ASUS Support Home Location : Forum > Graphic Card > EAH4870 Series  
  Forum  
  Topic : [Problem]Power Supply to EAH4870 New Topic
Nhewyt
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 0
Posted:8/4/2008 2:05:00 AM # 1
Ok folks - this is my first build with a really high end graphics card and I have to say that the documentation both on the CD and the included book is WEAK.  The card has TWO 6 pin power connectors and the booklet says "attach 4 pin power connector".  I cannot find anywhere that it tells me which power connector to use, how to use the included 6 pin power cable with the dual molex connectors attached - nothing.

Yes, I'm a little frustrated right now.  I don't want to hook up the power cables wrong and blow up a nearly $300.00 card - does anyone have any clue where the power cables hook up and where it tells you this lovely bit of information.

Thank you,
Nhewyt

Reply Reply Quote & Reply Quote & Reply
gswonsn
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:8/4/2008 9:23:00 AM # 2
Well, the documentation is just wrong. You should plug 2 6-pin PCIe cables into your card. Be sure that your power supply provides enough power to each rail, if you have multiple 12 volt rails. I got my card on Friday and I got to say I am quite impressed. I hope you are when you are up and running.

George

Nhewyt
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:8/4/2008 9:48:00 AM # 3
Thank you George.  There are two 6-8 pin PCI express power cables with my ASUS 850 watt PSU - I plugged them both into the card, leaving the 2 pin separate sections off, of course.  I am guessing that the 2 pin part is separate so you can use the pins as 6 or 8's.

Still waiting for my main HD and 3.0g sata cables to get here so I haven't powered it up yet.
Will let you know how it goes when I do ;-)

My fear is that even at 850 watts I don't have a big enough power supply - I have 2 dvd rw drives, 3 HD, the graphics card, 5 fans including the artic cooler on the intel quad core, 8 gb ram and the mother board is an ASUS Maximus II.  The box for the graphic card says that the minimum system power supply requirement is 550 watts!  They don't tell you that anywhere in the prod description online... sigh.  So I hope I have enough juice to run the whole shebang.

I have high hopes for this system - will be running Poser, DeepPaint, Photoshop, Vue, etc. - it's basically a graphic arts work station, which I'm sure will end up with a game or two on it lol.

Thank you again for your reply - it's just amazing that they have nothing about it in the documentation!

Nhewyt

gswonsn
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:8/4/2008 11:29:00 AM # 4
Some video cards do require the 8 pin PCIe connector such as the ATI 2900XT. You did exactly the correct action in the connections that you made. You should be fine with the 850 watt power supply.

I am using an Antec Quad 850 myself on this system with an Intel Q660 processor overclocked to 3.0 Ghz, 4 Gigs of DDR2 PC-1066 Ram, 7 hard discs, 2 DVD-RW drives, 4 fans, and an ATI TV Wonder 650 card installed and have had no problems. My voltages are very stable and am using on average about 380~400 watts of power.

Let me know how you do when your other parts arrive. Good luck and enjoy your new system.

George

elser
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:8/5/2008 12:11:00 AM # 5

FYI: I'm running 2x EAH4870 with Tagan 2-Force II TG800-U33 (800 W) on Asus Rampage Formula with Q9300 @ 3300 GHZ and 2x2048 GEIL PC2-8500 1066MHz EVO ONE

No stability issues.

Heath
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:8/12/2008 9:37:00 AM # 6

Quote:
Author: Nhewyt Posted: 8/4/2008 9:48:00 AM

Thank you George.  There are two 6-8 pin PCI express power cables with my ASUS 850 watt PSU - I plugged them both into the card, leaving the 2 pin separate sections off, of course.  I am guessing that the 2 pin part is separate so you can use the pins as 6 or 8's.

Still waiting for my main HD and 3.0g sata cables to get here so I haven't powered it up yet.
Will let you know how it goes when I do ;-)

My fear is that even at 850 watts I don't have a big enough power supply - I have 2 dvd rw drives, 3 HD, the graphics card, 5 fans including the artic cooler on the intel quad core, 8 gb ram and the mother board is an ASUS Maximus II.  The box for the graphic card says that the minimum system power supply requirement is 550 watts!  They don't tell you that anywhere in the prod description online... sigh.  So I hope I have enough juice to run the whole shebang.

I have high hopes for this system - will be running Poser, DeepPaint, Photoshop, Vue, etc. - it's basically a graphic arts work station, which I'm sure will end up with a game or two on it lol.

Thank you again for your reply - it's just amazing that they have nothing about it in the documentation!

Nhewyt

I have an..

q6600 core 2 quad 2.4ghz
4 gig ddr3
2 dvdrw
3 hd
10 total fans
hd 4870

ALL OVERCLOCKED

All running on a 550W psu.
I have a Wattage consumption gage that I plug in between your wall outlet and your computer.  My total Max consumption that I have reached is 370W.  I think you are safe with the 850W psu.  Infact, it could hadle 2 cards in crossfire if you wanted.

The crazy part is just to imagine that with a 100W monitor added to that it almost equals 500W, which is like a small window air conditioner!  Ironicly, the temp in my computer room goes up 8 to 12 degrees F. when I play games.

Nhewyt
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:8/31/2008 11:19:00 PM # 7
Well George, I wanted to wait until I ran with the new system a while before giving an opinion.
So far, so good!  XP 64 bit didn't give me half the trouble I expected.  Video card is sweet.
There are a few problems though - first off is that the on board FX sound on the MB just won't work - AND the drivers crash the video card and put me back to 4 bit color once installed???  Don't really need the sound anyway, so not so worried on that front.

But one thing I DON'T like is that the EAH4870 overheats in the time it takes to boot the system up and do a check disk or snoop around the bios - the fan does not come on until I'm logged onto the system and the SmartDoctor loads!!  I thought I had seriously fried my card when my husband powered the system up and walked away from it without logging on - by the time I got to it when SmartDoctor popped up it was screaming a warning at me that I was over heated (70 c) and to contact ASUS.  Fortunately, once the fan was running it was only moments before it had cooled back down...

I'm sure there has to be a setting somewhere in bios to make that fan run during boot up, but I haven't found it yet and don't want to take too long looking for fear of frying the video card.  I just don't understand why it would be set up to NOT run unless the SmartDoctor is on....

Nhewyt

Burns
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 1
Posted:4/5/2009 2:44:00 AM # 8

Quote:
Author: gswonsn Posted: 8/4/2008 9:23:00 AM

Well, the documentation is just wrong. You should plug 2 6-pin PCIe cables into your card. Be sure that your power supply provides enough power to each rail, if you have multiple 12 volt rails. I got my card on Friday and I got to say I am quite impressed. I hope you are when you are up and running.

George

Hello George:
So if I understand your quote right, I need 2 of the power connectors even though Asus only sends 1 in the package???
2nd ?... The connector P/N 14G000602502 where do I get another one at a good price?
3rd ?... The connector is setup with yellow/black/brown/blank. NONE of the molnex outputs from my power supply have that configuration. They are all yellow/black/black/red. Do I need a different Psupply? Or do I need to move the brown down to the red  line?
I am running a Zion 600W ps right now, 2 HD's 1DVD and the MB.
btw: am getting the error msg that 1 of my connectors is not hooked up on my screen at start-up.  I only got this after I moved the brown wire down on the connector to match with the red. Thing is.... I don't want to over-volt the card.
Lame hardware documentation for this card from ASUS!
KB

Nhewyt
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:4/18/2009 10:04:00 PM # 9
Burns - I just used the two 6 pin cables on my PS as they were - mine are the y/k/k/r color combo though.

That said I have to tell you if I had it to do again, I would have sent this card back to ASUS with a nasty letter my first week.  It has been a problem from day one - bad documentation to start out, then find I can't get the fan to spin up on it UNLESS the SmartDoctor software is loaded, and, of course, that doesn't load during a disk check, safemode or while working in the BIOS setup, so the card starts to fry.  I found information that said others were able to solve this by opening the case on the card and hard wiring the fan to the MB, but I don't like that idea and I don't think you should have to do that for a card like this - it should have the ability out of the box.

I have also started to have problems recently where on boot up, the card is not recognized by the system and I have a beautiful 8 bit giant size screen, and, you guessed it, a card whose fan won't spin up.  A quick reboot seems to get the card to be recognized, sometimes 2 reboots.  And then, when it does see it, the SmartDoctor software doesn't want to work correctly at first and you have to play with the settings to get it 'thinking' and then suddenly it starts to work.

The card does do a beautiful job on graphics when it isn't having issues, but I am seriously looking at getting a different card with better documentation and the ability to run the fan without the included software and driveres.

Schuman
Level :
Tech Points : 45
Posted:4/24/2009 7:43:00 PM # 10
The included connector is usually for those who do not have enough of the proper connector type already on the power supply.  If you have two 6-pin PCI-E connectors already, use those.  If you only have one, then you will need to use the adapter to convert some 4-pin connectors into a 6-pin.

Previous Topic:: Next Topic
Feedback for our Website ModeratorModerator: New Topic Related FAQ Related FAQ Forum Home Forum Home
Forum Model :
Legal Information | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Contact Us | ASUS Global
  ©ASUSTeK Computer Inc. All rights reserved.