Join member

ASUS Support Home Location : Forum > Lan/SCSI > PCI-AS300  
  Forum  
  Topic : [Problem]Atheros L1 Gigabit Ethernet New Topic
Gradwin
Level :
Tech Points : 0
Posted:3/21/2008 7:39:00 PM # 1
Hi, it seems there's some serious issue with the Atheros L1 Gigabit Ethernet device because my laptop(Asus G2Sg Notebook) won't boot properly with it enabled, it worked fine for the first 2 days after i got it home then it would not boot unless in safe mode Without networking abilities enabled (if u tried Normal or with Networking it just comes to the windows loading screen then it just stand there barely moving at all or freezing up alltogether).

I tried uninstalling it and installing other versions of the Atheros drivers but none of em worked so I then contacted the support at the local store where i ordered it from and they told me to try and reset to factory settings by pressing F9 during the Asus Logo and not to download anything from Windows Update only via Asus Live Update, and so i did, and it worked fine all yesterday (i could reboot it several times and everything else seemed to work fine) so last night i shut it down, then this morning when i turned it on it gets to the windows loading screen and the same thing happens again...awesome..(im using Windows Vista Ultimate 64bit by the way)

I've checked around the web and apparently theres alot more people than me that has the EXACT same problem with the Atheros L1 Gigabit Ethernet device....so i'm not quite sure what to do now, the store said if the factory reset did not work i should come down on tuesday and return it and they would send it back to the Asus Factory(i assume) and they would have to fix it, how i'm not sure either unless replacing the Atheros card with another brand or something but anyway that's what i'll do come tuesday.

If anyone here has the same problem or a solution to it that would be great although i still think i'd prefer them to change the card completely since this one is apparently causing alot of problems for alot of people so it leads me to think it would eventually screw up again later on...

apparently i have to pick a model number to post this so i just took something random since i don't know the exact model number.

The exact name of the card however is: Atheros L1 Gigabit Ethernet 10/100/1000Base-T Controller (driver version that came with the factory settings and on the driver disc provided by Asus is 2.4.7.4)

Reply Reply Quote & Reply Quote & Reply
FrankTheTank
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:4/9/2008 1:32:00 AM # 2
Hi, I know it's a bit late, but i bought the same Notebook yesterday, the 7th of April 2008. Well i've got the same problem as you, and its really annoying me, because I thought that everything would be okay in a such expensive notebook, but as always there has to be a such a little mistake, that destroys everything! I tried a lot of drivers, for example 2.4.7.10; 2.4.7.11; and some of the older drivers. It seemed, that the newer ones were a bit faster, but with all of them there was this annoying problem of extremely slow booting!
Did you find a solution for this problem?

Greets FrankTheTank

tolisn
Level :
Posted:4/15/2008 2:15:00 AM # 3
Hi.

I have exactly the same problem with the onboard Atheros L1 Gigabit Ethernet found on my Asus M2A-MX motherboard. Apart from the slow booting and after the system would finally boot, the ethernet card kept on loosing the connection
I had to disable the card and use a cheap PCI card. I sure hope that this gets fixed because I need the WOL function and my PCI ethernet card does not support it.

bernhardknapp
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:4/16/2008 10:58:00 PM # 4
Same for my brand new F3SA. This is a real pain in the ass.
Tried XP SP2, same issue .....
Tried System recovery, guess what ......
I wonder why this is not solved since the problem is known for quite a while.

david
Level :
Posted:5/27/2008 4:16:00 PM # 5

Hello Gradwin,

I recently purchased a custom assembled machine (in short...  ASUS M3A mobo using the Atheros L1 gigabit ethernet controller with Microsoft Windows XP Pro SP3).  My problem was very similar.  Upon installing the drivers for the Atheros L1 Gigabit Ethernet 10/100/1000Base-T Controller provided with my mobo from ASUS and rebooting, things went as you have already described.

Hopefully this will be helpful (note:  my setup is not an off-the-shelf product):

1.  I cleared the RTC RAM in the CMOS using the instructions provided in the mobo manual.
2.  disabled the ? netword adapter (the atheros ? item).  It never did show up proper.
3.  downloaded the ATTANSIC L1 Gigabit Ethernet 10/100/1000Base-T controller from
http://www.opendrivers.com/downloaddriverurls.php (Atheros was previously called Attansic, fyi)
4.  updated driver then enabled.
5.  smiled.

After multiple O/S reinstallations and HDD formats which were all unnecessary, this solved my problem.  Took about 15 minutes.  Best of luck.

Bill
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:10/28/2008 7:32:00 AM # 6

David, thanks for the solution to this Attansic L1 issue that was driving me nuts on my P5B-E, too.  I experienced the problem while loading the Atheros drivers in Vista Ultimate on a dual boot system.  Upon rebooting back into XP Pro, which had been working great for many months, my system started hanging up (go figure?) and would only bootup in safe mode.  I fought it for nearly a full day and was about to resort to a cheap PCI network card solution workaround until I saw your post.  In just about 15 minutes start to finish, it also worked perfectly for me, too.  Now, back to the fight trying to get Vista to see the L1 Gigabit adapter...

Raven
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 1
Posted:11/17/2010 9:24:00 AM # 7
Good evening everyone. Usually I'm not one to sign up to too many websites. Those of you who use the Atheros L1 Gigabit Ethernet 10/100/1000Base-T are in luck.  After some troubleshooting myself I found a solution to the issue with this network adapter working with Windows 7 and wanted to share it with you.

1. Go to Start Menu
2. Right-click on Computer, go to Properties.
3. Select Network Adapters.
4. Right-click on your Atheros L1 Gigabit Ethernet 10/100/1000Base-T Controller.
5. Go to Properties and click on the Advanced tab.
6. Select Flow Control and turn it off.

Although I never required it, if the problem persists also select Shutdown wake up and turn it on. After following the above six steps I never had a networking issue since.

Raven
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 1
Posted:11/20/2010 10:09:00 AM # 8
I have to stand corrected. The above method "does" work persay. However your connection still drops when tranferring large amount of data. It also worked for about a week before issues with connectivity began to occur once again Also when say the kids were watching a movie on my Xbox 360 and I tried to surf the web it would drop. Then I surfed the web to find another fix to this pursisting problem. One person posted they had to actually use a different Vista compatible driver to get the adapter to work.

http://pwn3d.com/2009/11/02/atheros-l1-network-adapter-fix-windows-7/

Although they did not provide a link, I did manage to find it.

http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/lan/Atheros/AtherosL1_LAN_v2474.zip

So far I have done some extensive tests with this driver with the Atheros L1 Gigabit Ethernet 10/100/1000Base-T and so far I have no longer experience any issues.

:: Next Topic
Feedback for our Website ModeratorModerator: New Topic Related FAQ Related FAQ Forum Home Forum Home
Forum Model :
Legal Information | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Contact Us | ASUS Global
  ©ASUSTeK Computer Inc. All rights reserved.