ASUS Support Home Location : Forum > Motherboard > P5W  
  Forum  
  Topic : AMI BIOS BEEP CODES New Topic
DutchBBQ
Level :
Tech Points : 0
Posted:11/23/2006 11:16:00 PM # 1

P5W HD Deluxe has an AMI BIOS.

Several people in this forum addressed boot problems, signalling 1 long beep followed by 2 short beeps.
Some are referring it as a Video card problem (ref. IBM beep codes), other as a RAM problem, so there is some confusion. I believe that some have made conclusions, based on the wrong source. It IS a RAM problem!

1 long, 3 short: Conventional/Extended memory failure
Conventional/Extended memory failure means that the system is reporting an error with the DRAM sticks that you have installed in your system. The most likely problem is either fault RAM, or improperly seated RAM (try reseating the RAM or moving it around to different slots).
AMI BIOS Beep Codes: http://bioscentral.com/beepcodes/amibeep.htm
1 long, 3 short Memory test failure A fault has been detected in memory above 64KB

Note: do NOT take next beepcodes in your conclusions for this particular motherboard:

IBM Desktop BIOS Beep Codes: http://bioscentral.com/beepcodes/ibmbeep.htm
1 long, 3 short EGA/VGA adapter error  

Award BIOS Beep Codes: http://bioscentral.com/beepcodes/awardbeep.htm

1long, 3short No video card or bad video RAM Reseat or replace the video card.

Reply Reply Quote & Reply Quote & Reply
NghtShd
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:11/24/2006 12:39:00 AM # 2
"Several people in this forum addressed boot problems, signalling 1 long beep followed by 2 short beeps."

Is that a typo? Your references are for 1 long 3 short and since you refer to the AMI BIOS and say it is a memory problem I'll assume you meant 1 long and 3 short.

My P5W DH Deluxe gives 1 long and 3 short if I remove the video card. Another person had posted 1 long and 3 short with one video card and not when the video card is changed. This thread also talks about 1 long and 3 short and appears to be a video problem.

>
I believe that some have made conclusions, based on the wrong source. It IS a RAM problem!

I believe you may have made a wrong assumption, yourself. Try pulling your video card and then starting the machine. It could be that you'll get the 1 long and 3 short with the RAM missing too (I'm going to try that when I finish typing this), in which case it's an ambiguous code.

-- Edit --
Ok, I started with no RAM and I got what was either 3 shorts or 1 long and 2 shorts. The first beep was discernably longer than the next two, but just slightly. This pattern repeated much quicker than the 1 long and 3 short when I had no video card installed. Whatever the no memory beep pattern was it was definitely not the same as the no video beep which was clearly 1 long and 3 short.

DutchBBQ
Level :
Posted:11/24/2006 1:13:00 AM # 3

NghtShd,

You're correct: it was a typo.

"Keepy" member of this forum has referred to AWARD bios.....beep codes.

Someone else was referring to IBM bios beep codes.

P5W HD Deluxe HAS an AMI Bios. This is not an assumption.
And AMI has its own specific beep codes, which isn't an assumption as well.

However, I've noticed diverse posts that the specific sequence of beep codes seemed to be related to Graphic Cards. That's why I started this thread, hoping that someone, particularly someone at ASUS, could reveal what's really going on.

This thread could become interesting........

Keep us posted!!

NghtShd
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:11/24/2006 4:37:00 AM # 4
What I mean by assumption is that the beep codes on this board follow the AMI standard. Granted, it's a fair assumption, in general, but not in light of the fact that people with video card problems are getting 1 long 3 short. That and my direct experience tells me theat 1 long 3 short isn't memory failure.

I suppose it's conceivable that a power issue could lead to a memory test failure when using one video card and not when using another, but if you have a solidly working system like mine and pulling the video card gives you 1 long 3 short then I think it rules that possibility out.

Previous Topic:: Next Topic
Feedback for our Website ModeratorModerator: Ulrich New Topic Related FAQ Related FAQ Forum Home Forum Home
Forum Model :
Legal Information | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Contact Us | ASUS Global
  ©ASUSTeK Computer Inc. All rights reserved.