ASUS Support Home Location : Forum > Motherboard > P5W DH Deluxe  
  Forum  
  Topic : How to turn on Virtualization? New Topic
brightonbob
Level :
Tech Points : 0
Posted:10/13/2006 3:16:00 AM # 1
Hi

I have a P5W DH Deluxe updated to the latest BIOS version with 2GB of good RAM and a Intel core 2 duo  6400 (2.13Ghz).

I cant see how to turn on (and use) the virtualization in the bios - the option is there butis  greyed out and I cant select it. I have linux installed with "Parallels" and Windows XP as the guest OS. It all works but I will get better perfromance if I can work how to turn it on...

I have read the manual,  serached the forum,  FAQ and support docs on the this site - nothing at all - am I using the wrong keyword?

All help will be very gratefully received.

Thanks
Clayton

Reply Reply Quote & Reply Quote & Reply
Telorn
Level :
Tech Points : 5
Posted:10/13/2006 10:35:00 PM # 2
I believe the 'virtualization' in the BIOS is referring to the HyperThreading Technology, which is not supported by Core 2 Duo.  You have no performance degradation with it being disabled.

P5W-DH Deluxe, E6600, Corsair 2048 8500C5, X1900XTX 512, WD Raptor HDs, SB X-Fi
Andyistic
Level :
Tech Points : 0
Posted:10/15/2006 4:13:00 AM # 3
http://www.intel.com/cd/channel/reseller/asmo-na/eng/products/server/processors/250640.htm

Virtualization has to do with being able to run multiple operating systems at the same time - each of them thinking they are the only system currently running.
To enable this feature on the motherboard, you cannot use the Speed Step feature.

If you want to use virtualization with operating systems, you need a Virtual Machine monitor, such as the one from VM-Ware: http://www.vmware.com/products/server/vc14.html

If you're not interested in running multiple operating systems simultaneously, then you need not bother with the virtualization setting.

-- Andy

Motherboard: Asus P5W-DH CPU: Intel Core2-Duo (Conroe) Memory: OCZ 2-GB Dual-channel at 800 MHz Fan-HeatSink combos installed on both Northbridge and Southbridge circuits. nVidia GF7300 GS video (PCI-Express x16) Creative SB-Live (for use with MIDI) Promise TX-133 IDE add-on card. Various fans mounted anywhere there could be one (side panel, etc.)
Previous Topic:: Next Topic
Feedback for our Website ModeratorModerator: New Topic Related FAQ Related FAQ Forum Home Forum Home
Forum Model :
Legal Information | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Contact Us | ASUS Global
  ©ASUSTeK Computer Inc. All rights reserved.