ASUS Support Home Location : Forum > Motherboard > A8N-VM CSM  
  Forum  
  Topic : Onboard Video and Shared Memory Issue New Topic
Para
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 1
Posted:4/2/2006 5:11:00 AM # 1
I tried requesting support from ASUS and received an answer that was somewhat disappointing.

If anyone know why this problem occurs please help.  I'll post what I've wrote in my mail.

[Motherboard Specification]
*Motherboard Revision : A8N-VM CSM-UAYGZ
*Motherboard BIOS Revision : 0403

[VGA Card Specification]
*VGA Card Vendor : ATI, Sapphire
*VGA Card Model : RADEON X550
*VGA Card Chipset : RADEON X550
*VGA Card Driver : ATI Sapphire 8.162.0.0

[CPU Specification]
*CPU Vendor : AMD
*CPU Type : Socket 939
*CPU Speed : 2000mhz

[Memory Specification]
*Memory Vendor : OCZ Technology
*Memory Model : DDRAM Dual Channel
*Memory Capacity : 1024mb

[HDD Specification]
HDD Vendor :
HDD Model :
HDD Capacity :

[Add-on Card Specificatio]
Add-on Card Vendor :
Add-on Card Type :
Add-on Card Model :

*Operating System : WinXP

[Problem Description]
Hello ASUS representitive,

I have two problems that need addressing.

My first problem is related to the hard drive boot priority setting. My OS is located on SATA1. Now I
have other hard drives as well but they are on the IDE channels. If I were to remove or add a new
hard drive (especially when I use HDDs that are installed on a mobile rack which I constantly take in
and out) The boot priority setting always sets my IDE HDD to boot first thus ignoring my SATA1.
Now on the boot priority setting, since it only shows 1 HDD and that HDD gets constantly switched to
the IDE, I have to go into BIOS everytime and change the setting again. This sounds like a bug of
some sort and I was wondering if there was a fix.

My second issue is that for the A8N-VM CSM, it has an onboard video GPU. Unfortunately that GPU
isn't too powerful so I had to buy a new PCIx graphics card. When I have installed my graphics card,
I go into BIOS and disable onboard VGA frame buffer size (setting it to Disabled) so that I do not
share any of my memory to video (since my video card has 256mb of video memory already).
However once I disable the buffer and exit out of bios, saving settings, when my computer boots up
and displays the splash screen (or sometimes none at all), the computer hangs. Now the main issue
is that even with my RADEON graphics card installed, my main memory reports as 960mb. I want to
have the whole 1024mb available to me. The reason I believe why it reports 960mb is that the
onboard VGA frame buffer is set on 64mb (default is 64mb). Now I can't disable the buffer without
having my computer hanging but at the same time I want my full 1024mb.

The interesting point is that my Radeon X550 supports dual monitors so under Device Manager ->
Display Adapters, it lists RADEON X550 and RADEON X550 Secondary. If I were to uninstall (NOT
DISABLE, DISABLE does not work) the Radeon X550 and reboot, my RAM in Windows will report as
1024mb but at the same time Windows will reinstall the RADEON x550 Secondary. Even more
interestingly enough, the next time I reboot my computer, I may either have 960mb or 1024mb of main
memory (I do not know why at the current moment, I haven't been able to fully replicate the problem
by force).

It would be greatly appreciated if you can provide a solution to both of my problems. Thank you in
advance ASUS representitive.

Eric

Reply Reply Quote & Reply Quote & Reply
erik
Level :
Tech Points : 4
Posted:4/2/2006 3:10:00 PM # 2
As to the video-problem:
First of all I would have upgraded to the latest bios 702, yours 403 i very old.
Secondly, you say that after uninstall of radeon, windows will reinstall radeon secondary
at next boot. Seems to me that the uninstall then have not been complete.
Thirdly, take a look at the bios param "chipset/northbridge/vga-option", whats your setting
there ? (maybe "enable" here forces onboard video even if you have the readeon plugged in)

regards
erik   

Athlon 64 3500+ E6, 1024 crucial, 250gb sata II, Zalman TNN300 fanless chassis (heatpipes for passive cooling), Asus 6600GT silent graphics card.
Para
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:4/10/2006 4:43:00 AM # 3
The thing is that when I disabled the shared memory in bios, my computer would automatically stop booting correctly.  Instead it would hang.  Is this issue resolved in the new BIOS updates?

PS:sorry for late response.. almost forgot about this.

Para
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:5/2/2006 8:34:00 AM # 4
*bump*

Sorry but I am still looking for an answer to my issue.  Any help please?
I'm getting ready to upgrade my bios but I do not know if this will resolve my issue.

Oh and yes.. my VCORE is above the spec range too.

Oh and what does S1 and S3 stand for?

erik
Level :
Tech Points : 4
Posted:5/2/2006 8:29:00 PM # 5
I have disabled onboard video, using pci(e) graphics card.  Works fine, and i have 1024 ok. -

Athlon 64 3500+ E6, 1024 crucial, 250gb sata II, Zalman TNN300 fanless chassis (heatpipes for passive cooling), Asus 6600GT silent graphics card.
saurus
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 0
Posted:6/1/2006 10:01:00 AM # 6
By default, the BIOS sets Primary Graphics Adaptor to <IGP-PCIE-PCI> Make sure you set it to <PCIE-PCI-IGP>

kr
Level :
Posted:6/18/2006 1:51:00 PM # 7
hi -

i have a related very frustrating problem in getting a video card other than onboard video to work. i have an asus m2npv-vm mobo. i go into the bio and change the primary boot video to be pci-e. i have a pny verto geforce 7600 gt plugged into the pci-e slot. upon re-booting, and after disabling the onboard video, the onboard video nvedia geforce 6150 does in fact show up with a red "x", disabled as planned. then tho the problem starts - i go to install the drivers for the pny verto geforce 7600 gt and it for some reason seems to only find and install drivers for the onboard 6150! nowhere in the device manager do i see that the 7600 shows up as installed. (the fan runs so it seems to be installed and getting power).

any hints?

thank you.

Dez
Level :
Posted:6/22/2006 2:36:00 PM # 8
Try uninstalling the 6150 drivers first. Reboot if necessary. THEN, disable the 6150. 

Install the 7600 drivers next.

Otherwise, Windoze seems to think you want the 6150 whether you do or not.

Previous Topic:: Next Topic
Feedback for our Website ModeratorModerator: New Topic Related FAQ Related FAQ Forum Home Forum Home
Forum Model :
Legal Information | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Contact Us | ASUS Global
  ©ASUSTeK Computer Inc. All rights reserved.