SEARCH
ASUS Member ID
Password
Forgot password?
Join member

ASUS Support Home Location : Forum > Notebook > G51VX(BestBuy)  
  Forum  
  Topic : [Problem]Wireless "flapping" connection New Topic
marti102
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 2
Posted:8/3/2009 5:34:00 AM # 1
Hello. I'm having problems with my wireless connection NOT staying on. My wireless always says it is connected and has a strong connection but any web browser I use (Explorer, Firefox, Opera) says it can't access the internet. Then I try it again a few minutes later and it works! Its on and off. I can 'force' the connection by manually disconnecting then reconnecting the wireless connection (using the Vista wireless networking tool) but this gets really irritating really fast especially when it only works for a few minutes each time I do this manual reset. Very weird. I tried to configure my router/gateway but that still doesn't work. There are 2 other laptops in the house that connect to the internet all the time with no problems. One laptop runs XP and the other also runs Vista and they don't have the same problems I have with my ASUS. So I don't think it is my router or wireless service. Why only with my asus notebook and not the others? Any suggestions?

Reply Reply Quote & Reply Quote & Reply
Everhart
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 40
Posted:8/4/2009 1:08:00 AM # 2

I had this same problem with this model and a Linksys wireless G router.  I replaced my wireless router with a Belkin N and now it doesn't seem to be happening anymore.

marti102
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:8/8/2009 1:50:00 PM # 3
I have some weird gateway that was supplied by my ISP. I have AT&T. Well thanks for the post. I'll check it out.

Flam-Effect
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 1
Posted:8/29/2009 12:49:00 PM # 4

Hey, I have the same deal going on. Drops off, then connects, hit and miss. I have a XP and Vista 32 bit that work fine. Also a netflix Roku box. Never drops off. I have chatted with support and they think its the router. But how since this is the only computer that has the problem?

Im using a Linksys WRT54G router. What do you have?
I tried new WIFI drivers, (ASUS and Intell), new router firmware, changing channels.  nothing.

I had a WEP security on the wireless, then changed it to WPA. seams to help a bit.

NEED HELP BAD!

ptkazi
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:9/8/2009 4:28:00 AM # 5

I also have a wireless problem. Mine is slightly different. Have similar Linksys router, but I lose connection when coming out of hibernation or sleep. Sometimes I lose the connection at other times, but not often.

The Intel WiFi Dianogtics tools sometimes shows the DHCP process fails and other time is show the everything working just fine, but still can't access the internet.

Any other advise besides buying a new router. My router works with the other machines just fine.

Brown
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:9/8/2009 9:12:00 AM # 6
I have the asus g51 from best buy and am having the very same issues with my att uverse modem/router.  after two days of trial and error i found the solution.  goto the intel website and download the latest driver.  It was updated in may of 09, i bought this computer on 5 september... thought it would have the latest drivers, but it did not.  Works like a charm now!

I have the Intel Wifi Link 5100 AGN, the new diriver is version 12.4.3.9  - 5/28/2009
download for free on the intel site

I hope this helps, I almost returned the computer...

ptkazi
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:9/9/2009 10:44:00 AM # 7
I'll have to download the intel driver. Thanks.

I was able to get the wireless to work much better. For me, I had to switch to the WPA2 authentication instead of WEP and now works like a charm with Linksys WRT54GS. Much faster conection to wireless.

Of course, I pluged in a headphones for the first time and now my speakers don't work at all. Removed and re-installed the audio drivers and no luck so far. Anyway, this goes on another forum thread.

Graziano
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 3
Posted:9/15/2009 9:00:00 PM # 8
Thanks Brown...so far, so good *crossing my fingers*

It was such an annoyance I had to keep restarting...

Wasted
Level :
Posted:2/22/2010 1:02:00 AM # 9
I used to work in IT so I've kept track of most the things that I have done to try to resolve this issue. I apologize in advance for the length of this post. If its too long and you don't want all the details, skip to the bottom of it and there is a summarized version. I just want to be thorough. I had given up hope a a few months ago. I had simply just accepted the fact that I have to hit refresh every 15 pages or so. :'( Then I found this posting that I somehow missed back then and had to try one last forum. With that all said, here we go.

I have already tried the newest Intel driver. I have also tried the newest driver from ASUS with no luck. Multiple times for both drivers actually, just in case the driver DL's corrupted during the transfer.

I have also tried the diagnostics program from Intel with no luck on that. It almost always says everything is fine, even when the current web browser isn't working. The few times it failed it did so on the ping test and said the DHCP server was unavailable, couldn't be reached, failed to respond, or something like that I'm sure(my shorthand simply says, "serv unavail"). Then when I ran it again, literally as soon as the failed one finished, it would say everything was fine again, sometimes even when the browser still wasn't working yet. If I can get the tool to fail again, I'll post the exact wording on here.

I have only tried v7 of IE on the G51VX as that's what I was using at work when I bought the laptop. I have since switched to Chrome and I have also tested Firefox, Opera, and Safari for this issue. All have the same problem.

As someone else has done here on this forum, I too changed from WEP to WPA2. This has only slightly alleviated the issue for me as well. On a side note, I switched due to security concerns not as an attempted solution to this issue and so I setup MAC filtering at the same time. I don't think that it is the cause of this issue as the issue was present before the filtering was setup. But as I said, I'm being thorough.

I have tried three different wireless routers. A 100$(retail price, not what I actually paid) TRENDnet ABG model that got great ratings at the time of purchase and came absolutely loaded with features. It has since been re-purposed to my cousin's house as I no longer host my own server and/or website. I'd put up the model number now if he'd answer his phone, but if you want to know it let me know and I'll get back to you. Second was the Linksys G model, WRT54GS, which is the same one that is working for ptkazi. That one I tested at my mom's house on a different ISP, Comcast. Finally, the third one was/is a P.O.S. that Qwest(my home ISP) gave me. I only call it a P.O.S. because of its lack of features. It's a 2wire model. I'll have to move the ceiling panels downstairs if you want the exact model, but like the first router let me know. On all 3 of these, I have also had my old laptop connected via WiFi at the same time for testing/data gathering. On the old laptop I had executed a ping -t *.*.*.* and then started browsing around on the G51VX. The *.*.*.* being the DHCP Server gathered from an ipconfig /all. After many wasted nights of my young life, I was finally able to get the diagnostic tool to fail on all 3 routers while I was collecting the data on the old laptop. As you all may have already guessed, the ping on the old laptop never failed or delayed. All ping times were less than or equal to 1ms. The only router related variable I didn't test was using a wireless N model. Also, we have 2 360's, a PS3, a Wii, and 3 laptops(my 2 and my roommates) all connected via WiFi and only the G51VX has this problem.

Now for some new intriguing info that I haven't seen anyone post anywhere yet. The majority of the time I have some form of torrent DL running. Even during the few times that the diagnostic tool failed, I never lost my connection. This prompted me to try one other thing, run the same ping test as I did above, but do it from the G51VX. Then I got even more confused. Why you ask? Because even when the browser and the tool would fail, my command prompt window that was running the ping command wouldn't. It still maintained a less than or equal to 1ms response time.

Then I thought maybe the G51VX had issues handling too many connection requests, what with the torrents, the virus protection software, the ASUS updater, Windows Update(granted this only ran at 3am), and the browser? That's a few at once but still it should be able to handle it. So I executed 35 different ping -t's to my current DHCP server address. I had to hook up through the HDMI to the 50 inch big screen just to be able to see them all. The response times were all still less than or equal to 1ms. However, this time there were allot more pings that were equal to 1ms than the last time but still no failures.

So then I got an idea thats pretty strange. I thought maybe it was still having problems with too many requests, but the pings didn't show it because for some strange reason it was giving the smaller packets priority and that was why the pings weren't failing. So I killed the first 35, started another batch and increased the packet size this time, ALLOT!! I don't have a size written down, just the word "BIG" super-sized on the paper so I would assume that I made them as big as I could until either windows said no or the router thought it was an attack. Anyways, response times went up as I expected, but no failures.

Maybe it was having issues with requests all trying to go out at the same time on different ports I though next. And so I stopped the the second batch and did yet another 35 at the increased packet size, only this time, I sent them all at different ports just to really try to confuse it. My notes just say different ports so I am forced to make yet another assumption that I simply used whatever ones were open and not being blocked by the routers. Again it handled with no problem, slightly slower times than the last batch but still no failures.

All other ideas exhausted, I closed out the last of the DHCP server ping windows and started preparing a final round. This time I was going to ping actual web sites. I first had to find some that still reply to ping's, you'd be amazed at what you'd find. Facebook, Myspace, Tigerdirect, Bestbuy, and Google just to name a few of the bigger companies that I used. So I fired up the pings with large packet sizes(pretty sure I only did like 10-15 of these) and started surfin the net. The ports were not specified for this batch. About a 20-30 minutes later I got a text that someone added me on Facebook. As I was going to load the main page, it happened again. I looked up at the TV and found the window that was pinging Facebook. Not only did it never fail, but it never even slowed down when the browser lost connection.

AHHHHHHHH!!!!!! I'm so at a loss right now. After all my troubleshooting and testing, I have still come up empty handed. So, just to summarize: neither manufactures' driver worked, the diagnostic tool appears to be unable to detect either the actual cause of the problem or if it is even currently a problem, I have tried multiple browsers, I have switched from WEP to WPA2 w/ MAC filtering, I have tried multiple routers of different brands and levels of functionality EXCEPT FOR TYPE "N", and this issue appears to only be affecting the web browser's connection as everything else never looses its connection even when that connection is to the same server as the web browser.

If anyone has any ideas that I haven't tried, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE let me know. This is driving me nuts!!!

Appreciate the help,
Wasted

Papa Midnight
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 224
Posted:5/15/2010 5:49:00 AM # 10
Broadcom and Intel Wireless devices do not play well together. I have 3 AP's in my house, 2 Linksys WRT54GS', and a Netgear WGT624 (horrible router but half-decent AP). Intel's 5100 works great with the Netgear, but leaves something to be desired with the Linksys devices which all run on Broadcom chipsets. In my personal opinion, broadcom is the better chipset for wireless devices, but this is just the way things played out. This has been a known issue for years, though compatibility was never truly improved.

1 2  Next  Last
Previous Topic:: Next Topic
Feedback for our Website ModeratorModerator: MCZ New Topic Related FAQ Related FAQ Forum Home Forum Home
Forum Model :
Legal Information | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Contact Us | ASUS Global
  ©ASUSTeK Computer Inc. All rights reserved.