ASUS Support Home Location : Forum > Notebook > A6T  
  Forum  
  Topic : serious problem with linux New Topic
puntovale
Level :
Tech Points : 35
Posted:9/5/2006 4:08:00 AM # 1
hi!
i have problem with linux: when i run 3d applications  i take a white screen and i only can restart the notebook.
I have installed nvidia driver without problem and i think this problem is caused from bios bug. Infact at linux start up i take this error message: "MP-Bios bug: 8254 timer not connected to IO-APIC"
I hope somebody read this message and resolve the problem because i dont want use this notebook as only text editor.

thanks in advance

Reply Reply Quote & Reply Quote & Reply
DD
Level :
Tech Points : 0
Posted:9/6/2006 2:53:00 AM # 2
Hello,
I think i have found your answer:
you have to desactive noapic and nolapic.

On Debian based OS, edit your menu.lst
and comment this line:

# defoptions=quiet splash noapic nolapic

I have a question for you now :)
i want to buy a A6T series laptop, and i would know if there are any problems with linux (i'm using Debian/ubuntu and Suse)?
wifi, graphical card ?
 thanks a lot !

puntovale
Level :
Tech Points : 35
Posted:9/10/2006 11:55:00 PM # 3
Hi! thanks for answer and sorry for my long delay.
I have disabled noapic and nolapic and i have resolved Mp-bios bug error message but the most important problem with 3d applications  still remain. So it's impossible for me to run 3d applications on linux ubuntu. The problem is not ubuntu because on nvidia forum there are a lot of persons that have same problem with Suse, Fedora etc.

For answer at your question, with alot of troubles i have configured wireless card and now it work well. If there wasn't this seriously problem with 3d applications this notebook would be perfect... but it isn't

Previous Topic:: Next Topic
Feedback for our Website ModeratorModerator: MCZ New Topic Related FAQ Related FAQ Forum Home Forum Home
Forum Model :
Legal Information | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Contact Us | ASUS Global
  ©ASUSTeK Computer Inc. All rights reserved.