Join member

ASUS Support Home Location : Forum > Notebook > G50Vt  
  Forum  
  Topic : [Problem]Losing Wireless Connection New Topic
Wiley
Level :
Tech Points : 0
Posted:3/9/2009 8:28:00 PM # 1
Hi, I'm having issues with my new G50Vt X5 laptop.  Every time it goes into sleep mode or idles for any amount of time, I lose my wireless connection.  It doesn't actually show as disconnected, still says it's on the network, but will not send or receive any information.  The only way to fix it that I've found is to restart the computer. 

I have a Linksys WRT54G router.  Other pc's on the network continue to function as usual while the Asus is unable to connect.

Any suggestions?

Reply Reply Quote & Reply Quote & Reply
Wiley
Level :
Posted:3/10/2009 2:29:00 AM # 2

I figured it out.  Apparently the NIC is set to shut off to save power by the stock settings.  To fix (vista):

Start>control panel > classic view > system > hardware > device manager > network. Adaptors > properties > power save mode

Uncheck the box that says "allow windows to turn this device off to save power"

Wiley
Level :
Posted:3/10/2009 7:04:00 PM # 3
Ok, so apparently I jumped on the "it's fixed" bandwagon too soon.  It's still doing this, and now has started dropping the connection in the same manner when I first start it up after shut down, where it wasn't doing that before.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Milo
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 10
Posted:3/11/2009 1:48:00 AM # 4
I figure you have already covered these bases but just wanted to post for the "just in case" aspect.  Do you have your SSID broadcasting on your router?  Have you checked your area for other conflicting router?  Have you checked Windows Update for the newest drivers?

The only time I saw something like this happening was on my sister-in-law's HP.  The problem turned out to be her wireless setting on the router / laptop and a new neighbor.  She left the SSID on the router as "Linksys" but set up encryption and hide (did not transmit) her SSID.  Apparently someone moved into the neighborhood and set up there own router with the SSID of "Linksys" but open security.  At certain times (many times coming out of sleep) her laptop would see the neighbor's router first and connect to it, but loss the connection due to it being on the fringe of reception.  The laptop would then see her router and connect to it.  The problem was that the neighbor's router was an open account so that would temporarily remove her security setting for the "Linksys" wireless connection.  Since the security setting were gone it wouldn't transmit even through it showed a high strength connection to her router.

This had me stumped for a long time until I finally did a scan of her area using a tool that gives both SSID and MAC addresses of the wireless networks.  I tool like netstumbler for XP or Vistastumbler for Vista would work good for this check.

Wiley
Level :
Posted:3/11/2009 2:33:00 AM # 5

Thanks a lot for the post, appreciate the help. 

It wasn't my router SSID, I already checked all that out.  I finally broke down and called Best Buy today, and the guy said it's a problem with the network card, that they had had one or two come back recently with the same problem.  I bought the full replacement warranty, so I took it in, they swapped my HD to a different laptop and sent me on my way.

I had found a post on here and a couple in other places regarding the G50 having the same problems, but nobody ever seemed to have a fix.  It turns out there isn't a fix.  I just hope the new one doesn't have the same problem.  This is my first ever *new* machine, it was pretty discouraging to be having problems with it this soon.

Milo
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:3/11/2009 4:36:00 AM # 6
Glad you got it resolved!  I figured you had check those item but like I said, "just in case".  I wonder if there was just some flaky cards out there or if this is some kind of  underlining problem with these cards.  My G50VT-A2 does "reconnect" to my router from time to time but the only time I had a problem not connecting was when I toggle the wireless off by accident.

It's kind of cool that they just swapped drive and let you go.  I'll give BB points for that. ;)

Wiley
Level :
Posted:3/11/2009 8:54:00 AM # 7
The new one is doing it too.  I know it's not my router because the other one did it at best buy when we were standing at the counter.

I'm starting to become dissatisfied.

Wiley
Level :
Posted:3/12/2009 1:25:00 AM # 8
According to the manager at the local Best Buy Geek  Squad, this is a pretty prevalent problem with the X5's.  He said like 80-90% of them are coming back with the same issues. 

Be careful if you buy one of these.

Milo
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:3/12/2009 1:54:00 AM # 9
Do you also have a Intel WiFi Link 5100 a/g/n wireless card?  If so, I find it hard to believe that 80-90% of these are coming back since the G50VT-A2's and A1's have the same card.

I did a bit more digging and need you to check your security setting on your router and wireless card.  There was a post on one of the Dell forums about the same wireless card and the same problem, read here.  The easy solution was the change the security type to WPA-PSK(TKIP).

Hope this helps

Wiley
Level :
Posted:3/12/2009 4:56:00 AM # 10

I dont have the books with me currently to check, but according to the specs page on bestbuy.com, it's an a/b/g/n intel wireless set.  It doesn't have the actual model number listed.  I'll give the security thing a shot, but I'm skeptical due to the fact that it's done it on multiple networks.

1 2  Next  Last
Previous Topic:: Next Topic
Feedback for our Website ModeratorModerator: MCZ New Topic Related FAQ Related FAQ Forum Home Forum Home
Forum Model :
Legal Information | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Contact Us | ASUS Global
  ©ASUSTeK Computer Inc. All rights reserved.