SEARCH
ASUS Member ID
Password
Forgot password?
Join member

ASUS Support Home Location : Forum > Notebook > F3Sc  
  Forum  
  Topic : [Sharing]HOWTO Install Windows XP with full hardware support on F3Sc New Topic
SirKeldon
Level :
Tech Points : 0
Posted:6/29/2007 9:07:00 AM # 1

HOWTO Install Windows XP on Asus F3SC (PRO31SC-AP049C)

all hardware and almost all ASUS utilities supported and fully working

Last updated on: 06/07/2007 @ 21:36 (GMT+1)

align="justify">
Yes, it's possible to install Windows XP (SP2 Professional tested) and get full hardware support to make the windows fully functional on ASUS F3SC machines, at least, the PRO31SC-AP049C model.

Note before starting: I assume too that you know how to handle a little bit computers and you have your own copy of the Windows XP CD to could copy the sources, a CD Burner to could write the ISO and your DVD of drivers included from ASUS.

Previous Notes: my notebook specs & model compatibility

It could result useful for you to read first the specs of the PRO31SC-AP049C to find out, for less risks, if your hardware is similar or the same as mine and this guide could be compatible also for your model of ASUS Notebook.

Till the date users have reported successful installation with other models than F3Sc, this is the list:

- Asus F3Se
    - Asus F3E

ASUS PRO31Series PRO31SC-AP049C (M/B Version: F3Sc) Specs

* Processor (CPU): Intel Core 2 Duo CPU T7100 @ 1.80GHz with Intel PM965 Chipset (with 2Gb RAM @ 667 MHz)
* Storage: Hitachi (HTS541612J9SA00) 120 Gb @ 5400rpm with Intel ICH8M Ultra ATA Storage Controllers
* Graphics Card: nVidia 8400M G (128Mb integrated RAM till 896 Mb with Turbocaché)
* Sound Card: Realtek High Definition Audio 5.1
* Connectivity:
    + LAN: Attansic L1 Gigabit Ethernet 10/100/1000Base-T Controller
    + Wireless: Intel Wireless WiFi Link 4965AGN
    + Bluetooth: Toshiba Bluetooth 2.0 Stack
* More hardware:
    + Chicony USB2.0 1.3M UVC Webcam
    + Ricoh Card Reader 4in1 (Memory Stick, SD, MMC and xD)
    + Synaptics PS/2 Port TouchPad

Step #1 - Enabling SATA Disk Interface

The main big problem to start installing Windows XP on a F3SC machine is the SATA Hard Drive that comes with it has not built-in drivers, we have to add them via floppy, but in the most of cases, we won't have a floppy able to mount into the laptop, so, what we do?

align="justify">

First is to get the floppy disk image named "f6flpy32.zip", we'll get it on Intel's official website searching for the last Intel Matrix Storage Manager floppy, or directly clicking here (download is valid for Intel x86)

align="justify">

Once you downloaded the latest "f6flpy32.zip", unzip it and you'll get a file named "f6flpy32.exe", unextract the .exe with WinRar and get the F32.IMA file that is inside, the drivers are inside this ".IMA" file, so to get them we have to unextract it, you can use MagicISO. Now, you're able to unextract the whole set of drivers to another folder and reserve it, you'll get this list of files:

• IAAHCI.CAT
  • IAAHCI.INF
  • IASTOR.CAT
  • IASTOR.INF
  • IASTOR.SYS
  • LICENSE.TXT
  • README.TXT
  • TXTSETUP.OEM

Ok, now let's copy the sources of the XP's CD to one folder of our hard drive. You will need a powerful utility called nLite, this would make you able to shrink the sources with the hd drivers and a few things more. Install nLite and go to step #2.

Step #2 - Getting your Windows XP Bootable CD working with nLite

If you browse the nLite site, you will find the section "Guides" that is HIGHLY recommended to read before you do anything, it's translated to a huge quantity of languages so it wouldn't be difficult for you not to find one to understand.

In the selected guide, you will find the "Integrated Drivers" section to add them to the sources, i added and selected ALL that come with official .EXE in "Plain TXT Mode" using the nLite option of adding all the drivers available on a folder, after that, installation worked perfectly without pressing F6, it loaded all the drivers to could format your hard drives and install Windows XP.

align="justify">

I read in another post that a few hotfixes were necessary for the installation of the drivers, i checked nLite Guide and i saw that it has the ability to integrate also, i checked the downloads of the F3Jv model (the one with Hotfixes included), downloaded and integrated them all (read the nLite Guide on the section "Integrated Hotfixes", you have to add the specific .exe of your language), here is the file list:

HotFixes available for ASUS F3Jv

nLite has a lot more of powerful options to tweak the installation and Windows XP behaviour, for us it would be enough with these two steps but if you want to investigate to add more, feel free. Now press "Next" and activate the changes, let nLite to rewrite your installation sources, maybe it would take several time adding drivers and HotFixes, it will depend on your processor, after that, you will be able to make a bootable ISO and burn it to could start the installation process.

Important Note: If you lose in any point of this step, please be sure you're following the instructions that nLite Guide is telling you, go to the specific section on nLite Guide (such "Integrating drivers", "Remove Components" ...) and read the process carefully.

Step #3 - Windows XP with full-hardware-support

Now you're able to begin the installation, but before starting, i recommend you to download the whole set of drivers or if you prefer, just the Wireless one to could download the rest. Please follow the order to install the drivers, it could affect directly to the system performance. If you've already installed XP, please follow the list:

• 00 - Intel Wireless WiFi Link 4965AGN - Get drivers here
  • 01 - Intel PM965 Chipset Utility - Get drivers here
  • 02 - Intel Matrix Storage Manager - Get drivers here
  • 03 - ATK0100 Utility Driver (WinXP) - Get it here
  • 04 - ATK0100 Utility Driver - Install the one included on the DVD
  • 05 - ATKHotkey - Install the one included on the DVD
  • 06 - ATK_Media (WinXP) - Get it Here
  • 07 - AGFNEX - Install the one included on the DVD
  • 08 - KB_FILTER - Install the one included on the DVD
  • 09 - UAA Realtek High Definition Audio Bus (WinXP) - Get it here - Installation instructions: This file contain the install of the Hotfix of High Definition Audio Bus, select your language and install it. Then, you gotta open your "Device Manager" and watch "System Devices", it will appear some "PCI Device" with a warning(?) mark, right-click, upload the drivers, let Windows find them alone (not via Windows Update, just local). When Windows catch the drivers, the bus is finally recognized.

• 10 - Realtek High Definition Audio Official drivers (WDM_R169 for WinXP actually) - Get them here - Note: In the moment you install these drivers, the audio will work with no tricks, full support input/output.

• 11 - Modem Drivers - Install the ones included on the DVD - Note: Though you wouldn't use the modem/fax interface, it's needed to get rid of the advice at "Device Manager" cause detects it as part of the UAA components.

• 12 - nVidia GeForce 8400M G - Get it from laptopvideo2go - Choosing a driver: Actually i didn't find yet a driver to support TurboCache's feature, all the ones i've tested gives me 512MB of RAMDAC integrated, nothing more than that. So i downloaded the latest one with WQHL certification (actually it's 158.22) from here. How do you install these drivers? You have to download two files "Driver" (resultant file is '15822.exe') and "Modded Inf" (resultant file is 'nv4_disp.inf'), once you've downloaded both, run '15822.exe' and select a folder to unextract the contents, then, copy and overwrite the 'nv4_disp.inf' file into the same folder, open it and run "Setup", after the installation and reboot, 3D support and nVidia tweaks will be enable.

• 13 - USB2.0 1.3M WebCam - Install the ones included on the DVD - Installation method: In my case, Windows XP detected automatically the webcam interface, i went to "Device Manager" -> "Image Devices" -> right-click on the webcam, update driver, don't let Windows to search automatically, specify the path to search to "YourDVDLetter:\CAMERA\CHICONY\" and Windows will find the appropiated driver.

• 14 - Wireless Console Utility (WinXP) - Get it here
  • 15 - Bluetooth integrated module (WinXP) - Get drivers here
  • 16 - Power4Gear+ (Battery Modes Application) Utility (WinXP) - Get it here
  • 17 - Synaptics Touchpad - Install the ones included on the DVD - Installation Method: Point your browser to the following path: "YourDVDLetter:\TOUCHPAD\WINWDF\X86\" and execute "Setup"

• 18 - Ricoh Media Card Reader - Install the ones included on the DVD
  • 19 - Attansic Ethernet Driver & Utility - Install the ones included on the DVD
  • 20 - ASUS Splendid Technology Utility (WinXP) - Get it from here
One important thing i noticed and i read around there it's my PRO31SC-AP049C doesn't includes the tv-card-tuner included, just appears the connector cause it uses the same case that another models that includes it (as the Fingerprint device that doesn't comes with it)

Step #4 - HotFixes & Rest of the Applications

It's highly recommendable to apply all the "high-priority" hotfixes available from Windows Update site to improve your system, at least, if you didn't included the ASUS recommended HotFixes via nLite, you'd like to install them now.

align="justify">

There are a lot more of ASUS applications like LifeFrame, MultiFrame, Power4Phone, Net4Switch, InstantFun ... that could be found available for Windows XP on the "Downloads" section of F3Jv, Pro31M and Pro31T models. Since they're optional applications that offers non-exclusive features, i didn't included them as part of the essential component list.

align="justify">

Personally i've tested LifeFrame and Virtual Camera of original DVD and worked fine for me, also NBProbe, so feel free to test all the versions (dvd or the downloaded XP ones) and get the one that works better for you.

Step #5 - Happy End

Finally, after a lot of reboots and a lot of searches, all the features of your notebook will be available for Windows XP, at least, it worked for me. I think it's a happy end to could enjoy all the power of the features of this machine in a non-so-heavy-use-memory-and-eating-resources operating system like Windows Vista, in my opinion, Vista it's still on development till Service Pack 1 arrives. Sincerely, with Windows XP, letting graphics adaptor issue apart, i noticed just improvements versus Windows Vista. The three main reasons for me to switch to XP were:

align="justify">
  • RAM and system resources: Vista eats almost 600MB of memory just on start versus the 200MB of XP.
  • CPU Usage: with Aero activated, in a normal-quiet PC use (browsing, listening music, writing ...) Vista consumes between 10% and 25% of your CPU constantly, in the other hand, XP consumes just between 2% and 10% which increases the battery life in a good way.
  • Application Compatibility and performance: Let's face it, there are a lot of applications that still has not been switched to Vista architecture, and even less, ones designed exclusively for it, so XP it's still the main Windows to maintain the performance and the compatibility with most-used applications.

Step #6 - Comments, Conclussions & Credits

For ending, i'll just say this method worked 100% for me and i really wish it works for the rest of the people too, but i'm not professional, i'm just another PC enthusiast-lover, so excuse me if i made any possible mistake. In any case, if works or not, feel free to share your issues, i'll try to answer if i'm able to.

And of course, if you think you have a better option or solution, a better driver or a better version of an application, please share it, it's better than waiting an ASUS Official Support that all they say is this notebook is not designed for work with Windows XP, just with Windows Vista, sad thing.

After all, i'll always prefer Linux for almost all simple things like browsing, listening music and doing some simple stuff, but, i know there are a lot of people (including myself) who really needs Windows (a stable version of course) for work too, to get apps like Photoshop, Flash, Fireworks, Premiere, Audition, Cubase or others fast and simply native, not emulated. The option is easy.

align="justify">

This HOWTO was inspired by some posts of the entire ASUS forum as this one created by Juan to install Windows XP on a Z53SV/F3SV or this another one, created by Slomo to install it on a Z53JR machine, so i would really to thank all the people that did the same before than me, keep up the good work!

Reply Reply Quote & Reply Quote & Reply
xampion
Level :
Posted:6/29/2007 6:55:00 PM # 2
Buenas, lo que no entiendo, es como se hace para qie te reconozca el disco duro, yo me descargo el Intel Matrix Storage Manager floppy, y luego que hago?
Como lo añado?

Creo que deberias aclarar eso un poco mas, ya que es la parte mas importante...
Puedes responderlo en ingles si quieres....

Saludos.

Anterix
Level :
Posted:6/29/2007 8:01:00 PM # 3

Hello!

Thank you for your fantastic post.

I Have a F3Se. Do you think it is possible to Install XP in this case? What would be the differences? I noted I have a different Graphic Card. Its an ATI.

The problem with Vista for me is the AUDIO LATENCY in professional audio software.

I bet with XP it will be much better at least for the time being...

Sorry for my English, I am Portuguese, from Azores Islands.

Thank you for any help!

xampion
Level :
Posted:6/29/2007 8:55:00 PM # 4
Hola! Ya lo he conseguido gracias!
Lo que había hecho mal era en poner el conroldor SATA que no lo he puesto eso de Plaint text y sleccionarlos todos... pero lo he vuelto a hacer y ha funcionado ;)

Gracias!

Una cosa, para la grafica que version de drivers te bajaste?

Y otra mas... el bus high definition no me deja instalarlo... a lo primero despues de instalar el hotfix, luego iba a administrador de dispositivos, actualizar controlador y buscaba pero decia que no podia instalarlos... y ahora ya no me deja ni actualizarlos...

Saludos.

SirKeldon
Level :
Posted:6/29/2007 10:21:00 PM # 5

Quote:
Author: xampion Posted: 6/29/2007 8:55:00 PM

Hola! Ya lo he conseguido gracias!
Lo que había hecho mal era en poner el conroldor SATA que no lo he puesto eso de Plaint text y sleccionarlos todos... pero lo he vuelto a hacer y ha funcionado ;)

Gracias!

Una cosa, para la grafica que version de drivers te bajaste?

Y otra mas... el bus high definition no me deja instalarlo... a lo primero despues de instalar el hotfix, luego iba a administrador de dispositivos, actualizar controlador y buscaba pero decia que no podia instalarlos... y ahora ya no me deja ni actualizarlos...

Saludos.

Buenas! Me alegra mucho que al final lo hayas conseguido tú solo, aunque a raiz de tu primera respuesta he mejorado un poco la parte que me has comentado, cómo extraer los archivos y qué programas utilizar, espero que ahora esté un poco más claro. Lo principal para integrarlo es el nLite del que no explico gran cosa pq en la web oficial tienes una guía que te lo explica 3 veces mejor de lo que yo haría, lo tienes en castellano y si lo quieres completo, el inglés. Uso el nLite pq bajo mi punto de vista es el método más sencillo y rápido que he encontrado.

Para la gráfica me baje los 158.22 de laptopvideo2go, este es el post donde puedes encontrarlos, bájate el "Driver" y también el "Modded Inf", una vez tengas el 15822.exe bajado descomprímelo en un directorio de tu elección, ahora coge el otro archivo "nv4_disp.inf" y mételo en el mismo sitio donde has descomprimido los archivos del exe, te preguntara si quieres sobreescribirlo, le dices que sí, entras en el directorio, ejecutas el Setup, le das a "Continuar" cuando Windows te advierta de que los controladores no están firmados, esperas a que acabe, reinicias y teóricamente todo tendría que funcionarte.

Para instalar el UAA, debes descomprimir el zip y tienes dos opciones, ejecutas el "LANG.exe" que está en la raiz del directorio o te vas a la carpeta "Spanish" (si tienes el Windows en castellano) y ejecutas el .exe que hay allí. Cuando lo instales reinicia, luego vete al "Administrador de Dispositivos" y alli mira "Dispositivos de Sistema", te tiene que salir un campo llamado "PCI Device" con una redondita amarilla con un "?", haz click derecho y selecciona "Actualizar Controlador", no dejes que Windows se conecte para buscarlo online pero deja que lo detecte automáticamente luego, no le especifiques ningún sitio a buscar, que lo haga solo. A mi me detectó ese PCI Device como el Bus de High Definition Audio, después de eso, instalé los drivers oficiales de Realtek que también pongo en la lista y todo me funciona perfectamente.

SirKeldon
Level :
Posted:6/29/2007 10:50:00 PM # 6
Quote:
Author: Anterix Posted: 6/29/2007 8:01:00 PM

Hello!

Thank you for your fantastic post.

I Have a F3Se. Do you think it is possible to Install XP in this case? What would be the differences? I noted I have a different Graphic Card. Its an ATI.

The problem with Vista for me is the AUDIO LATENCY in professional audio software.

I bet with XP it will be much better at least for the time being...

Sorry for my English, I am Portuguese, from Azores Islands.

Thank you for any help!

Thanks to you for find it useful :)

I read F3Se specs, and as you say only notable difference is the graphics card. So, i suppose all drivers and utilities but graphics one should work for you, F3Se has PM965 chipset too as ICH8M SATA-HD controllers, WiFi 4965AGN, bluetooth and camera 1.3M (maybe you will have to install D-MAX instead of CHICONY one, don't know what specific camera mode has F3Se built-in)

As you noticed, many ASUS models like Z53JR, F3Jv, Pro31T, Pro31M ... have similarities and same or compatible hardware/drivers for F3Sc, so I suppose it should work for F3Se too. Talking about the Graphics Card, in the Slomo post i talk about on the "Credits section", i think there was a section to choose between if you have an ATI or nVidia card, check them out, it's in spanish but if you're portuguese, sure you won't lose at all. If these drivers don't work for you, perform a search of the ASUS models that includes an ATI card and check if they have drivers available for WinXP on its download section, then try to install them. If still you're not getting nothing, search google, maybe there is some site like laptopvideo2go for ATI Notebook Graphics card.

About the sound thing you mentioned, it's true, it's so hard to control Professional Audio Controls on Vista, i have a Creative Audigy 4 Pro running on my desktop PC, i tried Vista on it and all audio controls were strangely turn CONTROLLED by OS software, Creative Software was unoperative and i lost much audio card capabilities, don't know why, ASIO was giving me problems too with Guitar Rig 2 ... i uninstalled Vista quickly ...

Sorry for your english? Ok, so maybe I should say the same cause I'm spanish, so no problem at all ;)

Thank you and good luck!!! :)

xampion
Level :
Posted:6/29/2007 10:56:00 PM # 7
Eso del Bus de High Definition Audio lo hice y me sale pero me dice que no hay ningun controlador instalado... y le doy a actualizar controlador pero no me deja.

Cuando intento instalarme los driver oficiales de realtek, en el paso de instalar Realtek HD me da error, me dice:

Fallo de instalación del controlador de audio Realtek HD... y no se que puedo hacer.
Intento desinstalar e lcontrolador de
Bus de High Definition Audio pero tampoco me deja y he instalado el hotfix... sabes que podria ser?

Saludos y Gracias por tu rapida atencion ;)

SirKeldon
Level :
Posted:6/29/2007 11:27:00 PM # 8
Quote:
Author: xampion Posted: 6/29/2007 10:56:00 PM

Eso del Bus de High Definition Audio lo hice y me sale pero me dice que no hay ningun controlador instalado... y le doy a actualizar controlador pero no me deja.

Cuando intento instalarme los driver oficiales de realtek, en el paso de instalar Realtek HD me da error, me dice:

Fallo de instalación del controlador de audio Realtek HD... y no se que puedo hacer.
Intento desinstalar e lcontrolador de
Bus de High Definition Audio pero tampoco me deja y he instalado el hotfix... sabes que podria ser?

Saludos y Gracias por tu rapida atencion ;)

No entiendo del todo pq te falla, ¿es justamente el mismo portátil? PRO31SC-AP049C?, si es así antes de instalar los drivers oficiales de Realtek, en tu administrador de dispositivos tienes que actualizar el PCI Device como te digo, y no puede haber ningun error o warning, si no, no te dejará instalarlos. Instala el hotfix de nuevo, por si acaso instala después también el driver del modem que incluye el DVD, reinicia la máquina y vuelve a intentar actualizar el "PCI Device" y esperemos que esta vez te lo instale todo (te saltaran unas cuantas ventanas ya que detecta unos cuantos componentes, no dejes a ninguno que se busque online, todos que los busque automáticamente después de ese paso), en el administrador de dispositivos se te actualizarán las cosas y entonces podrás instalar los drivers de Realtek. Espero que te sirva, si no, espero que algún otro usuario con más paciencia sepa cómo podría arreglarse si eso no funciona pq no se me ocurren más opciones de momento.

Saludos y mucha suerte!!!!

Anterix
Level :
Posted:6/30/2007 11:01:00 AM # 9
Would it be possible to Dual boot Vista and XP in these models?

Anterix
Level :
Posted:7/1/2007 3:19:00 AM # 10
I have now XP installed on the F3Se. Any ideas on where to find Drivers for the Ati Graphics Card?

Thank you for the great post that made this possible!

1 2 3 4 5  Next  Last
Previous Topic:: Next Topic
Feedback for our Website ModeratorModerator: MCZ New Topic Related FAQ Related FAQ Forum Home Forum Home
Forum Model :
Legal Information | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Contact Us | ASUS Global
  ©ASUSTeK Computer Inc. All rights reserved.