Join member

ASUS Support Home Location : Forum > Motherboard > A7V  
  Forum  
  Topic : [Problem]ACPI ATK0100 Driver install New Topic
d_h_johnson
Level :
Tech Points : 0
Posted:7/15/2007 3:36:00 AM # 1
Attempting to download and install a new bios to my mother board in attempt to enable SSE support for processor:

I am led to 1 bios update from download site and the option of either burning a boot cd for the dos based flash or winflash, choosing winflash. (http://dlsvr03.asus.com/pub/ASUS/nb/A7V/Winflash_XP_050816.zip)

I was then informed that the ACPI kernel mode driver needed to installed.

After download (http://dlsvr03.asus.com/pub/ASUS/nb/A7V/ATK_XP_051229.zip)  and reading installation instructions, I perform these steps (Win XP Sp2)

Start -> Settings -> Control Panel -> Add hardware
[next] yes, hardware is connected [next] add a new hardware device [next]
Install the hardware that I manually select from a list [next] Show all devices [next]
[Have disk] [Browse] -> pathto:unzipped drivers\ATK0100.INF [Open] [Ok]

At this point, I no longer have a list of hardware and cannot proceed with the next button.
This leaves me unable to install the driver or use the winflash utility.

Any help would be appreciated

Reply Reply Quote & Reply Quote & Reply
GoodOleRick
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 53
Posted:7/15/2007 6:20:00 AM # 2

Dan

First go to www.viaarena.com and download the latest chipset drivers for your motherboard.  The driver package may be called the "4in1" or may be called Hyperion.  Do that before attempting to install the ATK.

If at first you succeed - try not to look astonished.
d_h_johnson
Level :
Posted:7/15/2007 7:51:00 AM # 3
Hoping not to state the obivous here....

I've had this computer before winXP was released and have had via 4in1 drivers installed for quite a while (since the via drivers packaged with winxp caused your computer to crash ever 3~4 min if you used a agp video card).

Like a good sheep though, I updated my via drivers, restarted and attempted to install the ATK driver with the same results.

Viewing the Device Manager -> System Devices -> VIA cpu ->agp/pci and pci->isa devices
shows that the driver did update.

Maybe you can point me in a direction to actually installing these drivers (ATK) that has so far eluded me.

d_h_johnson
Level :
Posted:7/16/2007 3:28:00 PM # 4
It turns out that I was mis lead by "athlong model 4+ have sse support" post which in reality meant > model 4 have sse support instead of >=.

This still isn't detering me from attempting to upgrade my bios to latest version nor from me trying to install these atk drivers

It'd be nice if someplace there was a table listing the proccessor instruction sets and makes/models and would show you if a model actually supported it. My searching of amd's websight and knowledge base has only lead me to "press release hypes" with no real content behind them.

Åsenius
Level :
Tech Points : 28
Posted:7/20/2007 7:50:00 AM # 5
This isn't everything, but it's a start:
http://support.asus.com/cpusupport/cpusupport.aspx?SLanguage=en-us&model=A7V(MB)

From my poor memory, SSE or the equivalent, MMX and 3Dnow is incorporated in all of these processors. 'Should be, because those features were introduced with PentiumII:s, only running at a frequency of 200 (1998 or thereabouts).

And there is very much built into a processor. Could be hard for you to specify your question, and for us to fulfil your request. Here is something:
http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/content_type/white_papers_and_tech_docs/22466.pdf

The link was grabbed from here:
http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/ProductInformation/0,,30_118_1260_759^2983,00.html
I have been much rewarded and increased my knowledge reading especially what is said about "...build and installation".

d_h_johnson
Level :
Posted:7/20/2007 11:59:00 AM # 6
class="smallfont" style="margin-bottom: 2px;">To quote from the site that led me to believe I needed to update my bios to enable it...

Quote: SSE (Streaming SIMD Extensions) support is included in AMD's 3Dnow!™ Professional technology, which is supported in all Model 8 and Model 6 AMD Athlon™ processors (AMD Athlon XP, AMD Athlon MP, mobile AMD Athlon 4) and Model 7 AMD Duron™ processors

and from the site
http://support.asus.com/cpusupport/cpusupport.aspx?SLanguage=en-us&model=A7V(MB
states that the a7v does support the duron model 7 with update to bios version 1008
CPU
Since PCB
Since BIOS
Duron 1300 (Model 7)(Morgan) 1008

which happens to be the bios i was trying to update to
so back to the original issue, not being able to install the ATK driver for use with winflash.

puzzleman
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 79
Posted:7/20/2007 2:41:00 PM # 7
Dan

Is it ASUS motherboard A7V model?
Or ASUS Notebook A7V series?

d_h_johnson
Level :
Posted:7/21/2007 6:09:00 AM # 8
it is an a7v mother board

the issue is not being able to install atk drivers for use with winflash

Åsenius
Level :
Posted:7/23/2007 6:55:00 AM # 9
If you have the install CD there should be a program so you can easily update BIOS, the Windows way. It says somewhere it is not for your motherboard, but it works well. Download and extract the BIOS file to your hard disk. Run the program and let it find the file. Don't have anything else running during the update process. And don't try - when prompted - to update the updating program itself.

The processor probably works anyway, without the update. The BIOS update is mostly for giving it the correct name = cosmetics. Once you installed the processor you should have SSE automatically. You can't change the ACPI-BIOS configuration through an update anyway. That is probably where things halt.

Are you very sure you are using the correct tools for the updatin business?
What processor have you got now?

Åsenius
Level :
Posted:7/23/2007 7:08:00 AM # 10

BIOS version 1008 isn't in the list of updates for A7V (MB).

1 2  Next  Last
Previous Topic:: Next Topic
Feedback for our Website ModeratorModerator: New Topic Related FAQ Related FAQ Forum Home Forum Home
Forum Model :
Legal Information | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Contact Us | ASUS Global
  ©ASUSTeK Computer Inc. All rights reserved.