDs get only 4MB/s (tested with S166 & other series), Western Digital gets spikes, ...)

Why would I and several other people know that it is effectively the SATA Controller?:
   - Installing & working on a HD connected to the IDE controller works PERFECT
   - Installing & working on a HD connected to an PCI-Sata-Controller-Card works PERFECT
   - Thus, nothing wrong with the HDs...

What we need is a confirmation from asus for this problem so they will make a new bios which could hopefully fix the sata controller issues!

So people, we really need to start mailing asus about the P5K Premium Sata controller problem.

Thanks.

my rig: thermaltake armor ws asus p5k premium core duo extreme 6800 4 gb ocz platinum 800Mhz samsung 500 gb sata 2 thermaltake 1000watt ps asus 8800gtx aqua 2x lg dvd burner (sata) thermaltake hardcano 13
xenomorph69
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:8/17/2007 4:54:00 PM # 4

anyone tried this?
found it in the forum for the p5w dh

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

*** Tip:  If you are having trouble installing the OS, unplug all USB devices and disable USB in BIOS.  It has been shown that many Asus motherboards (especially boards with infantile BIOS) produce strange errors during install just by having USB devices attached and/or USB enabled in BIOS.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

my rig: thermaltake armor ws asus p5k premium core duo extreme 6800 4 gb ocz platinum 800Mhz samsung 500 gb sata 2 thermaltake 1000watt ps asus 8800gtx aqua 2x lg dvd burner (sata) thermaltake hardcano 13
RAQ
Level :
Posted:8/17/2007 11:22:00 PM # 5
I also have problems with my p5k premium SATA controller. Using 204 bios

While using [IDE] mode.
I can install windows xp.
During filetransfer I get alot of 'parity' errors in the system log, and the transfer speed crawls from +20 MB/s to <1 MB/s. (my internet connection is almost faster)
This occurs on both the WD 500ABYS harddisks

When trying to install windows in [RAID]
Using the newest IMSM f6 drivers from Intel, it always ends up in some sort of BSOD - or just hangs in the installation forever.... (39 minutes till installtion of windows ...)

Ive tried the red SATA ports, next up, is to try setting the HD's to a lower UDMA mode in bios. (This is not a permanent solution)

Meiser
Level :
Posted:8/18/2007 4:54:00 AM # 6
I now tried a second  replacement board, same issues.

There is definitely a fix needed, and we should all complain to the ASUS support
that there is a serious problem which needs fixing.

xenomorph69
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:8/18/2007 6:55:00 AM # 7

tthe seller called asus (germany)and they told him that they knew the problem and are working on it ....hope not to long .

Glenn
Level :
Tech Points : 3
Posted:8/18/2007 11:20:00 AM # 8
Same issue. Can install XP or Vista. Hang on copy part of install.

2 SATA HDD , 1 SATA DVD, 1 SATA DVD RW.

ASUS tech support US claims they have not heard of any SATA issues and felt they certainly would have heard something if there were issues.  Instited it was my memory. I ate the restock fees to return memory for Kingston (all memory I bought was on the QVL, ASUS tech support says QVL is maintained by the vendors so they could not say wether the memory on the QVL actually worked or not).  Still had issues

Ate the restock fee and returned the premium MB and got the Deluxe. Deluxe worked fine. XP and Vista both installed first time. I did not bios update so it is on the 301 bios May 2007

There is an issue with the Premium.  Others have it working fine so it must have something to do with my components or just a bad controller. But the Deluxe works fine.

RAQ
Level :
Posted:8/19/2007 11:13:00 PM # 9

Quote:
Author: RAQ Posted: 8/17/2007 11:22:00 PM

I also have problems with my p5k premium SATA controller. Using 204 bios

While using [IDE] mode.
I can install windows xp.
During filetransfer I get alot of 'parity' errors in the system log, and the transfer speed crawls from +20 MB/s to <1 MB/s. (my internet connection is almost faster)
This occurs on both the WD 500ABYS harddisks

When trying to install windows in [RAID]
Using the newest IMSM f6 drivers from Intel, it always ends up in some sort of BSOD - or just hangs in the installation forever.... (39 minutes till installtion of windows ...)

Ive tried the red SATA ports, next up, is to try setting the HD's to a lower UDMA mode in bios. (This is not a permanent solution)

Part 2: PARTIAL SOLUTION! (At least to my problem)
I put in an older harddisk on the sata controller and it works doing about +20 MB/s in all my tests.

The disks with problem: 2* WD500ABYS (500 GB)
The disk that works: WD2000JD (200 GB)

The WD500ABYS is supposed to be higher quality disk - and I dont thing they are broken, I think its a conflict ICH9R <-> WD500ABYS

soMzE
Level :
Posted:8/20/2007 10:59:00 PM # 10
I have exactly the same problems with this board as the topc starter, i bought this mb a few days ago and i am having s-ata problems with it since.

But... i have four hard disks, two Maxtors and two Samsung HD501LJ's 500Gb.
The maxtors are working just fine but the other two samsung disks are giving problems, slow copying/moving or not copying/moving files at all. System hanging all the time (Vista X64 Ultimate) and i did not have this problem with my old motherboard (Asus A8N5X)

Tried every bios setting that there is to set on this mb, but none of them are working to get this problem solved.

Please Asus, solve this problem!!

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8  Next  Last
Previous Topic:: Next Topic
Feedback for our Website ModeratorModerator: Ulrich New Topic Related FAQ Related FAQ Forum Home Forum Home
Forum Model :
Legal Information | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Contact Us | ASUS Global
  ©ASUSTeK Computer Inc. All rights reserved.