Join member

ASUS Support Home Location : Forum > Motherboard > P2B-VM  
  Forum  
  Topic : ASUS P2B-VT New Topic
grant
Level :
Tech Points : 0
Posted:11/8/2006 4:00:00 AM # 1

I have this board from a old HP 8562, 500mhz p3 ASUS P2B-VT with the Via 133 chipset. I have updated the bios to 1.16 and now would like to change the CPU to improve performance. I have read on the web that this board is capable of running up to 1.1ghz with a slot 1 370 adaptor card and the bios update.

My question is can I use a Flip chip FCPGA chip with this adaptor ? Because I already have a 766/128/66/1.7v Celeron chip that I would like to use, Has anyone done something like this ? I dont want to damage the chip or motherboard if it is not compatible, as it looks like it will fit the 370 socket just fine.

Reply Reply Quote & Reply Quote & Reply
Ulrich
Level :
Tech Points : 18419
Posted:11/8/2006 4:40:00 AM # 2
As you mention, an adaptor is necessary and you might be able to find one somewhere.  But the BIOS is an entirely different matter.  The HP board may be (and probably is) set up significantly differently than the same model Asus board.  Although Asus made the board, HP designated what embedded hardware was to go on it.  And HP wrote the BIOS...  So it is very likely that no BIOS revision from Asus would flash and if it did, might render the CMOS useless, not to mention the possibilities for direct BIOS and Hard drive cooperation in the system restore protocals for the original unit. 

Your best bet is to contact HP and see if there are any BIOS revisions available for this mainboard but it is unlikely that there will be.  As has been said before, companies like Hp, Compaq, Gateway, etc., are much more interested in selling you a new system than is helping you upgrade the one you already have.

There are 10 kinds of people in the World...Those who understand binary, and those who dont!
grant
Level :
Posted:11/9/2006 1:25:00 AM # 3

As I mentioned I already updated the Bios to version 1.16 and the tech notes from HP stated that this update adds B-O stepping with CPUID = 683h support ! This would mean that theoretically this board could or might support up to 1000gz CPU as there is many slot 1 CPU’s that have that stepping code up to 1000gz.

Yes your right that HP won’t support anything over 500mz with this model Pavilion 8562, as I have talked to tech support and there restricted to saying only what has been printed by HP. BUT there 86xx series has this very same Asus P2B-VT with Bios 1.16 running with a 800mz slot 1 CPU so I am pretty sure it will support at least that !

My question is can I use a Flip chip 370 FCPGA chip with a slot 1 adaptor ? And use a more readily available CPU like the 370 FCPGA chip or has anyone had some experience with doing that ? Maybe I just need to use a Slot 1 CPU only because I know that these slot 1 adaptors can be very touchy :)

I really don’t want to buy a new system as this would be to costly. I just need window 98se to run fast enough that I’m not totally annoyed by the system, I plan on using this as a MP3 Jukebox for about 40gigs of music but at 500mz I’m forever waiting on the menus to change :(

The slot 1 to 370 adaptor is on flebay for 4 dollars shipped the total is 11 dollars so there really cheep and easy to get and I already have a FCPGA 766 Celeron that I would like to use if possible.

grant
Level :
Posted:11/15/2006 7:40:00 AM # 4
Anyone willing to offer more input ?

Previous Topic:: Next Topic
Feedback for our Website ModeratorModerator: New Topic Related FAQ Related FAQ Forum Home Forum Home
Forum Model :
Legal Information | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Contact Us | ASUS Global
  ©ASUSTeK Computer Inc. All rights reserved.