Join member

ASUS Support Home Location : Forum > Motherboard  
  Forum  
  Topic : EZ Flash 2 - the safest way to update BIOS New Topic
Hiker
Level :
Tech Points : 7638
Posted:2/15/2007 10:35:00 PM # 1
This thread is listed in the Elite Posts.

EZ Flash 2 – the best, the safest and the most convenient way to update BIOS.

Revised July 31, 2011 - Description for update through ASUS BUPDATER.

Updating BIOS is serious business!
Every precaution should therefore be taken to prevent that anything goes wrong. Avoid ASUS UPDATE!
There are a couple a DOS alternatives, AFUDOS and BUPDATER (newer motherboards), that also are good and safe to use.

Note: AFUDOS (floppy drive) can only be used for BIOS files up to a size of 1 MB due to the limited storage capacity.

EZ Flash 2 is a built-in function of BIOS. It is the safest way to update BIOS, because one is not dependent on the operating system, any application, internet connection, firewall settings, antivirus or anything else that can put the vital BIOS update at risk.

On a new build, BIOS can be updated to the latest version before installation of the OS, which may possibly make the installation go smoother and safer.

Note: All what's said below about loading BIOS defaults also applies to the other BIOS update methods (ASUS Update, AFUDOS and BUPDATER)! 

The PC should not be overclocked during the BIOS update! Always load and save BIOS defaults before and after a BIOS update (press <F5>). By loading and saving BIOS defaults before the update, CPU frequency, memory frequency and voltages are set to default (Auto).
Memory timings are set to SPD values which ensure that a PC with high performance memory that need a higher voltage than 1.8V for DDR2 or 1.5V for DDR3 is able to boot on the standard Memory Voltage.
Save the default settings (press <F10>) before starting the update.

Preparation:

1. Document all your preferred BIOS settings (i.e. the settings you have changed from the default setting).
  2. Download the BIOS file, which normally is compressed (zipped).
  3. Extract (unzip) the BIOS file to a FAT/FAT32 formatted USB Flash Disk with only one partition (or to a Floppy Disk or a CD-ROM). If the unzipped BIOS file is named like e.g. 'P5B-ASUS-Deluxe-1101.ROM', you can rename it to 'P5BD1101.ROM'. Otherwise a truncated name will appear as 'P5B-AS~1.ROM' due to a limitation to max 8 characters in the filename (8.3).
  4. style="MARGIN: 0cm 0cm 0pt; mso-list: l0 level1 lfo1; tab-stops: list 36.0pt" class=MsoNormal>Update:
  5. Reboot.
  6. Press (tap) <DEL> during POST (Power-On Self Test) to enter BIOS Setup.
  7. Load BIOS Defaults (press <F5>).
  8. Insert the USB Flash Disk containing the BIOS file P5BDxxxx.ROM. (Note that the USB Flash Disk has to be inserted before boot to enter BIOS, otherwise it won't be detected). 
  9. Save and Exit <F10>. (BIOS will now restart).
  10. During BIOS restart, press <DEL> to enter BIOS Setup again.
  11. Under Tools menu, select ASUS EZ Flash 2. It may take 20 seconds for the drives to show up. Select a drive in the left pane <Tab>. Use <Up> and <Down> arrows and <Enter> to select a drive. If you don't see the BIOS file in the right pane, check the other drives. Note that the drive letters may not be the same here as in Windows.
  12. Select the BIOS file (e.g. P5BD1101.ROM) and press <Enter> to start flashing. Supervise the update, which includes the following stages: Erasing - Flashing (writing) - Verification. BIOS will automatically restart when the update is ready.
  13. Disconnect the USB Flash Disk before/during the restart.
  14. Perform a C.P.R. (CPU Parameter Recall) which resets the chipset. Power down, remove power cord from the PSU for 2 minutes and then power up.
  15. Enter BIOS and load BIOS Defaults <F5> again.
  16. Reenter your preferred BIOS settings - if you are using AHCI or RAID mode, don't forget to set the SATA mode to [AHCI / RAID]. Also remember the settings for other controllers, Audio and Memory Voltage. Check also that the Boot Device Priority is correct.
  17. Save and Exit <F10> (automatic restart).
  18. Press <DEL> to enter BIOS Setup and make a final check that all BIOS settings are ok. Save any changes

BIOS update through ASUS BUPDATER

BUPDATER is a DOS utility (runs under the DOS operating system). This utility is available for newer motherboards. The human interface is the same as for EZ Flash 2 (the text commands are the same as in AFUDOS).

Preparation:
- You will need the motherboard Support DVD.
- From the ASUS Download site, download, and if compressed extract, BUPDATER to a FAT/FAT32 formatted USB stick.
- Download and extract the BIOS file to the same USB stick as BUPDATER.
- Insert the Support DVD and the USB stick containing BUPDATER + the BIOS file.
- Reboot and press F8. Select boot from the Support DVD.

Update:
- When the Support DVD has booted and promted, select FreeDOS by entering its number.
- Press
<Enter>

- At the FreeDOS prompt, type: A: and press <Enter> (or B: or D:, wherever you find BUPDATER)
- At the A:\> prompt, type: BUPDATER /PC /G and press <Enter>
- Follow the on-screen instructions.

If the BIOS update doesn't work
If the BIOS update via EZ Flash 2/BUPDATER through an USB stick doesn't work, check that the following prerequisites are fulfilled:
- The USB stick is partitioned FAT32/FAT.
- The USB stick has only one (1) partition.
- The BIOS file on the USB stick is extracted (unzipped/decompressed).
- The USB stick is inserted before boot so that it can be reqognized.

In case of a new build:

When BIOS is updated to the latest version, and prior to the installation of the operating system, run Memtest86+ (v4.20 or later) for a few hours to check that the memory test doesn't report any errors.
There are precompiled, bootable downloads for Floppy Disk, USB Flash Drive and CD-ROM (ISO).

Memtest86+ v4.20 released January 25, 2011
http://www.memtest.org/
http://www.memtest.org/download/4.20/memtest86+-4.20.iso.zip        (Bootable CD)
http://www.memtest.org/download/4.20/memtest86+-4.20.floppy.zip   (Bootable Floppy)
(The unzipped ISO file is burnt as "image" on a CD)

Reply Reply Quote & Reply Quote & Reply
ASUS P8Z77-V PRO (BIOS 2104) -- Intel i7 3770K -- Noctua NH-U12P SE2 -- 8GB (2x4GB) Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1600MHz 8-8-8-24 2T 1.5V -- iGPU -- System drive RAID 0 on 2x120GB Intel SSD 520 (6Gbs), storage on RAID 1, 2x250GB/16MB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 SATA2, additional storage 1x250GB/16MB -- DVD-RW ASUS DRW-24F1ST -- all drives on Intel Z77 controller -- Antec P180B -- Corsair HX750 PSU -- Win7 Ultimate x64 SP1 -- Chipset Device Software 10.0.14 -- IRST 13.1.0.1058 -- UEFI/CSM, SSDs and HDDs GPT partition formatted -- IE11
MARINECOP
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 1
Posted:2/20/2007 11:24:00 AM # 2
That is some great info.  This should be a sticky.

digicool
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 6
Posted:2/20/2007 7:51:00 PM # 3
Will the new BIOS remember the OC profile which is saved, so after making default setting I update the bios & then can I load the setting of my OC profile?
or do I have to again manually set the OC settings?

C2D 6300 OC@3.304Ghz,ASUS P5B-Dlx Wifi,4GB Transcend DDR2 800Mhz, XFX 7600GT,Lenovo 20"Widescreen LCD, Seagate SATA2 HDD160/250/320GB, Windows7 x64
Hiker
Level :
Posted:2/20/2007 8:16:00 PM # 4
The OC Profile will remain after the update. I'm not sure if it's a good idea to use this method for transferring the BIOS settings to a new BIOS version. I'm afraid something could go wrong if settings are removed or added in the new BIOS version.
Personally, I prefer to manually reenter my preferred settings again after I've loaded BIOS defaults.

If anyone worries about what will happen with a configured RAID volume, I can say that the RAID configuration is saved in another place and won't be affected. If AHCI or RAID mode is used, 'IDE Configuration - Configure SATA as' [IDE/AHCI/RAID] has to be reconfigured though.

ASUS P8Z77-V PRO (BIOS 2104) -- Intel i7 3770K -- Noctua NH-U12P SE2 -- 8GB (2x4GB) Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1600MHz 8-8-8-24 2T 1.5V -- iGPU -- System drive RAID 0 on 2x120GB Intel SSD 520 (6Gbs), storage on RAID 1, 2x250GB/16MB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 SATA2, additional storage 1x250GB/16MB -- DVD-RW ASUS DRW-24F1ST -- all drives on Intel Z77 controller -- Antec P180B -- Corsair HX750 PSU -- Win7 Ultimate x64 SP1 -- Chipset Device Software 10.0.14 -- IRST 13.1.0.1058 -- UEFI/CSM, SSDs and HDDs GPT partition formatted -- IE11
digicool
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:2/20/2007 9:56:00 PM # 5
Thanks,
so its better to note down ur settings before u update ur bios, hope my question helps others too.

C2D 6300 OC@3.304Ghz,ASUS P5B-Dlx Wifi,4GB Transcend DDR2 800Mhz, XFX 7600GT,Lenovo 20"Widescreen LCD, Seagate SATA2 HDD160/250/320GB, Windows7 x64
rjmichaelson
Level :
Tech Points : 0
Posted:2/23/2007 2:14:00 AM # 6
Good instructions and responses. I tried to use this utility several times and get the same result every time: the EZ Flash 2 screen comes up, then the computer screen completely freezes.

I am going to try to upgrade the BIOS using a bootable floppy disk. Is it possible to re-upgrade/reinstall the 1004 BIOS if I think there might be a problem with it? After the last BIOS upgrade, my on-board audio system failed, or rather, disappeared. I am not certain that the upgraded BIOS is the problem, though, because I also installed a couple of new PCI cards.

Medical Doctor, Anesthesiologist, built my first PC last fall using ASUS P5B Deluxe Wi-Fi based on "Best Bang for the Buck" article on Extreme Tech & PC Magazine Articles.
Hiker
Level :
Posted:2/23/2007 3:01:00 AM # 7

rjmichaelson

So you are going to try the AFUDOS method? That is a good alternative but it will need some more effort:

From www.bootdisk.com run (on the webpage) the ?third? choice - the bootdisk without drivers and especially for flashing - to create a bootable floppy (a bootable diskett created in Windows will have too little space left for afudos.exe + the BIOS file).

- Copy AFUDOS.EXE (v2.32 or later) to the created floppy.
- Copy the decompressed (unzipped) file P5BD1101.ROM to the floppy. The BIOS file may have a naming like 'P5B-ASUS-Deluxe-1101.ROM'. If so, rename the file to P5BD1101.ROM (otherwise a truncated name like 'P5B-AS~1.ROM' will show up, due to a limitation to 8 characters in file names (8.3).
- With the floppy inserted - reboot (Floppy Drive set as first Boot Device).

If DOS only prompts with A:\>, type AFUDOS and press <Enter> to see command formats.

To flash the new BIOS, type:
A:\>afudos /iP5BD1101.ROM

As always, load and save BIOS defaults before and after the BIOS update (se earlier post).
(After the BIOS update - after loading defaults, remember to reenter your preferred BIOS settings, the ones you have changed from default, before saving).

digicool
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:7/17/2007 11:34:00 PM # 8
Old thread but thought It will be useful info for other.

The bios update keeps the saved over clocking profile so if you have done some manul setting & want to retain that, save it in the bios profile & revert to that after its updated.

bustamove44
Level :
Tech Points : 0
Posted:8/20/2007 9:11:00 PM # 9
HIKER, I COULD KISS YOU!!!!! [not in a gay way of course] i tried everything, i spend a whole day trying to get my system back and this advice worked! in my case i must mention, that i had to rename the beta bios mentioned to p5bd.rom. when i named it what you suggest it didnt work.

But i was doing a bios recovery from a flash drive i could not get a post anywhere else just recovery mode.

THANKYOU THANKYOU THANKYOU!!!!!!!!!!

asus Rampage extreme II. i7 920, Thermalright 120 ultra extreme. 2x raptor 74gb drives 2x 250gb sata drives. bench table, enermax galaxy 850w psu. 9800 gx2 graphics. 3gb corsair dominator 1800mhz.
Hiker
Level :
Posted:8/20/2007 10:48:00 PM # 10

Isch!

But, bustamove44, I have to ask you which method you are referring to? Is it EZ Flash 2 or is it CrashFree BIOS 3 ?

To me it sounds like the CrashFree BIOS 3 method, where you put the BIOS version that failed during update on an USB Flash Disk (or a floppy or a CD). The file should be renamed to P5BD.ROM (just as the name of the BIOS file that is present on the Motherboard Support CD). BTW, the User Guide says that also the mentioned CD can be used for recovery. CrashFree BIOS 3 automatically finds the BIOS file on the CD.

CrashFree BIOS 3 is used this way:
1. Insert the media (USB key, floppy or CD) that contains the unzipped BIOS file that failed to update, renamed to P5BD.ROM.
2. Power down.
3. Power up.

Now the function CrashFree BIOS 3 starts looking for a device that contains the BIOS file and when found starts recovering the BIOS.

Please clarify!

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9  Next  Last
Previous Topic:: Next Topic
Feedback for our Website ModeratorModerator: New Topic Related FAQ Related FAQ Forum Home Forum Home
Forum Model :
Legal Information | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Contact Us | ASUS Global
  ©ASUSTeK Computer Inc. All rights reserved.