Forum  
  Topic : P5W DH Deluxe Temperatures (ASUS BE PROACTIVE) New Topic
Oscar
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 0
Posted:8/20/2006 1:09:00 PM # 1

Hey guys:

I've ordered this board on Thursday 8/18 , and it got shipped and coming on the 25th, along with a Core 2 Extreme x6800.

Before they shipped I called the retailer, and asked them if this was the latest revision. The rep. said kindly that they were aware of the POST problems on these boards, reason why they recalled the boards, and she assured me that this was the new revision. (I'm getting AFUDOS + BIOS 1101 on a floppy + old Pentium 4 3.8 just in case)

Now the question is, I heard so many people in forums saying how bad is this Motherbard Temp. Pleople reports temps of 47C-50C (IDLE) on the mobo, and the CPU is cooler than it.

I've seen people replacing removing the Northbridge and Southbridge heatsinks and replacing the "poor" thermal paste with Artic Silver 5 compund. And some of them managed to reduce nothing and other -6C less , which is nothing. Other planted 40mm fans on the heatsinks and managed to reduce 10C. And stabilize the temperature to 40C at idle.

Which in my humble opinion is still TOO MUCH TEMPERATURE.

Some others say that ASUS positioned the temperature sensor poorly, too close to the Southbridge.

Others say the tempature sensor is mental

Other say ASUS probe report temps of +250C !!! (Hard to believe right?)

My older board a P5WD2 Premium is at 30C at idle.

So what's the correct answer ASUS customer support?

I'm getting my supposedly new revision P5W DH next week, and somehow I'm already dissapointed. People outside ASUS is trying to solve this problem, but I don't see any words from ASUS on this problem, specially after the Conroe Bios support FIASCO! Sorry but it's true. You cannot advertise something that doesn't work with retail processors.

If this problem still persist on the new revisions, is something I want to know from you, people in the forum.

I want to hear some advice, troubleshooting or solution from ASUS on this particular problem. Even if I still don't have this motherboard in my hand yet, it will geave me some peace of mind.

-What good is to have StackCool 2 in your boards (supposedly a -20C reducer) if the temperature sensor would still show mental and overheating temperatures.

-What use can we have of Asus Probe Utility, if the temperature sensor is showing wrong readings.

-How can you even think of overclocking this board, if you cannot monitor your motherboard temperatures accurately.

-If this is not a temprature sensor issue. but a heatsink design or contact problem. How come you (ASUS) provide cheap and faulty heatsinks and a poor cheap "goo" that doesn't even work well as a decent thermal compound.
 Why do WE have to replace the thermal compund, or get these results on a supposedly "High End" Motherboard Conroe Ready!

Was it to reduce costs? I would have payed $40 $50 $80 extra any day of the week if you provide me with something reliable.

I'm open to any opinion comment or suggestion from the people forums.

I would really like a posted answer from ASUS here in this thread. With some answers or possible solutions. Don't forget that ASUS already got slapped by The Inquirer (http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=33523) on this motherboard already.

No offesnse, but I wouldn't risk being spanked again by the press for providing "already frying" motherboards to hardware enthusiasts and overclockers.

I've been a loyal ASUS customer for 6 years, and I would like some words or advice on this.

So what's going on? Do I have to RMA this board right away and switch to your competitors?

Thank you.

Reply Reply Quote & Reply Quote & Reply
Lewis
Level :
Posted:8/20/2006 3:31:00 PM # 2
I have the same temp problems.  The motherboard is high, but my Core 2 CPU is reported at 50C at idle, right after I boot from cold.

If Asus would just respond I would feel much better that a resolution was coming.

phile
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:8/20/2006 8:14:00 PM # 3

Time to chill. Yes, the mobo temp on this board is higher than one would expect from past experience, and that is due to the sensor's apparent proximity to the ICH7R southbridge. Idle temps have been reported all over the 40C-50C range. Removing the heatsinks caps and replacing the thermal compund with AS5 reduced my initial idle temp from 48C to about 42C. That's not nothing, especially when you take into account that the Intel documentation on the ICH7R states that it can operate properly up until around 100C. As for the 256C reading from the mobo's CPU sensor, that is a bug with Probe II, not the sensor. Take my advice, do not use Probe II, and use something like Everest Ultimare, which fully supports conroe chips. My temp readings with Everest, and every other app besides Probe II, deliver expected results.

To conclude, the P5W DH may have some issues, but I think you've allowed yourself to become a tad hysterical based solely on what you're reading in various forums. I have been using the P5W DH Deluxe for about 2 weeks, now, and this is easily the best board I have ever had. Once your new rig is setup, have a look here:

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=110193

That will help you get the most out of your new P5W DH Deluxe.

-phil

P.S. The stock cooler is garbage. Get yourself a good aftermarket cooler.

Mac
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:8/20/2006 11:04:00 PM # 4
My P5W has been running with the E6600 for almost a week now. As far as temps goes, it is using the stock Intel 775LGA fan. It (PC) is using an Antec case with an extra intake & exhaust fan. (Turning at 1900 RPM)
For monitoring I use SpeedFan 4.29 and Everest Home Edition (1.51)
The drives (2) are Seagate 250 Gig/16-Meg Cache (Perp Data) and do run warmer than previous SATA-I drives I've worked with.

Temps measured.

Speed Fan:
  Temp1 ( Aux )   = 115-F
  Temp2 ( CPU ) =   94-F
  HDO                   = 106-F
  HD1                    = 108-F

Everest Home Edition:
   MB ( Aux )         = 117-F
   CPU                   =   93-F
   Drive-1               = 106-F
   Drive-2               = 106-F

The temps do not vary much with loading, rising just a few degrees.
Sorry for the Farenheit readings - just too "Old"  to use/adapt to Celsius.

SPG
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 3
Posted:8/21/2006 2:27:00 AM # 5
Heh.
1. Sorry for my English
2. If it's OK when MB temp is 47 and up - why then same ASUS PC Probe II is showing me warning messages about high temperature?
3. Why so strange difference in temps when i use warious video-cards and coolers for them:
for example when i used GF6600GT with Silencer6 it showed under load less than 45 degrees for MB,
when i used GF7900GT with stock cooler on it - it showed 52 in idle,
but same GF7900GT but with Silencer6 (which i took from GF600GT - i know 7900GT needs better cooler but what do you know it showes maximum 78 for my 7900gt under full load) - shows now as i type here 47 degrees in idle
WHY OH WHY so big difference just cause Video card and it's cooler?

Asus P5E3 Deluxe WiFI(BIOS 1415), Intel QX9650, 280GTX
Oscar
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:8/21/2006 5:44:00 AM # 6
Good point Smirnov, and it's the same thing I'm trying to say here.

Please, I'm not kind of Hystrical about this. I'm trying to make a point, and that is that some of the features for cooling this motherboard has are plain useless in the current mobo cooling conditions.

- Why Stackcool on this board if the chipset cooling is "bad" or unnacurate?
-Why Q-Fan if indeed this board has bad cooling, could we fry it if we quiet the fans?
- Why gold plated anodized aluminum plates on this board which according to many people they should be removed and trashed because it prevents airflow.
- Why heatpipe, why mosfet thermal adhesive band, if its useless?

I've built systems myself many time and a temp of 42 on idle is far from normal.   These are not temperatures I see on competitor motherboards like the Intel XBX or Abit, which have much lower cooling features, but manage to get lower temperatures than the P5W DH.

Temperatures below 40C on ildle could be somewhat acceptable, but still, this motherbard is advertised to have better cooling than its predecessors.

Still if you manged to reduce temps by removing chipset heatsinks and apply a better thermal compund, doesn't that void Asus warranty?

It's either bad cooling or bad/mislocated temperature sensor, but as a consumer you cannot tell me to just disregard these facts cross my fingers and avoid checking the temps on my system, so if I'm lucky it won't fry (I'm not even thinking of overclocking at this point).

So if Asus tell me tis motherboard is targeted for enthusiast and high-end consumers, advertised as the ultimate cooling/performance motherboard, then they are somehow lying to me. If this is indeed a great innovative cooling system then why didn't Asus make sure of that by testing the motherboard temperatures in the beginning.

There are many many people with chipset temp issues, a very heavy fact in my humble opinion.

I agree, there could be many issues on this board, but cooling is something very important to just forget, specially for high end users and overclockers.

People that say "ahh, don't exagerate" "calm down", has the typical attitude of the consumer that gets "owned" by a corporation in many many ways. It's just masoquistic attitude, just pay for a product and swallow a complete lie.

The oly victims are consumers first who pay for a product that's being falsely advertised. And then the retailers by the enourmous chain of RMA's they would get and are getting because of this fact.

Pazzie
Level :
Posted:8/23/2006 1:36:00 AM # 7
Hi,

Same problem here, i have a P5W deluxe and an E6600. Idle the mobo is 45 and when i play a game or copy alot, the temp goes to 54. I emailed asus support and told me that 54 is too hot. They offered some solutions, like better airflow etc, at the end the said, otherwise bring it back to the store and ask a new one. Its been a month so my store wont give another one. Second all the P5's have heat problems. And its really annoying all the advertising, like for high end users and gamers, new cool techniques blabla. I mean the only solution is to tear off the heat sink and rebuild the mobo? Sorry but i did not spend 224 euros so that i could mod it. And if the sensor is close to the southbridge, why doenst i know that? Im really afraid that something will break. I mean i have 2 gig of ddr2 on the board that costs 210 euro. ANd im not a rich guy. Just saved alot of money to buy this, and now im afraid to even play a game. I have 3 big coolers in my big tower, airflow is oke, other asus boards had temps around 32 degrees celsius, but this on 50 celsius. I really hope that someone from asus tells me what to do. Cant return it to store so i havent got alot of options.

Pazzie
Level :
Posted:8/23/2006 1:59:00 AM # 8
Ow forgot to mention, the temps that the asus probe reports are exactly the same as the temps given by Everest Ultimate. 49 degrees celsius, and im not doing anythings just surfing.

JonStatt
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:8/24/2006 5:22:00 AM # 9
I am hoping the below official response from Asus might make people feel better and put this to bed.

In response to a question asking if it was safe to use my P5W DH with the MB temperature reading around 50 degrees.....

Sir, you can keep using like that , no problem.

The MB-TEMP is for the CPU VRM part's temp,

this area is really hot due to it provide the power to the CPU,

don't worry about that.

CHOCOLADE
Level :
Posted:8/24/2006 3:22:00 PM # 10

Hi,
 Mobo temp? How a so little electonic part gives the température of a great area board? Besure it's impossible and the temperature given by the sensor depend only on the parts arond it.A example my (old) P5N32 SLI with nForce 4 chipset display MOBO temp 29 °C idle ,33°C full but the NB temp is 53°C idle, 60°C ful; SB 43°C idle ,50°C full.. A very hot chipset with a low Mobo temp????iIt's the piece of evidence :mobo temp depend only of the location of the sensor and for me this temp  isn't important.I prefere controlled the NB and SB temp. with a additional digital thermometer the sensors applied directly on the heatsink.The better solution for a good temperature control :a sensor directly in the NB and SB chips,.for the next generation chipset ? I  hope

1 2  Next  Last
Previous Topic:: Next Topic
Feedback for our Website ModeratorModerator: Ulrich New Topic Related FAQ Related FAQ Forum Home Forum Home
Forum Model :
Legal Information | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Contact Us | ASUS Global
  ©ASUSTeK Computer Inc. All rights reserved.