SEARCH
ASUS Member ID
Password
Forgot password?
Join member

ASUS Support Home Location : Forum > Notebook > N61Jv  
  Forum  
  Topic : [Problem]Running "old" games (like Fallout 3) with Nvidia Optimus New Topic
Basil
Level :
Tech Points : 2
Posted:4/13/2010 5:37:00 AM # 1
Hello,

I'm trying to play my Fallout3 game on the N61Jv laptop but it crashes whenever I try to start a New Game.

I've downloaded the latest graphic drivers from Intel (version 8.15.10.2104) and Nvidia Optimus (version 8.16.11.8942). Still doesn't work.

I have completely uninstalled FFDshow, uninstalled any Asus-related softwares, patched the game to version 1.7, set Windows 7 to run in Basic theme (without Aero), reinstalled the game, run fallout3.exe in different compatibility modes as Administrator and to play by setting the lowest graphic options, still no success ! In the Nvidia Control Panel, I checked to run the game using the nvidia card but Fallout will only recognize the Intel graphic card. Bethesda Studio official forum said their game won't support Intel IGP from notebooks because they lack the ability to use the required Shader Model package... Come on, how come my new laptop cannot play this best-seller game from 2008 ?

I saw people ("yserius" ?) here to mention Fallout 3, has anyone managed to make it run on any laptop featuring the Nvidia Optimus technology ?

Reply Reply Quote & Reply Quote & Reply
black_dog
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 3
Posted:5/4/2010 8:09:00 PM # 2
having the same probs bro. i even tried to disable the intel display driver but everything went black and when i rebooted (5 sec press) it was there again. looks like it's written in the nvidia driver and i'm not geeky or bored enough to get into the registry. but i'm getting close to being desperate enough becuase i never did finish the game

black_dog
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:5/6/2010 7:02:00 AM # 3
i contacted the tech support line and they tell me it can be done but you need to download directX 'redistributable' http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/resultsForProduct.aspx?displaylang=en&productID=9C954C37-1ED1-4846-8A7D-85FC422D1388 then get nvidia driver v1.89 they told me they would email instructions but that was 2 days ago so i am going to call back for confirmation

Suzanne
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:5/6/2010 8:30:00 AM # 4
have you tried downloading XP in virtual mode?  I believe it is free.  I upgraded to Professional but the games still have to be played in XP virtual mode.

Basil
Level :
Posted:5/15/2010 10:25:00 PM # 5

Quote:
Author: Suzanne Posted: 5/6/2010 8:30:00 AM

have you tried downloading XP in virtual mode?  I believe it is free.  I upgraded to Professional but the games still have to be played in XP virtual mode.

Hello Suzanne

Thanks for your suggestions but I cannot try it because "XP Mode" is not available for Windows 7 Premium. It requires at least Windows 7 Professional.
Anyway, you can see Fallout 3 running correctly on Windows 7 with PCs which have only one dedicated graphic card from ATI or NVIDIA (just search for Fallout 3 videos in YouTube). So I don't think it is a Windows 7 issue but more probably a driver issue not able to ensure game compatibility...

Basil
Level :
Posted:5/15/2010 10:26:00 PM # 6

Quote:
Author: black_dog Posted: 5/6/2010 7:02:00 AM

i contacted the tech support line and they tell me it can be done but you need to download directX 'redistributable' http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/resultsForProduct.aspx?displaylang=en&productID=9C954C37-1ED1-4846-8A7D-85FC422D1388 then get nvidia driver v1.89 they told me they would email instructions but that was 2 days ago so i am going to call back for confirmation

Hi black_dog

any success ?

Highfade
Level :
Tech Points : 1
Posted:5/16/2010 2:15:00 AM # 7
I also have the same problem. Hoping for a solution soon

Adrian

black_dog
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:5/18/2010 11:21:00 AM # 8
no success as yet but i think i have the cause isolated to the program requiring the disk to change video config via 'Fallout Launcher'. I tried changing boot options to GPU manually but the GPU LED would change from blue to white as launcher booted instead of staying on white. i even copied the entire disk to hard drive but no luck.

the game will boot with GPU (White LED) but because the setup writes the prefferences.ini to 'Intel(R) garphics' it won't run past the main menu.

i tried changing the preferences .ini file manually to the NVIDIA GPU but the game just asked for disk 1 and the launcher which caused the same problem. no GPU in 'Options'

currently going through a few things with asus tech support but no joy so far. i'm considering returning the computer as the problem is not limitted to Fallout 3 with the common denominator being this optimus feature.

I also tried running in 'XP mode' via virtual machine but the virtual GPU couldn't handle the game. If there is a way to make that happen (there's not apparently) we could have a goer.

rgds

BD

black_dog
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:5/21/2010 8:01:00 AM # 9
final word from nvidia via their driver support:

Hi Cory,
Thanks for getting a hold of us. We are aware of this game issue with the Optimus based laptop. As soon as we have a fix from the investigation, it'll be posted in our future driver update.
Our apology for the inconvenience.

Best regards,
David

--------

to which i replied:

ok thanks.

any idea on delivery of the new driver?

--------------
to which they replied:

Hi Cory,
Sorry. The goal is to release a driver every quarter. Due to the logistics involve with software development, frankly its hard to give you an exact date. But if you want, you can check back in several months and just reference this case number.

Thanks,

-David

-------

so i told them i'll be returning my laptop.

rgds

BD

Basil
Level :
Posted:5/22/2010 2:12:00 AM # 10
Hi Cory

At least Nvidia will do something about it ;-) It's good you told them you will return your laptop so they can (somehow) understand the gravity of their consumers' concerns but I do hope you won't go ahead with such an extreme...

You know when I bought this laptop, I was quite disappointed with the performance of the Beta version of StarCraft II, but few weeks later Nvidia released yet another driver version, but this latest one was specifically meant to improve this game's performance/gameplay. I thought the gain would not be very visible anyway... Well, listen, against my expectations, after this new Optimus driver installation, I can use (to have previously a playable gameplay) from only "Low" graphical settings to "Ultra" settings, while still keeping the same gameplay ! 8-)

The N61 is the very first laptop using this new Nvidia technology, let's wait a few months for the gpu drivers to be more mature and I'm sure we'll be rewarded with wonders :-) 27th of July I'm going to the game retailer to buy StarCraft II. Only then, I will make my final judgment regarding my laptop purchase.

Nevertheless, I still regret the premature Asus/Nvidia marriage ! I thought Asus was a good manufacturer for gamers but there are so many games not recognizing the right high-end GPU, even when being specifically customized/chosen in the Nvidia Control Panel... What the point to have such a laptop configuration if we are left with playing some games on the Intel igp chipset ? :-( But at the end of the day, I don't regret so much because I've got my laptop for a good deal anyway ;-)

Basil

1 2  Next  Last
Previous Topic:: Next Topic
Feedback for our Website ModeratorModerator: MCZ New Topic Related FAQ Related FAQ Forum Home Forum Home
Forum Model :
Legal Information | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Contact Us | ASUS Global
  ©ASUSTeK Computer Inc. All rights reserved.