ASUS Support Home Location : Forum > Notebook > G60Vx  
  Forum  
  Topic : [Problem]Video card driver Nvidia GTX 260M on G60VX New Topic
Davis
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 7
Posted:1/31/2010 5:14:00 PM # 1
Hi,Ok let me first say I have the G60VX laptop ,it has the GTX 260M 1gb DDR3 video card,here is my problem every once in a while while I am playing L4D2 online the game will suddenly stall and start making this loud sound (sort of a loud beeping ,where the sound got cut off in the game)  it will keep doing this until I close the game in the task manager . There have been a few time when after a couple of minutes the game came back on and no problems. that is say maybe 20% out of the time it happens the other 80% I must shut it down and restart the game..
Ok so I thought it might be just a driver problem,I went to the ASUS website and got the drivers off there,what I noticed it that driver was on there before I bought my laptop.
  Then I went to the Nvadia website and found this
http://www.nvidia.com/object/win7_winvista_64bit_196.21_whql.html
So I went and tried to install the drivers and this is the message I got
"The Nvadia setup program could not locate any drivers that are compatible with your current hardware,setup will now exit"

Ok here are my questions ,why has ASUS not made any newer drivers ? Second How do I get rid of that game crash crap I am having a problem with? Is this something that is wrong with the video card it self??
Any help would be great ,you can post here or email me at GodzillaRex@att.net.

Reply Reply Quote & Reply Quote & Reply
Kimo
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 217
Posted:2/1/2010 10:17:00 PM # 2
The link you provided is for the Nvidia desktop drivers (GTX 260m is not the same GPU as GTX 260).  The latest laptop drivers are here (version 195.62).  That's what I am running, and it works fine.  Almost every manufacturer lags behind the official drivers...they don't retest every system with every new driver version, they just post the last one they know works.

You might also want to make sure you are using a good laptop cooler while gaming, and install HWMonitor to check temperatures.  You may be overheating.

Davis
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:2/5/2010 10:50:00 AM # 3
Hi Kimo
I went and got the drivers and installed them,I have not tried out the gaming yet,I work during the day and school at night so I have to wait until this weekend.
  I do use a laptop cooler ,it has 2 fans  on it. It is one of the better ones best buy sells.
I will see what happenes with the drivers first.

mrvirginia
Level :
Tech Points : 1
Posted:3/20/2010 3:11:00 AM # 4
has anyone gotten any drivers for this card to work past the 195.xx??
i've been to laptopvideo2go and tried a few but i kept getting a BSOD.  we really need new drivers.  i can't play some recent games :/

Davis
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:3/24/2010 12:18:00 PM # 5
I have not gottten any past the 195 from the Nvadia web site,it appears that getting that driver has solved my problem I had and the games have worked ok,I have never gotten the BSOD ,that makes me think you may have video card problems

RagingCain
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 53
Posted:3/24/2010 8:49:00 PM # 6
It could be a bad card, it could be improper placement of the cooling heat-sink on the GPU, it could be Sleep mode and nvidia drivers conflicting, it could be the Memory having errors, the CPU might not be sitting right etc. What you need to do, is try playing a game, use a program called HWMonitor and leave it running while playing a game to check your temperatures. Then we can go from there.

Caixeta
Level :
Tech Points : 2
Posted:5/18/2010 2:32:00 PM # 7
The last NVidia driver for GTX 260M is 197.16. http://www.nvidia.com/object/notebook_winvista_win7_x64_197.16_whql.html I'm using this one and it's working perfectly. What do you mean most recent games? I can play GTA IV, Dirt2, CODMW2. Never saw a game that doesn't work on it. How far the temp reaches on your GPU? Use Realtemp. You can play the game, then you close and you see the higher temperature your GPU reaches.

Welch
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 5
Posted:7/15/2010 1:18:00 PM # 8
This is kind of a late reply, but maybe this will be of use to others searching the forums. :-)

I had a bit of trouble updating my nvidia drivers recently, too; but finally managed to install the latest release (186.40 I believe) found here on the ASUS support site. I didn't want to do that, but it was still a newer driver than the one installed out-of-the-box.

Yesterday, however, I decided to try installing 196.62 again and this time it worked... don't ask me what the difference was, 'cause I don't have a clue. :-D

Other than being a newer, supposedly "better," driver; the most important property of 196.62 is it's ability to actively "down-clock" on its own when you're working in 2D. 186.40 doesn't do that on it's own on a G60Vx, not for me anyways.

Right now, GPU-Z is reporting:
                 GPU Core Clock - 200mhz (instead of 500mhz)
                 GPU Memory Clock - 119.6 (instead of 799.2mhz)
                 GPU Shader Clock - 400mhz (instead of 1250mhz)

If you're wondering why I want my graphics card to reduce its capabilities, it's the idle/load temps (and power consumption while running on battery power) that I'm most concerned with. With the driver found on the asus site, my GPU temperature would hover around 65 degrees (C), even when I wasn't using my laptop.  Right now, GPU-Z is reporting a steady 55 degrees (C), and I've got several programs/windows going.

A lower temperature almost guarantees your GPU will live a long and happy life. ;-) Of course, as soon as I boot up one of my favorite games, the 196.62 drivers switch the GPU back to full-power.

If your drivers don't under-clock on their own, you should definitely switch... unless, of course, you're using your current drivers for a reason. If you want yours to down-clock on their own, but don't want to switch, there are ways to do this; I haven't done this myself, so all I can say is google it, or search the forums at notebookreview.com or similar sites.

P.S. I think 186.82 and 197.45 down-clock/under-clock on their own as well. I'm also told 197.45 yields higher benchmark scores than 186.82, but runs a little hotter.  I haven't tried either of them, so I'm just passing on hearsay.

Previous Topic:: Next Topic
Feedback for our Website ModeratorModerator: MCZ New Topic Related FAQ Related FAQ Forum Home Forum Home
Forum Model :
Legal Information | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Contact Us | ASUS Global
  ©ASUSTeK Computer Inc. All rights reserved.