ASUS Support Home Location : Forum > Notebook > G1S  
  Forum  
  Topic : [Problem]notebook does not recognize dvd/cd drive New Topic
Där Fürst
Level :
Tech Points : 0
Posted:7/8/2007 4:07:00 PM # 1
Hello!

Since yesterday my Asus G1S does not recognize the dvd/cd drive, this is to say it is not shown at the "computer" (vista ultimate).

i looked up at the device manager and it shows me that the driver could not be load and that they are possibly damaged or simply not available.

the drive is described as "HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-T20L ATA Device".

i tried almost everything, set the system back to last week, looked up at the bios (but there the drive is listed properly) and so on. has anyone another idea or the right drivers because i couldn't find them on the asus site.

thank you in advance.

Reply Reply Quote & Reply Quote & Reply
Andy
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:7/9/2007 2:18:00 PM # 2

Quote:
Author: Där Fürst Posted: 7/8/2007 4:07:00 PM

Hello!

Since yesterday my Asus G1S does not recognize the dvd/cd drive, this is to say it is not shown at the "computer" (vista ultimate).

i looked up at the device manager and it shows me that the driver could not be load and that they are possibly damaged or simply not available.

the drive is described as "HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-T20L ATA Device".

i tried almost everything, set the system back to last week, looked up at the bios (but there the drive is listed properly) and so on. has anyone another idea or the right drivers because i couldn't find them on the asus site.

thank you in advance.
Hi! Did you just  perhaps download a new game from DVD. I have had some same kind of problems before, and some strong copy protects like StarForce can make problems like that. 

ASUS G1S/T7500 2.2 /2GB RAM667/8600GT 256DDR3/1440X900/160GB

Posted:7/9/2007 4:49:00 PM # 3
Try uninstalling "HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-T20L ATA Device" from device manager, then rebooting. After the reboot it should be recognized and the driver reinstalled automatically. If that doesn't help, try uninstalling "IDE CHANNEL" under "IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers" (the name might be a little different with Vista, im using XP at the moment) and then rebooting.
That might help. If it doesn't try uninstalling any CD/DVD emulation software as well as StarForce and alike protected games.

Waldo
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:7/20/2007 10:12:00 AM # 4
I have the same problem.  Did uninstalling the IDE channel work?  I'm afraid to fool around with unistalling that.

Brown
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:7/20/2007 11:10:00 AM # 5
My new GIS doesn't recognize half of the CDs/DVD's I put in the drive and usually I have to revert to my old vaio whcih always works.

Old school Mike
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:7/24/2007 10:39:00 AM # 6
if its on and off for reading, it sounds like you need to replace the disk drive. if it was software based, it would most likely be able to read all, or not even one disk.

Only thing I can think up is checking intel for any support on the firmware for an unknown make.

quiet techie
Hoppyetail
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:1/21/2008 6:34:00 AM # 7
Im looking for firmware to the dvd drive, but cant find any.

Shannon
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 1
Posted:6/13/2009 3:14:00 AM # 8
I had the same problem. Followed the instructions on this Vista support page to edit my registry and DVD drive came right back! http://forums.techarena.in/vista-hardware-devices/776242.htm

Previous Topic:: Next Topic
Feedback for our Website ModeratorModerator: MCZ New Topic Related FAQ Related FAQ Forum Home Forum Home
Forum Model :
Legal Information | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Contact Us | ASUS Global
  ©ASUSTeK Computer Inc. All rights reserved.