ASUS Support Home Location : Forum > Audio Cards > Xonar HDAV1.3  
  Forum  
  Topic : [Problem]Popping sounds New Topic
Fulco
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 39
Posted:3/31/2010 7:26:00 PM # 1

I installed ASUS Xonar HDAV 1.3A on Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit.

The audio is Popping like mad. Every sound, starts with a loud POP sound.

Driver: PCI-HDAV-091126-7.12.8.1777(W73264-RC-01)

ASUS Audio Center is always set to: 6 Channels, SPDIF Out: Dolby Digital Live.

I checked: different SPDIF cables; coax connection; different Receivers.

And also Uninstalled, Restarted and Installed the drivers.

The popping is related to ‘Dolby Digital Life’ and ‘DTS Interactive’.

Stereo output (over Digital out SPDIF/Coax) doesn’t make a Pop-Sound.

I test using the Windows 7, Sounds Control Panel: selecting a ‘Program Event’ (with a Sound) and then clicking Test. Repeating this procedure, with different ‘Program Events’, produces a Pop-Sound in about 1 in 5 clicks.

I also noticed between ‘Program Event’ sounds, the Receiver switched to PCM 48Khz, while playing a Sound the Receiver switches to Dolby Digital 5.1 (which is correct). On another PC, with a DX, the Receiver doesn’t switch to PCM in-between sounds, just shows no signal.

Also noticed (hidden devices): 'MS Streaming Clock Proxy', NS Streaming Quality Manager Proxy', MS Streaming Service Proxy', 'Microsoft Trusted Audio Drivers': code 45

At the time the DX was installed, on Windows 7 64 bit, there were no popping-sounds.

Also the onboard SoundMax audio didn't POP.

Programs:

DVB Viewer: Output AC3Filter Dolby 5.1; switching Channel: POP

Windows Internet Explorer: clicking on link: POP; Sometimes the "Start Navigation" sound can't be heard, but only the loud POP.

Winamp: Playing a wave file: POP (starting Winamp from Explorer: POP; Closing Winamp: POP).

Cyberlink: switching audio tracks POP; between chapters POP

Please contact me, if you need more information or tests.

Fulco

Reply Reply Quote & Reply Quote & Reply
(Windows 7) OS: Windows 7 64bit; ASUS P6T7WS Supercomputer; Intel i7 920; 12 Gb Ram; ATI Radeon 5870; Adaptec RAID 5405; ASUS HDAV 1.3; 3x TeVii S470 DVB-S/S2
Isaac
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 252
Posted:4/1/2010 9:14:00 PM # 2
Dear Fulco,

We are now workimg on copying your environment and verify your popping sound issue, thanks you for pointing it out and we appreciate your patience to wait for our solution. Besides, we will release the new driver version of all our Xonar cards in April and hope it will be helpful to problem and to upgrade your audio experience. Thx. 

ASUS Cine5, ASUS CineVibe, Cinematic Audio Peripherals, ASUS Xonar
Fulco
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:4/2/2010 12:16:00 AM # 3

Quote:
Author: Isaac Posted: 4/1/2010 9:14:00 PM

Dear Fulco,

We are now workimg on copying your environment and verify your popping sound issue, thanks you for pointing it out and we appreciate your patience to wait for our solution. Besides, we will release the new driver version of all our Xonar cards in April and hope it will be helpful to problem and to upgrade your audio experience. Thx. 

Hi Isaac,

Thanks for your update.
Is it possible to test a beta version of the ‘soon to be released’ driver?
I have only a few days left, in which I can return the HDAV 1.3 to the shop.

Fulco

(Windows 7) OS: Windows 7 64bit; ASUS P6T7WS Supercomputer; Intel i7 920; 12 Gb Ram; ATI Radeon 5870; Adaptec RAID 5405; ASUS HDAV 1.3; 3x TeVii S470 DVB-S/S2
Isaac
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:4/2/2010 3:37:00 PM # 4
Hi, we have done our test on your issue but found no problem. To further help you, we have send you a print-screen pic for refering to the setting. Please check your email box, thx.

Fulco
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:4/2/2010 6:49:00 PM # 5

My setup is exactly as your screen print.

About the testing:
Our hardware and software configuration are not the same.
Hardware: ASUS HDAV 1.3 (or Xonar D2X); ATI Radeon 5780; Adaptec ASR 5404; 3x TeVii S470

Fulco

Fulco
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:4/2/2010 7:47:00 PM # 6

Ø  My setup is exactly as your screen print.
Except ‘Audio Channels’ is set to 6 channels.

I uninstalled HDAV, restarted PC, and Installed HDAV, restarted.

The popping sound is still there (only if SPIF Out’ is set to ‘Dolby Digital Life’ or ‘DTS interactive’, not PCM, which only gives 2 channels).

Fulco
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:4/7/2010 7:51:00 PM # 7

The HDAV 1.3 drivers cause a large increase in the system Latency.

This has a visible effect when playing DVB-S2 HD video.

Removing the HDAV, and using the SoundMax audio instead, dives a far better picture quality.

ASUS Please fix the driver!

Isaac
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:4/8/2010 9:14:00 PM # 8
Hey, Fulco. Let us try to narrow down your issue first: Did you feel the visible latency only when playing DVB-S2 HD video format? or when playing all other video formats? It does matter for us to verify your issue. Appreciate if you can provide further info, and thanks in advance.

Fulco
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:4/8/2010 9:44:00 PM # 9

Hi Isaac,

The ASUS HDAV 1.3 drivers cause a large increase in the system Latency (DPC Latency Checker > 500 us, with spikes > 3000 us every few seconds). This has a visible effect when playing DVB-S2 HD video.

Removing the ASUS HDAV 1.3, and using the SoundMax audio instead, gives a far better picture quality.

Disabling ‘Dolby Digital Life’ / ‘DTS Interactive’ using PCM (with HDAV 1.3 installed), also gives a lower Latency (< 300 us), and better video quality. The sound-stuttering (with CoreAVC) is still there. PCM output also gives some pop-sounds and ‘statics?’.

The increase in latency is not related to HD video: playing MPEG streams, with Dolby digital enabled, also has a latency > 500 us. Disableling DD or DTS -> PCM gives latency < 300 us.

Fulco
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:4/13/2010 7:43:00 PM # 10

The ASUS HDAV 1.3 drivers cause a large increase in the system Latency (DPC Latency Checker > 500 us, with spikes > 3000 us every few seconds). This makes watching DVB-S2 HDTV channels impossible. Switching to PCM, solves most of the video-dropouts, video-stuttering and sound issues, but not completely.

Due to the fact this PC’s main use is watching DVB-S2 satellite channels, with Dolby Digital sound, the expensive system is now useless. Or at least the HDAV 1.3 card is un-useable.

Please ASUS, fix the driver, or take my HDAV 1.3 back, and return the paid sum.

Fulco

(Windows 7) OS: Windows 7 64bit; ASUS P6T7WS Supercomputer; Intel i7 920; 12 Gb Ram; ATI Radeon 5870;  Adaptec RAID 5405; ASUS HDAV 1.3; 3x TeVii S470 DVB-S/S2

1 2  Next  Last
Previous Topic:: Next Topic
Feedback for our Website ModeratorModerator: yoyolai New Topic Related FAQ Related FAQ Forum Home Forum Home
Forum Model :
Legal Information | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Contact Us | ASUS Global
  ©ASUSTeK Computer Inc. All rights reserved.