ASUS Support Home Location : Forum > Notebook > W2P  
  Forum  
  Topic : Does Anyone Know What This Software Is? New Topic
Mack
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 0
Posted:3/13/2007 7:33:00 AM # 1
Unless I missed something, I can find absolutely no information on some of the software that came with the notebook. What is ASUS Net4Switch? What is ASUS CHK Mail?  What is this security platform that is installed with the notebook?  Why does Live Update not work? What is ASUS Multiframe?  I love this laptop, but I have absolutely no idea what any of these programs can do. When I click on most of them, nothing happens. Anybody know?

Reply Reply Quote & Reply Quote & Reply
Nico
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:3/13/2007 9:40:00 AM # 2
There is no information anywhere about the installed software.
Since nobody knows what they are/do, you can safely uninstall most of them.
Keep these: All the ATK software, the Wireless Console and if you like to format a hidden password protected HDD partition, you may want to keep the TPM.

Asus F3Ja, 2x Kingston KVR667D2S5/1G, Hitachi Travelstar HTS542525K9SA00 250GB
Ezhik
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 2
Posted:3/13/2007 3:08:00 PM # 3
I can answer a couple of your questions:

ASUS Multiframe adds an extra facility on windows that are open on the desktop, look at the top right hand corner, netxt to the 'minimize' tab. It allows to quickly move and resize the window, try it if you won't use it you can uninstall it.

Live update just doesn't work! Remove it.

I also removed Net4Switch.

latief
Level :
Posted:3/13/2007 8:47:00 PM # 4

Quote:
Author: Ezhik Posted: 3/13/2007 3:08:00 PM

I can answer a couple of your questions:

ASUS Multiframe adds an extra facility on windows that are open on the desktop, look at the top right hand corner, netxt to the 'minimize' tab. It allows to quickly move and resize the window, try it if you won't use it you can uninstall it.

Live update just doesn't work! Remove it.

I also removed Net4Switch.
be carefull when using live update, just don't use and uninstall it...some people reported having trouble accessing their bios after updating it using live update.. do all your updates manually, it is easier and safer that way...

Ghirardelli
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:3/29/2007 12:33:00 AM # 5
TPM è un chip che consente di salvare in un 'area protetta del disco files ed informazioni riservate.
Net4Switch crea invece dei profili per connessioni di rete (LAN, Wireless, Bluetooth, ecc.) impostando indirtizzi IP, DNS, stampante preferita, ecc.

DRU
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:6/27/2007 5:38:00 PM # 6

To uninstall the Net4Switch software was a very bad idea on my VISTA system :-(

Since then, I don't have any protocols visible in the network configuration even reinstall of the network driver does not work. Now I get the message, when it does install the network driver, missing of file. Even if I use the original driver from the asus homepage.
The only way to get Network again was using the system restore point.
unfortunately the protocols are now still missing!
Any ideas to get network back working correct would appreciated.

MAKMEDIA.ORG
Level :
Posted:2/12/2008 2:22:00 PM # 7
HOLD.....STOP! wait a minute...nobody needs to go uninstalling anything. unless your hardrive is so small or junked up that you need the few extra megs of space, but then you have other issues and should consider getting extra storage or perhaps uninstalling a few gigs of  songs/programs/themes/screensavers that you've accumulated. Almost every program and/or service on your Asus can simply be 'disabled'.

Simply go to your start menu and in that little input box (on Vista its the 'search' box. On XP click the 'Run' button) then type in 'msconfig'. on Vista you'll have to click the 'msconfig.exe' shortcut that appears after typing 'msconfig' into the search box. On XP I believe it opens automatically. This will open the 'System Configuration menu. From there you can disable services and other programs that execute when you start your computer. Many of them can be disabled safely without any problems. This will not uninstall them, nor will it disable them indefinately. And it will not affect anything in your BIOS. If you're unsure about something, Google it.

note: this only disables things from starting up when you reboot windows. some programs/services may start up automatically later if OS or another 3rd party program calls for them, but will once again be disabled upon a reboot.

-agent M

The ability to Research and learn is a skill beyond all.
Kirktis
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:3/28/2008 8:34:00 PM # 8
The question however; is why would you keep any of this useless stuff on your drive? Especially since if you ever really want it, it is available both on your discs that came with the computer, as well as easily retrievable from the ASUS public FTP sites? I don't know about you, but my opinion is that the fewer useless and/or unused things on my system, the more space I have, and the less chance something will break or be victim to some obscure exploit. But maybe that's just a bad habit I picked up from all those Computer Science classes.

Duke
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 1
Posted:9/9/2009 6:08:00 AM # 9
Here's info on the product: http://dlsvr01.asus.com/pub/ASUS/nb/A8E/ASUS_Net4Switch_UserGuide_XP_EN_V1.pdf

Previous Topic:: Next Topic
Feedback for our Website ModeratorModerator: MCZ New Topic Related FAQ Related FAQ Forum Home Forum Home
Forum Model :
Legal Information | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Contact Us | ASUS Global
  ©ASUSTeK Computer Inc. All rights reserved.