ASUS Support Home Location : Forum > Audio Cards > Xonar DG  
  Forum  
  Topic : [Problem]New DG not being recognized New Topic
Scourge
Level :
Tech Points : 1
Posted:3/18/2011 5:01:00 AM # 1
Hello all,

I recently purchased a Xonar DG sound card off ASUS. For the past 3 days I have not even been able to see this card in device manager. I have put it in all 4 of my available PCI slots with no change. Every time I try to install the drivers on the disk I get the message "Please Plug-In your ASUS Xonar DG Audio Device". I'm guessing that because it won't even show up on the device manager that its a problem with my BIOS even though the integrated sound is off. I just got this new mobo about a month ago so i wouldn't be surprised if that it the issue, I'm just not sure where to go from here since I don't really know how to configure my PCI slots. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Setup:
Gigabyte P43-ES3G motherboard
ATI Radeon 4850 video card
Intel Dual Core 3.00 GHz processor
Corsair 450W psu

Reply Reply Quote & Reply Quote & Reply
feRfe
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:3/18/2011 2:41:00 PM # 2
same problem with same card...

windows detected the device as unknown media controller twice but now it doesn't anymore

i checked hardware id then and matched it with what it should be and three values were off

do work asus

Scourge
Level :
Posted:3/18/2011 8:11:00 PM # 3
Ya I've had that too. Sometimes when I re-seat it windows will recognize an unknown PCI device but then its gone the next time I reboot.

Fox
Level :
Posted:11/1/2011 10:29:00 PM # 4
Whoa! This is the EXACT SAME PROBLEM I am facing as well.

I purchased a Xonar DG a couple of weeks ago. First, the mic stopped working yesterday and today the Audio out is not working as well. I tried to reinstall the drivers but keep getting the error -

"Please Plug-In your ASUS Xonar DG Audio Device"

even though the card IS plugged in.. Windows Device Manager shows the Xonar as an "Unknown Multimedia Device".

I tried several solutions to fix the issue. I took out the card and inserted it into another free PCI slot. Same problem.

I then took out the card and put it in a completely different PC running XP. Again the same problem - device manager finds the card but the installation software doesn't run and keeps asking me to "Please Plug-In your ASUS Xonar DG Audio Device".

I tried the drivers on the accompanying Install CD as well as drivers from the ASUS site. It didn't make any difference.

Although my motherboard does have an on-board Realtek HD chip I made sure that I had uninstalled the software for Realtek and then disabled it in the BIOS before I inserted and installed the XONAR. The fact is, the card was working fine for the last couple of weeks. No new hardware or software has been installed on my PC since the Xonar.

One thing I did notice was that when my PC boots, it shows that the Xonar has been assigned IRQ 5/7 (depending on which PCI slot its in) but Windows claims no IRQ has been assigned to the device because it states  "its not working properly".

Glad to know I am not alone though. Hope support comes through with a solution soon....

cladisch
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 470
Posted:11/1/2011 10:50:00 PM # 5
check this: http://www.alsa-project.org/main/index.php/Xonar_EEPROM_Failure

Fox
Level :
Posted:11/2/2011 6:23:00 PM # 6
Based on what cladisch posted above, I can confirm that my Hardware ID shows up as 878813F6 - ie. overwritten EEPROM.

Furthermore, if a simple flash is all it takes to restore the card, why havent ASUS offered users this utility themselves on their website? I am really disappointed to see that it takes a 3rd party app developer (Kudos to you Cladisch) to create something that should be offered by ASUS to begin with. I looked everywhere on the ASUS site but found no such utility for the Xonar. If it does exist somewhere on their website, I would really appreciate if someone can link me to it.

Cladisch, its very interesting that you mention on your site -

"the problem occurs only with certain computers or motherboards, and after booting from a CD (i.e., (re)installation of an operating system"

I recently used exactly such a boot CD to restore my hard disk. The boot CD was created by Paragon Backup & Restore 2011 and used to restore drive images. I dont know if this is what caused it but its a strange coincidence that you mentioned it.

I still don't understand how/why this boot CD may have allowed the Xonar DG's EEPROM to be overwritten though.

On the one hand, I am really grateful that Cladisch has gone out of his way to offer his restore utility but I am extremely uncomfortable with flashing my card with a 3rd party utility. Please dont get me wrong Cladisch. Your effort is greatly appreciated and while you have offered the full C source for the app on your site, I am not a programmer and wouldn't know what to make of it anyway.

If this EEPROM problem is a known issue, the VERY LEAST ASUS can do is  provide a flash utility and the relevant BIOS for their customers.

I had more or less decided to buy a ASUS ENGTX570 DCII/2DIS/1280MD5 but after this Xonar EEPROM fiasco, I think I will skip and buy an EVGA or Sapphire instead.

One question for Asus and Cladisch (and I'm sorry if this sounds silly but I am not technically savvy) - if EEPROM has this problem (ie. a chance of being overwritten), then why not opt for a standard ROM instead? After all, its not like ASUS has provided a flash utility to customers anyway.....

heymian
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 276
Posted:11/2/2011 7:02:00 PM # 7
A little suspicious, we have one person with this issue. Then, out of nowhere, three people with new accounts and one post count join the discussion the same day and complain about the same problem. I suspect some multi-account activity going on here.

Fox
Level :
Posted:11/2/2011 9:19:00 PM # 8
@heymian

Well if its any consolation to you, I emailed Asus support regarding this issue just yesterday. When doing so I also submitted my Xonar DG cards Serial no. to them along with exact date of purchase. I live in India. The OP is from the US. I don't know him from adam but his problem is exactly the same as mine.

Before I post in a forum I am new to, I always check if someone else had the same problem before me. Its called "Forum Courtesy" - ie. avoiding double posts regarding the same issue.

The email reply I got back from Asus support was along the lines of "RMA the card with your local dealer". I was already aware of that option - that's not what I consider "help" or "support".

I honestly don't understand the point of your post TBH.

Why on earth would I bother to register on the site let alone post a question until I actually had a problem? If I did not have an issue, I would never have signed up here at all.

If you like, I can upload a screenshot of
a) my box with serial clearly visible
b) a proof of purchase from the dealer in India I bought it from

You suspicions are unfounded and whats more a little absurd. Are you trying to imply that Asus will only look into an issue if more people post regarding it? I seriously doubt Asus would have such a poor customer support policy....

cladisch
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 470
Posted:11/2/2011 10:05:00 PM # 9
I still don't understand how/why this boot CD may have allowed the Xonar DG's EEPROM to be overwritten though.

When booting, the BIOS writes various POST codes to I/O port 80h. (There are POST code display boards that allow to view these codes even when the computer locks up before the graphics card has been initialized.)

As long as the sound card has not yet been initialized, its I/O base address is zero, but it should not react to I/O accesses as long as this is not enabled.

For some reason, the sound chip does accept writes to its registers in this state. This could either be a bug in the BIOS that enables I/O without a valid base address, or a bug in the hardware where the I/O enable bit is ignored and assumed to be one.

The EEPROM access register is at offset 80h in the card's I/O space, and the POST code for "I'm now booting from CD" happens to have the same value as the command for writing to the EEPROM.

if EEPROM has this problem (ie. a chance of being overwritten), then why not opt for a standard ROM instead? After all, its not like ASUS has provided a flash utility to customers anyway.....

This EEPROM is not a BIOS; it contains just six bytes that are used to differentiate between all the various sound card models that use the same CMI878x/AVx00 chip. A flash utility would not be able to do anything but change this model identifier (and this is what my tool allows you to do, although the drivers won't work then because all the other hardware on the card doesn't match).

Fox
Level :
Posted:11/2/2011 10:42:00 PM # 10
Thanks for that detailed explanation. Greatly appreciated although a lot of it went over my head.

I do in fact have a mobo that displays POST codes on boot - its an Abit IP35 Pro, so I know what you mean. Curious to know if the OP also has an IP35 Pro since you mention it may well be a hardware issue.

In any case, I just posted to say a HUGE THANK YOU! :)

I took a leap of faith and tried your app - it worked like a charm! Dude, you seriously rock! Cant thank you enough. Everything is working again - the sound and the mic! The card is properly recognized, driver installed properly. Good to go.

This issue was particularly frustrating for me because my card is just 3 weeks old and I bought it specifically for BF3 because I personally find the sound quality of on-board chips lacking for MP gaming when compared to a dedicated card. Plus I had heard a lot about the HP Pro gaming mode support feature in the Xonar (the audio boost function) and wanted to give it a try.

Once again - thanks, you're a STAR. :)

Cheers

1 2  Next  Last
Previous Topic:: Next Topic
Feedback for our Website ModeratorModerator: yoyolai New Topic Related FAQ Related FAQ Forum Home Forum Home
Forum Model :
Legal Information | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Contact Us | ASUS Global
  ©ASUSTeK Computer Inc. All rights reserved.