Forum  
  Topic : [Problem]My wireless just won't turn on. New Topic
Yoon
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 1
Posted:5/3/2009 9:36:00 AM # 1
Hello,

I bought a ASUS G50VT-X2 series on NewEgg on the November of 2008. Recently, a week ago I was at a conference and stayed for a few nights at a hotel in Santa Clara. I was using a hotel wifi there for free, and thats when the problem started happening.

My wifi won't turn on. It's not that it won't scan for networks--it's just not on.

I've tried:

1. Fn + F2 --> nothing happens.
2. Windows Restore to before the problem
3. Complete Windows System Reformat (twice)
4. Flash BIOS
5. Uninstall, reinstall network drivers (Intel wifi link 5300)
6. Restore factory defaults in BIOS.

Current State:

1. Device Manager shows "Device is working properly"
2. The WiFi light on my laptop is not on--BUT I have seen the bluetooth light on during boot. Does bluetooth capability come with the same intel wireless card?
3. IPCONFIG shows "Media disconnected" for everything.
4. The bottom right tray icon shows "You are not currently connected to any networks"
5. Diagnostic and Repair --> Turn Wireless On -- does NOTHING.

I have NO idea why this is happening. Device manager shows it's working fine, but it won't turn on.

Any ideas or suggestions before I send this thing in for repair?

Reply Reply Quote & Reply Quote & Reply
Morgan
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 2
Posted:5/3/2009 9:58:00 AM # 2
ME FKING TOO DUDE.

I'm sick and tired of this already.  I've had it for two days, and the internet has cut out on me 25x or more.  I don't have this problem with any other device - GF's Vista laptop, iPhone, PS3.  It's a HUGE problem, one that warrants the laptop half useless, and we're screwed because Best Buy will charge you 15% restocking to return it (which is almost $150).

So far, the most promising information I've gotten is that it may be something to do with the battery save mode, and it not working correctly.  This means, though, that we'd have to use High Performance mode anytime you want to be online - which reduces the battery life by a bajillion times and increases the temperature in the laptop by the same, causing wear and tear and ultimately shortening the life span of the system.

I'm ready to find someone with a Windows 7 beta disk laying around and throw that on.  This isn't the only problem I'm having with the machine either.

Yoon
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:5/3/2009 12:01:00 PM # 3
The problem for me, is regardless of what power setting my laptop is on, the wireless just refuses to turn on at all. I'm not sure if it's a software problem, cause I've done system restore. I'm starting to think maybe the hardware is failing me.

Morgan
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 2
Posted:5/3/2009 12:40:00 PM # 4
ah mybad dude.  Sounds like it very well could be a hardware failure.

Willy
Level :
Tech Points : 3969
Posted:5/3/2009 3:58:00 PM # 5

Refer to the user’s manual page 23.  There is a Wireless Switch at the front side of your G50Vt computer for the wireless LAN and Bluetooth.  Move it few times and make sure that it is placed at the ON position.  Also, refer to page 32 for the hot keys.  Press Fn+F2 keys for turning the wireless on/off.  When the wireless (or Bluetooth) is ON, the indicator will light up.

Hope this will be helpful to solve the problem.  Good luck!!

Yoon
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:5/4/2009 1:54:00 PM # 6
You're telling me I flashed my BIOS, reformatted my PC twice, reinstall drivers, and ALMOST sent my laptop in for repair, all because a simple switch was turned to 'Off'?

...well, you're right. How silly of me. -.-

Thank you so much. (:

Sam
Level :
Posted:1/22/2012 2:32:00 AM # 7
Your not alone, I never looked for the switch on my L50 since it had a keyboard shortcut. I swapped out cards as well as a fresh install of windows. And never effing looked for that. Sad day :-) Thanks though

Previous Topic:: Next Topic
Feedback for our Website ModeratorModerator: MCZ New Topic Related FAQ Related FAQ Forum Home Forum Home
Forum Model :
Legal Information | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Contact Us | ASUS Global
  ©ASUSTeK Computer Inc. All rights reserved.