Join member

ASUS Support Home Location : Forum > Notebook > G51Jx  
  Forum  
  Topic : [Problem]Replacing Drive with SSD Drive New Topic
MJS
Level :
Tech Points : 2
Posted:4/29/2010 7:47:00 AM # 1
I bought a G51Jx and a Corsair 256GB SSD drive and when I install it, the computer will not get past a blinking underline cursor at the top left.  If I remove the SSD drive, it boots fine from the DVD or USB device with no hard drive. As soon as I connect the SSD drive, it will not get past the blinking cursor after selecting either DVD or USB device as a boot device.  I have tested the drive in another computer and it works fine.  I just want to do a clean install of Win7 on the SSD, but this notebook computer does not seem to like it?  Any help would be appreciated or both are going back.

Reply Reply Quote & Reply Quote & Reply
DE
Level :
Tech Points : 35
Posted:4/30/2010 6:42:00 AM # 2
I assume everything works well with the hard drive that came in the computer.  I suspect there might be a problem with the SSD media being recognized.

With the SSD in the computer turn it on but before your computer boots, use the BIOS setup key and go into BIOS.  On the first screen it should list the drives.  See if the drive is recognized by the computer.  If the drive works on your other computer, it should be seen by the laptop.  If not, you've probably got a faulty connection somewhere.

If you plan to use the original drive as a backup drive, you'll need a USB external enclosure for it.  If you have such an enclosure, I'd try this.

Put the SSD in the external enclosure.  Boot the computer from the hard disk.  Plug in the USB enclosure, with the SSD in it, to the USB port on the running computer.

Download and install a partition manager such as Partition Wizard (free).  With the partition manager have a look at the partition(s) on the SSD.   You should be able to tell if it looks OK, you can see if it is formatted, you can format it if necessary.  Next see if Windows recognizes the SSD in the USB enclosure with a drive letter. If Windows recognizes the drive, it is formatted and partitioned.  If not, then either there is something wrong with the drive, or it is formatted for something other than Windows, either of which could cause the problem you describe.  If your other computer is a Windows machine, and if you can copy files to and from the SSD, then the SSD is probably OK, formatted and partitioned.

If the drive is seen by the partition manager, remove any existing partition on the SSD and then copy the hard drive C: partition to the SSD.  You can  size the copied partition to the capacity of the target SSD drive.  Set the properties of the copied partition on the SSD drive to primary and set it to active.

If everything goes as described, remove the SSD from the enclosure and put it back into the computer.  It should boot from the SSD.  Once you have it up and booting, you can do your clean install if you want.

If things don't go well, post a message here with details and we'll see if there's something you can do.

David

MJS
Level :
Posted:4/30/2010 11:15:00 PM # 3
Thanks for replying. The BIOS does see the drive, but the computer hangs regardless of which device I choose to boot from (DVD, USB) as long as the SSD is connected. The drive that came with the computer works fine. The SSD drive does get recognized by another computer and is able to be written to. I have a USB boot of Clonezilla that works with the ASUS, but only if the SSD is not installed (because the computer hangs when it goes to boot from the USB with the SSD attached.) I was able to use this USB to clone the original drive. As a last resort, I tried to do a clean install with Win7 DVD but again, it hangs and won't boot from any device with the SSD installed. Could it be a bios upgrade issue? To me, this seems fairly straight forward.

DE
Level :
Posted:5/2/2010 4:11:00 AM # 4
Forget all those steps I suggested before, I tried them all.  You're following the other thread dealing with this here as well.

It may be a problem with the chipset, your G51jx and my G73jh use the same Intel HM55 chipset.  MaximumPC 6/2010p92 brings up the possibility of difficulties with the Intel P55 south bridge.  I don't know the similarities between the HM55 and the P55 they are using.

There are quite a number of people here who have successfully installed the Corsair P128 SSD in the G73jh laptops so I see two possibilities, one we both did identical things to the drive and borked something important or we both got bad drives and the partition copy kill is just a red herring.

I currently think doing a partition copy probably does something to the drive, maybe overwriting needed parameters somewhere.  I can't see how on earth someone would sell a drive that could be damaged by normal disk drive partitioning and management but I must consider that a possibility.

Good luck with your drive.  Mine'll be on the UPS truck back on Monday.  I wish I could have been more help to you.  I may try a Patriot drive next.  It's more money but hopefully a better solution.

All the best,
David

MJS
Level :
Posted:5/2/2010 4:29:00 AM # 5
Hey, maybe two threads will help get us an answer. Just so we can rule out partitioning as a potential cause, my FIRST step was booting to Linux via a flash drive with the brand new untouched Corsair. It wouldn't boot to the flash drive. So, brand new out of the box it still locked up. I'm going with the MB/Chipset/BIOS, since I can use the SSD in my old Gateway laptop without a problem. Unfortunately, I bought the ASUS to replace my Gateway! Crucial has one that is cheaper than the Corsair, but I have had great luck with Corsair products. I think I will return the Corsair, but have a really strong feeling that it is not the drive's fault. I'll post any new news and I definitely appreciate your postings.

DE
Level :
Posted:5/2/2010 5:06:00 AM # 6
Did you see this thread?
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/250864-32-install-windows-corsair-p128

He brings up the question of it being a Win7 issue.  He says Vista allows his to boot but Win7 won't.

David

MJS
Level :
Posted:5/2/2010 6:10:00 AM # 7
I ran across that as well surfing for answers. Unfortunately, I tried a Vista boot CD as well. In fact, it really is an issue (at least for me) where the laptop will recognize the drives, but not get past that point to even ALLOW another device to boot ANYTHING. Heck, a DOS boot disk will not even boot, either from DVD or USB floppy, USB flash drive, etc. In fact, as long as the Corsair is plugged in, nothing will boot anything. It won't even ATTEMPT to read the DVD past that point. Frustrating. I wish someone would chime in and say they had the same issue with a Corsair, but another drive worked. That would be nice.

DE
Level :
Posted:5/2/2010 8:13:00 PM # 8
It seems it can happen with any of them.  I think the partition copy to the SSD may be the problem. If I get another one I don't think I'll do that again.

I have a Win7/64 Pro upgrade disk, purchased for $79 from Best Buy with my laptop. 

The following may work.  Option 3 might be the safest and I'll probably try that first.  All of these avoid any direct partition copies. All formatting and partition management would be done through Windows itself.

(1)
Backup current system to USB installed drive
Install SSD
Partition & format SSD NTFS
Restore backup to SSD
Remove primary HD
See if SSD boots

(2)
Backup current system to USB installed drive with Windows backup utility
Make ASUS restore disks.
Install SSD
Partition & format  SSD FAT32 (allows the ASUS restore disks on <500GB drive) in
Remove primary HD
Restore system from ASUS restore disks, to install Windows and drivers
Confirm ability to boot
Convert to NTFS
Upgrade to Win7/64 Pro
Restore backup data from USB installed drive

(3)
Backup current system to USB installed drive with Windows backup utility
Install SSD, remove primary HD
Use Win7 Pro upgrade disk to do fresh install of Win7
Restore backup data from USB installed drive

David

MJS
Level :
Posted:5/2/2010 9:01:00 PM # 9
In all three sccenarios, you are assuming you will be able to boot the computer with the SSD installed. I have not been able to boot my computer with the SSD installed no matter what, to ANY device. I wish you the best of luck.

DE
Level :
Posted:5/2/2010 9:16:00 PM # 10
These were not scenarios for the drives that are not bootable, they were scenarios for a new drive.  I don't think the drives that are in our condition will be useful.  I think they'll need replacement or repair to restore function.  I'll drop a note to Nathan Edwards at Maximum PC and see if he'll lend a hand, or at least tell us if there's progress on the P55 south bridge chipset issue. 

David

1 2 3  Next  Last
Previous Topic:: Next Topic
Feedback for our Website ModeratorModerator: MCZ New Topic Related FAQ Related FAQ Forum Home Forum Home
Forum Model :
Legal Information | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Contact Us | ASUS Global
  ©ASUSTeK Computer Inc. All rights reserved.