ASUS Support Home Location : Forum > Notebook > G2S  
  Forum  
  Topic : [Sharing]XP on ASUS G2S versus Vista New Topic
Coaxial65
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 1
Posted:2/4/2009 5:35:00 AM # 1

Just another post on the Windows XP on G2S discussion.

I have just completed the installation of XP on my G2S, following the instruction from earlier postings on this forum. I am glad I did, what a difference! The speed is phenomenal and the G2S run as smooth as butter.
I tried running it with Vista Ultimate for over a year and even tried the new Windows 7 on it (which runs much faster than Vista!). None of the afore mentioned operating systems gave the performance of XP.
As for Vista, I am all for new gadgets, but Vista is a big disappointment. Even with all the gadgetry switched off (Sidebar, Aero, UAC, Defender and so on...), it still does not perform as well as XP.
This brings it to the point....what is the purpose of having a new OS full of interesting functions, if the burden on the performance is so great, that you have to switch most of the functions off again to re-gain a reasonably running machine.

As I mentioned Windows 7 seems to run much faster and smoother on the G2S, but still doesn't beat XP. Although there is definetely some potential here!

I could only find two problems with running XP on the G2S, one of which was mentioned previously.
The first one is the lack of support for the Philips RC1974502/00 remote control. I have downloaded and installed the ITECIR driver from
www.asustreiber.de, which got rid of the last yellow icon in the device manager, but the remote will not work. I also tried installing HIP, but to no avail! I can live with this.

The second problem I found is that the IRDA port seems to be dead as well (right hand side of SD-slot). I like using this for file transfer between my older laptop and the G2S. But may be I did something wrong there...?

The summary is : I am as happy as can be with my G2S and XP. It is as fast as lightning!
 Xp is now running in dual boot configuration with Vista. The Vista Partition was shrunk prior to the XP install to the bear minimum and XP resides now on primary partition "D:"
A new "Data" partition was made once both OS were in place, which now has the drive letter "E:". In the Vista boot manager, XP is set to Default OS and thats it.

One more thing, I installed ASUS Mobile Theater (brilliant!!!) instead of MCE and now my Composite and S-Video inputs work great for the first time and I can switch between digital and analog tv-tuner as I wish, without sluggish response and without annoying retunes.
Just wish ASUS had given official XP support for this great machine.

G.

Reply Reply Quote & Reply Quote & Reply
bellasys
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 0
Posted:2/16/2009 8:04:00 PM # 2

Coax-

Hey, this is good news about XP, thanks for posting. I visited the G2 Forums to check this solution when I bought my computer in... wow, October 2007. I was able to get most of my software running with Vista even before SP1, even though most everyone I spoke to said you couldn't run Photoshop, etc. I am a design professional and I laughed a little at all the hype (the bad hype) about Vista because I could get (almost) everything to run. It was better than the worst reports by far, but it was (by far) worse than the best reports. I live in Seattle so I got an early build. Even the developers hated Vista, so I knew it was about as good as Windows ME (gag, cough, choke, puke). I said they'd have a new OS in 2 years and my words came true. Anyway---

I love my ASUS G2S. I bought it for the native 1920x1200 res (I notice it works fastest in Native res), the HDMI port now works well with my Nikon D700 - (recording HD video TTL using the finest quality lenses in the world - hello!!). I actually made my final decision to buy this Notebook based on one thing: I wanted to give one of my fave MOBO manufacturers a chance to beat my Sony Vaio ($4,000 U.S. in 2002) My Toshiba Satellite ($3300 U.S. in 2005). I don't list software in these prices- I bought my G2S for $2,000 U.S. no Microsoft Office, no other software (no TV tuner either) just $2K of pure hardware that blew away the Toshiba, and it compared easily to the VAIO's I was looking at 2007 in the $3K range.

Since you have confirmed XP working well I am going to "upgrade" it myself, and then I will test Maya 2009 Complete on it.

The few problems I've had along the way have been minor. I had a great OOBE until I reloaded my OS 1 month after buying it and found the stuttering audio driver issue. I have resolved it since then by reading this forum and reloading the driver.

I have also found the same power supply switching problems many people reported back in Jan 08. I understand the problem because most Mobile users want to plug/unplug and go-go-go!!!  I know I'm late to post this opinion, but I think ASUS did a good job with the power management controls, even though it creates some instability for many mobile users according to their expectations; but these are expectations, not realities. The reality is that most Notebooks prior to 2006 did not have the architecture to cut power to the battery after 100% charged the way this ASUS does. Sure, it's erratic when you rip the AC and jump into your friend's car, and you'll probably reboot- particularly when you start Internet Connect Sharing via Bluetooth on your mobile driving down the freeway. But here's the result of that "flaw." It's actually sophisticated architecture that keeps us from destroying the battery when running AC power as we do 98% of the time. I have learned to appreciate this because I don't like buying new laptop batteries to replace dead cells from "over-charging", and the only thing that pisses me off more than that is playing by the "Old Rules" where I was supposed to sit there with no battery backup just waiting for my dog to rip the power cord out, making me lose all my programming and work. UPS's can't help when my @#%@$% dog yanks my cord out. So, my battery has never sufferred; it still gets the same 1 (yes, one) hour of productivity it did when I first bought it. But when the cord gets ripped I still get to save my work, and I just reboot to ensure that everything keeps going well.

I have my concerns about XP handling some of the advanced features of this MOBO, and yet most of the software I use (and the creative ways I use it) will probably tell me what I'm missing. I think many users would benefit from learning one of the most valuable things a programmer knows about life:  the way it "should" work is a concept; the way it does work is reality. There is much to be learned from comparing these results. I hoped for a lot from this machine without really expecting it. I got a fantastic machine that far exceeded my expectations for the $$$ I paid. And if I can take XP Pro and actually turn this into a lite-production unit for Maya 2009 Complete, it just turned from Gold to Platinum as far as I'm concerned.

Coaxial65
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 1
Posted:3/2/2009 4:19:00 AM # 3
Hi,

I hope you have success with your XP installation. let me know how you got on and if you ran into any problems. One mistake I made was that I installed too many utilities too soon. I should have waited for a week or so to see how everything works.
I had no problems with XP handling any part of the notebooks hardware exept for the already mentioned Philips remote control (piece of junk...). If you install the ASUS Mobile Theater, you should disable the PCM service. I did this through the Spybot toolbox, but there are other ways. The reason why I did this was that the notebooks side lights started flashing every time Windows started. Now with the service disabled, they only come on when I start the Mobile Theater and they stop again as I shut down the program.
I have stated in my initial post that XP exists now with Vista on a multi-boot system. I am going to review this now and unless I run into problems with XP (which I don't think I will...), I will scrub Vista and extend the XP partition into the available space. The only thing to remember here is that I will have to retain the original drive letter for the XP partition (D: in my case) as otherwise my registry goes on a permanent holiday!

Good luck
G.

coljung
Level :
Tech Points : 2
Posted:3/28/2009 11:28:00 AM # 4
please read post below.

coljung
Level :
Tech Points : 2
Posted:3/28/2009 11:29:00 AM # 5

Quote:
Author: Coaxial65 Posted: 3/2/2009 4:19:00 AM

.... One mistake I made was that I installed too many utilities too soon. I should have waited for a week or so to see how everything works.

Same mistake.... i installed everything too soon and now i can't make my camera work... it was working initially although upside down ... then i dont know what i did and it just stopped working.

I have tried installing its driver ( the one from the driver's list ) to no avail, i keep getting an error.  Btw, when it started wokring, i had not installed the driver, once i tried it just stopped working and hasnt worked since...

Sudex
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 6
Posted:4/1/2009 4:47:00 AM # 6
Please take a look at post number 9 in this thread.

Good luck, Sudex http://sudex.myminicity.com/
Zac_McKracken
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 0
Posted:6/14/2010 7:11:00 AM # 7

Quote:
Author: Coaxial65 Posted: 2/4/2009 5:35:00 AM
One more thing, I installed ASUS Mobile Theater (brilliant!!!) instead of MCE and now my Composite and S-Video inputs work great for the first time and I can switch between digital and analog tv-tuner as I wish, without sluggish response and without annoying retunes.
Just wish ASUS had given official XP support for this great machine.

G.

hi,
maybe some days to late, but better then never - my second try to get the 
tv-tuner to work ....

the tv & radio buttons at the main menu are empty
the channelscan is ok, many radio & tv channels where found on DVB-T

can you help me with a detailled guide how to install which components ?

installed Driver/Software:
LITEON 3.0.3.4
MCE encoder 1.1
Asus mobile theater 4.0

G2S, winXP SP 2 - no additional software, only hardware drivers installed

thx !!
zac_mckracken@gmx.net

Previous Topic:: Next Topic
Feedback for our Website ModeratorModerator: MCZ New Topic Related FAQ Related FAQ Forum Home Forum Home
Forum Model :
Legal Information | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Contact Us | ASUS Global
  ©ASUSTeK Computer Inc. All rights reserved.