ASUS Support Home Location : Forum > Graphic Card > EN8600 Series  
  Forum  
  Topic : [Problem]EN8600GT 256 memory report? New Topic
eagle123
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 0
Posted:6/29/2007 5:37:00 PM # 1
My EN8600GT is reporting 512mb in Windows XP SP2 adapter info in the device manager.
I have a 256mb version.

Reply Reply Quote & Reply Quote & Reply
If it aint broken(except for love)dont try to fix it! AMD64 X2 6000 G2, 4GB Trancend 6400 800, 650W Coolmaster Duo PS, Asus 8600GT 256 2101 bios
Briarios
Level :
Posted:8/9/2007 9:52:00 PM # 2
Um i have probably the same type of card in where the box displays 256Mb GDDR3 with the fan (not silent) but yet Xp recognises it as a 512Mb card, i have checked this out and from what i have done ASUS has stuffed/mixed up the Packaging on the boxes at the factory, so i'd say you can go away and have a little victory dance :P

onca747
Level :
Posted:10/2/2007 1:54:00 PM # 3
Hey me too... I get 512Mb reported in XP. This is happening too often, I wouldn't be surprised if it's some bug in driver/XP.

Oh BTW be careful... it also happened to me when I bought another brand (Albatron), and it turned out the RAM was only DDR2. Back to the computer shop for an exchange....

P5KR : Duo 2.66GHz/1333MHz : 2x1G PC5400 4-4-4-12 : 500G SATA-2 : GF8600GT 256M
Pieke
Level :
Posted:10/21/2007 5:05:00 AM # 4
My 8600GTS 256M version reports 512 M in WinXP, Dxdiag, Memstatus etc.

I'm concerned that applications (FSX) may get confused if a 256M card claims to be a 512M card.

BP

Tech Points : 5
Posted:10/21/2007 6:17:00 AM # 5

Did this just occur recently?  Or has it always been like this ever since you installed your EN8600GT?

Asus A8N32-SLI Motherboard & AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core 4200+ Processor
psyco
Level :
Posted:10/27/2007 9:51:00 PM # 6
My 8600GTS silent card also reports 512 mb memory, and i would be happy, if it wasent
so that it shuts down my display in games and 3dmark 2003.
all i can do is to reset the notebook.
any idea, if i should return the card.
BTW it does not get hot (52 degrees), and psu is big enough.
BR peter

Tech Points : 5
Posted:10/29/2007 7:28:00 AM # 7

I am wondering if you have a high "Aperture size setting" in your bios.

Asus A8N32-SLI Motherboard & AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core 4200+ Processor
eagle123
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:11/21/2007 6:13:00 PM # 8

My 512MB report has been there since installation.N tune reports it correctly at 256MB.

The question is the Bios installed by the factory may be incorrect.How do we investigate that? In the last 5 months I nave had no response to this question.Silence from Asus is always a worry and silence is what destroys ones trust in a once reputable organization.It would appear there is a problem that affects the number of RMA's possible so mum is usually the word.

Almost like the CIA this secret stuff!!

They word things like Smart Doctor 3.3(that was released for Vista only) available soon for XP,result = on alerting them to that?= zilch,probably a text error, releasing previous versions with higher registration numbers and earlier release dates,so confusing for us all and bewildering to say the least.
To recieve straight answers to well known problems would solve a lot of confusion but I guess silence has always been a tactic employed by them and I suppose we will see the passing of many initially switched on moderators (usually short term)until the penny drops,the frustration probably gets the better of them in the end. It almost appears the attitude of the employer is NEXT?  I wholly respect the faithfull who have taken many personal hours to try and rectify many problems on behalf of the community!a job that should be the responsibility of the manufacturer or in which ever case on going supplier.
What do we do? All the manufactures are the same,software, hardware, networking etc,etc and they have our money and we have the problem forever until we upgrade(to the new problem and it starts all over again) it would appear they are the new age of spin doctors. As I have stated before nVidia spends a lot of dollars and promotional activity finding the faults and good on them for doing that.The problem is some of the motherboard manufactures stuff about with the original nVidia concept and thats when it hits the wall. Forget Smart Doctor, OSD and all that stuff that mostly will not work and use the original nVidia concept. Leave the development to the experts at ATI and  nVidia and standardise the hardware and drivers for all! The story should be as they tell it ,if it doesn't work don't release it and save all of us the pain and frustration.The graphic card manufactures release Beta drivers and that is an honest proclomation that they may have bugs,so be it ,it's honest and forthright and no promises,most of the time a lot of problems are solved in the original concept of the design but that does not solve the problem for the mainboard manufacturers who have to adjust the changes and compatibility,these adhoc on the run changes are not usually researched significantly and  a catch 22 (if you know what the means),is basically damned if you do accept it other than nVidia or ATI and damned if you don't. We are all so so fed up with being suckers and continually searching the net for answers that don't exist and after 6-9 months forget it,they have!
In short,nVidia and ATI know how to design graphics to give the indusry what it needs, the motherboard manufactures should follow that culture and leave the experts in both fields to their own resources and  respect the expertise and accept their respective conclusions.
Maybe it is time to stop and take stock of where we are going with all of this as we did in the early 90's.

If it aint broken(except for love)dont try to fix it! AMD64 X2 6000 G2, 4GB Trancend 6400 800, 650W Coolmaster Duo PS, Asus 8600GT 256 2101 bios
ari
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:12/10/2007 3:42:00 AM # 9
Mine too. this is an EN8600GT silent.

This is not a windows driver problem for sure. I use this card in my linux box with the latest nvidia stable driver. Everything shows that we got a freebie extra of 256MB.

Thank you asus.

Previous Topic:: Next Topic
Feedback for our Website ModeratorModerator: New Topic Related FAQ Related FAQ Forum Home Forum Home
Forum Model :
Legal Information | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Contact Us | ASUS Global
  ©ASUSTeK Computer Inc. All rights reserved.