Forum  
  Topic : [Problem]Laptop Freezes Randomly New Topic
Antczak
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 1
Posted:4/21/2009 8:01:00 PM # 1
Hi everyone,

so I have an ASUS M50SV, great laptop, though in the last few weeks I seem to have a weird problem. While running Vista the computer just freezes completely, and I have the power to click on start once and then the whole thing doesnt react to anything anymore.
The only that is left is to restart the computer manually...

The weird thing is, that this mostly happens when I do a HDD intensive task, like copying from one place to another, or if I use excel for example and try to use copy and paste.

First I thought maybe its the hard drive, and I checked that using many different tests, but that is fine, then I though I'll check the RAM memory... and apparently that is fine as well, although I know that the RAM check utilities no matter how good they are, not always find the error. So I am not really sure what is happening.

Anybody have any other idea I could try?

Thx
Phil

Reply Reply Quote & Reply Quote & Reply
Willy
Level :
Tech Points : 3969
Posted:4/22/2009 3:40:00 PM # 2

Perhaps, the problem is from the incompatibility of certain software programs, virus, or some unknown factors.

Use the hidden partition, reserved for recovery purpose, in the hard disk to restore your computer to the factory settings.  Backup your personal data first.

Restart your computer.  Press F9 key immediately when the ASUS logo appears.  This will start the recovery procedure, including the installation of all the drivers and utilities.  Follow the instructions.  Your computer will be restored to the factory settings, and the problem will be solved.

Good luck!!

Bascotie
Level :
Tech Points : 36
Posted:4/27/2009 9:38:00 AM # 3
Dunno if it'll help, I actually have an M51Ta-X1 and I was having freezing problems recently.

I noticed them after a bios upgrade, if you've done then maybe downgrade your bios. If not then see if there is a bios upgrade. Also the only other thing that it may have been was that in the bios theres an option of "Native mode" or "AHCI" and I think the AHCI hard drive feature could be causing problems. I didnt test it out too long im using Windows 7 now that the 3650 works.

Kenneth
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 61
Posted:4/27/2009 2:09:00 PM # 4
Hi Antczak,

There have been so many discussions about ASUS laptops freezing... there are also so many different causes. 

1.  Have you tried updating your drivers?  There was a thread here somewhere specifically about updating your bios firmware as well which has solved the freezing problem.
2.  This was the scenario that happened to me, bad memory chips.  Try using 1 memory chip only (if you have 2 installed) and see if the hanging or freezing goes away.  If you only have 1 memory chip, try to borrow/source another one to test with.  My problem went away after the memory chips were replaced.
3.  Overheating.... have you tried installing temperature monitoring software?  If not yet, try downloading software like Notebook Hardware Control and check out your temps.

I'm not particularly sure if any one of those solutions will help you but they're worth a try.  Also, I think you didn't mention when you started encountering those problems.... did you change something in your laptop?  or did you update any drivers?

Hope this helps,

Kenneth

Antczak
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:4/30/2009 3:35:00 AM # 5
Hi all of you,

thanks for all of your comments.
Well the problem is that I cannot reproduce the problem, but it just suddenly happens.
In terms of bad memory chips I have run memtest using the extended settings for quite some time and they didnt fail.
I have now checked the hard drive using Seatools, and first everything looked fine, all the short test ran with no problem.
Though when I run the long tests, they all fail, problem with Seatools is, I cannot see the details of what and when failed.
Driver wise I am up to date with all of them, and I dont think its a driver issue.
The fuller my hard drive the more likely it is that the computer hangs.

So I am thinking its the hard drive itself.
What do you guys think?

sham
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:5/9/2011 12:05:00 AM # 6

Quote:
Author: Antczak Posted: 4/30/2009 3:35:00 AM

Hi all of you,

thanks for all of your comments.
Well the problem is that I cannot reproduce the problem, but it just suddenly happens.
In terms of bad memory chips I have run memtest using the extended settings for quite some time and they didnt fail.
I have now checked the hard drive using Seatools, and first everything looked fine, all the short test ran with no problem.
Though when I run the long tests, they all fail, problem with Seatools is, I cannot see the details of what and when failed.
Driver wise I am up to date with all of them, and I dont think its a driver issue.
The fuller my hard drive the more likely it is that the computer hangs.

So I am thinking its the hard drive itself.
What do you guys think?

Hi, Have u solved your problem? What is the cause? I purchased my ASUS U41JF-WO134V about 2 months ago. So far no problem except it always "freeze" when I leave it 'ON' for a few hours or during I using my ASUS. It not happen everyday but after 3 to 4 days or 5 days and keep repeating. Recently it happen almost everyday. It "freeze" even I not open any program. I cannot use even task manager (CTRL + ALT + DLT), curser not move and etc. To solve the problem, I need to force shutdown. I saw a few thread regarding this problem, but no solution yet. Anyone experience this before with ASUS U41JF-WO134V or any ASUS model? Is it because any special function ASUS have ( need to set). How to solve this problem? I sent email to ASUS centre, they ask me to do a few setting, such as set power setting to high performance, update bios and etc. but freeze problem still happen. I'm quit pissed off when doing my work, it freeze!!! Other application, I'm happy

Posted:6/14/2011 2:47:00 PM # 7
is it just me or the notebook forum is gone... =S anyway i have the exact problem with my N53J which i just bought a few months back too! arghh its so frustrating...

Previous Topic:: Next Topic
Feedback for our Website ModeratorModerator: MCZ New Topic Related FAQ Related FAQ Forum Home Forum Home
Forum Model :
Legal Information | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Contact Us | ASUS Global
  ©ASUSTeK Computer Inc. All rights reserved.