ASUS Support Home Location : Forum > PDA > P525  
  Forum  
  Topic : Improving search functions with T9 New Topic
Max Corvette
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 0
Posted:12/5/2006 2:20:00 AM # 1

The way the P525 use T9 while searching a contact is quite confusing... Actually it works in two ways:

1) If you have a contact highlighted the T9 DOESNT WORK and you can only search a contact by numbers. It means that if you insert eg. the number 01 you will have a list of ALL the contacts that HAVE THOSE NUMBERS inside the phone number... (quite useless!!)

2) If you go inside the search field THEN you can use T9 and you input NOT numbers but letters to search for a contact. This is the logic way it should work the search contact function.

3) If I want to change from case 1) to case 2) I have two options: tapping inside the search field with the pen (and therefore use 2 hands on the device) OR scroll up until I reach the top of the list and the cursor enter in the search field (and if you have a huge amount of contacts this way is not praticable)

Actually when you search for someone you remeber his/her name NOT his/her number... so the case 1) for searching someone it's TOTALLY USELESS AND SHOULD BE ELIMINATED.

When you search someone pressing the numbers on the keypad SHOULD ACTIVATE DIRECTLY the T9 and we SHOULD SEE only letters.... If I want to insert a number the T9 has the standard function that you can press and hold the key to see the corresponding number.

So Asus PLEASE change the way in which this confusing T9 works on the P525

Reply Reply Quote & Reply Quote & Reply
jerkin
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:12/8/2006 12:53:00 AM # 2
WHEN I BOUGHT MY PDA 3 WEEKS AGO I HAVE THE SAME PROLEM, TOO. ANOTHER PROBLEM FOR ME IS THE WINDOWS MEDIA PLAYER.
THE CATOLOGUE OF MUSIC DEFAULT IS ON PDA DIRECTORY BUT THE MP3 ARE OF COURSE ON THE MINI-SD CARD.
MOREOVER WHEN I TAP ON THE RIGHT SIDE THE BUTTON "TOURN OFF" THE MINI-SD TOURN OFF AND WHEN THE PDA ARE CHANGING THE SONG IT SEND TO ME A ERROR MESSAGE....
SO I HAVE TO FIND MY PDA, TOURN ON, REMOVE THE SD AND REPLACE IT FOR EACH SONG!
CAN YOU CHANGE ALSO THIS?
I THINK THE PROBLEM WILL REMAIN WHIT TOMTOM NAVIGATOR.
BEST REGARD.

PS. SORRY FOR MY ENGLISH...

aleeee
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:12/18/2006 10:48:00 PM # 3
I have got the same problem! Please let t9 works on the phone screen, it's very important!!

Thanks
and thanks to Max Corvette for the post!

Max Corvette
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:12/21/2006 7:32:00 AM # 4
There is a software called EZDial that let you select contacts by name from the phone window... just press the number and a list of corresponding contact will appear. Then you can call directly the number you choose.

I installed the demo but it created me some compatibility problems... also I'm betatesting oter software and EZDial creates some conflicts with other software. I now have to do a hard reset for the second time in the last 2 days!!!

Please ASUS, change the T9 system of the P525!!

Also there some incongruencies with the fields of the contacts... Eg: if the cursor is inside a numeric field (for exemple the mobile number field) then the T9 should be automatically disabled and we should enter only numbers.
Actually also when you are in a numeric field can enter letters. And I have to change the T9 behavior by selecting the "number" option...

This selection must be automatic! When I'm in a numeric filed I must use only number (and maybe symbols like + or *) and when in a not numerci field then the normal T9 should come.

stark
Level :
Posted:1/5/2007 7:28:00 AM # 5

Quote:
Author: Max Corvette Posted: 12/5/2006 2:20:00 AM

The way the P525 use T9 while searching a contact is quite confusing... Actually it works in two ways:

1) If you have a contact highlighted the T9 DOESNT WORK and you can only search a contact by numbers. It means that if you insert eg. the number 01 you will have a list of ALL the contacts that HAVE THOSE NUMBERS inside the phone number... (quite useless!!)

2) If you go inside the search field THEN you can use T9 and you input NOT numbers but letters to search for a contact. This is the logic way it should work the search contact function.

3) If I want to change from case 1) to case 2) I have two options: tapping inside the search field with the pen (and therefore use 2 hands on the device) OR scroll up until I reach the top of the list and the cursor enter in the search field (and if you have a huge amount of contacts this way is not praticable)

Actually when you search for someone you remeber his/her name NOT his/her number... so the case 1) for searching someone it's TOTALLY USELESS AND SHOULD BE ELIMINATED.

When you search someone pressing the numbers on the keypad SHOULD ACTIVATE DIRECTLY the T9 and we SHOULD SEE only letters.... If I want to insert a number the T9 has the standard function that you can press and hold the key to see the corresponding number.

So Asus PLEASE change the way in which this confusing T9 works on the P525

This is indeed a very serious problem.
When searching contacts T9 (letters) should be activated by default - and not numbers, just like it works on every mobile device out there.

I hope Asus fixes this with a new rom upgrade or a patch :/

NG
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:1/7/2007 12:54:00 AM # 6

I agreed to the above posted issues which I am facing the same problem as well.

It would be difficulties to search for a contact by the stored location number.

I bought P525 on 1-Jan-2007 , it looks like the problem has been hanging since until today without any improvement or resolution.

I have 2 more problems or findings here regards to the contacts as below :

1) Copy the contact from SIM to phone , is there any way to setting for being void the contact name being changed & copy as accordance to what has been input at SIM.

For examples :

The contact name on SIM  is  : Lee Mun Tong

Upon copy to phone , the name will be recorded as only  : Tong Lee.

2) 2nd problem , I wonder this is my software problem or the phone's feature limitation.
Correct me I am wrong. I noticed that when scroll the contact with the joystick ( Hold up or down ) for few second , the screen will auto pop up with a letter counter to facilitate your search,( this is very good feature) , but when I select the letter I need (( for examples "T" ) , it will not automatic jump to all contact name started with "T" , it will still end up at the same location. Is this normal ??

But when I copy all the contact to Phone & trying to search by scrolls with the joystick, It do works accordingly which it will automatic jump to the letter as selected. What it can't work when the contact was in SIM ?

cheng
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:3/6/2007 8:53:00 AM # 7
I totally agree with Max, and all the above users that the search must be by alphabet directly and not numeric which any phone user will ask for. 

In fact I bought the P525 against many other brands because of the keypad for easy phone use.  I am totally suprise the keypad behave in this funny way which I doubt the Asus design specification "asked for"!? 

We appreciate that Asus will soon provide us, the users, with the patch for normal alpha search for the phone contact. Thank you.

tacaza
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:3/30/2007 1:34:00 AM # 8
I completely agree with u Max. The selection must be changed automatically when in numberic or letter field.

Tomasz
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:4/4/2007 4:29:00 AM # 9
SO WE ALL WAITING FOR CHANGE T9 FUNCTION.
ASUS PLEASE HELP US !!!
YOURS CLIENT.

ariel
Level :
Posted:5/7/2007 11:45:00 AM # 10

anyt luck getting the solution for this?

1 2  Next  Last
Previous Topic:: Next Topic
Feedback for our Website ModeratorModerator: HHC New Topic Related FAQ Related FAQ Forum Home Forum Home
Forum Model :
Legal Information | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Contact Us | ASUS Global
  ©ASUSTeK Computer Inc. All rights reserved.