Forum  
  Topic : [Problem]new D2X's Hardware-ID ist not the right one New Topic
Lucypher-7M-
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 1
Posted:7/19/2009 7:11:00 AM # 1
Hallo to all,

i've a prob with my new D2X because i could'nt install the drivers form the cd and also
not the beta-ones form the web for win7.

i changed to the xonar from a x-fi because of the poor driversupport from creative for 64bit
windows and more than 4GB ram.

so i'm a lil bit frustrated by the fault installation so i searched for the reason of the prob and discovered the mismatching vendor ID's from the card and the driver-ini files.

to fix this i overwrote the ID in the two ini-files and "TATA" it works.

now i have to ask: Why the hell has a new card mismatching ID's with the driver-ini files?
                             Is it possible that my card is a faked one?
                             Is it possible that my asrock aod790gx/128m or the bios don't give
                             the right VendorID to system?

please give me an answer because if the card is a fake i have to return it to the store
i bought it.

with best regards
Mario

Reply Reply Quote & Reply Quote & Reply
Die Mächtigen sind hochgewachsen, fast zwei Meter groß, ihre Körper sind breitschultrig und muskulös, von unerreichtem Ebenmaß. Die Gesichter sind großflächig und wirken edel, die Hautfarbe ist hell. Die Haare sind dunkel und wallend, schulterlang, die Augen extrem schwarz wie Öffnungen ins Nichts.
cladisch
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 470
Posted:7/20/2009 4:31:00 PM # 2
i've a prob with my new D2X because i could'nt install the drivers form the cd and also
not the beta-ones form the web for win7.

so i'm a lil bit frustrated by the fault installation so i searched for the reason of the prob and discovered the mismatching vendor ID's from the card and the driver-ini files.

to fix this i overwrote the ID in the two ini-files and "TATA" it works.

now i have to ask: Why the hell has a new card mismatching ID's with the driver-ini files?

It's probably this problem:
http://www.alsa-project.org/main/index.php/Xonar_EEPROM_Failure

Do you have an Phoenix Award BIOS? Did you boot from a CD/DVD?

Lucypher-7M-
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:7/24/2009 5:03:00 AM # 3
Many thanks for this quick help.
I changed the vendorID with this tool from the link and reinstalled the driver
the normal way without any issues.

It seems to me that there was a generic problem with the right protection of
the cards eeprom.
I don't know it exactly, but i think it's the wrong way to wright data from subsys to
the cards eeprom. Normaly the cards eeprom should wright data to the bios eeprom
on the mainboard.

If there was somebody who could explain me this, it would be great, because i'm a FAE
on a distributor for embedded hardware and it was very interesting for me to know, if
i am right.

Die Mächtigen sind hochgewachsen, fast zwei Meter groß, ihre Körper sind breitschultrig und muskulös, von unerreichtem Ebenmaß. Die Gesichter sind großflächig und wirken edel, die Hautfarbe ist hell. Die Haare sind dunkel und wallend, schulterlang, die Augen extrem schwarz wie Öffnungen ins Nichts.
cladisch
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 470
Posted:7/24/2009 8:34:00 PM # 4
It seems to me that there was a generic problem with the right protection of
the cards eeprom.
I don't know it exactly, but i think it's the wrong way to wright data from subsys to
the cards eeprom. Normaly the cards eeprom should wright data to the bios eeprom
on the mainboard.

This is not how the subsystem ID detection works.

Devices on the PCI bus are supposed to have certain predefined registers that contain the vendor/product and subsystem vendor/product IDs.
The ID registers are read by the operating system when booting to determine which driver to attach to the device; the BIOS is not involved with this.

Most chips used on PCI(-E) cards allow to be connected to a small EEPROM that contains the subsystem IDs so that multiple card models based on the same chip can be differentiated. That EEPROM is read by the controller chip before any driver is loaded, so the driver usually does not need to care about the EEPROM (except if other configuration information is also stored in there).

In the case of the Xonar's chip (a CMI8788, relabeled as AV200), the only way the EEPROM could get overwritten is that the value 80h or C0h gets written to the port at offset 80h in the card's I/O port range. Reports indicate that his happens with (some?) Phoenix Award BIOSes when the computer is booted from a CD or DVD, regardless of what is on the CD, so it is the BIOS code that writes to the I/O port.

Now the BIOS wouldn't just write random values to random I/O ports, so this is apparently some other write that gets misdirected to the card. An obvious candidate is the POST code debug port at absolute address 80h (which happens to be the only port in the 00-FFh range whose accesses are forwarded to the PCI bus).
I guess that the following happens:
  1. The card's I/O port range is enabled while its base address is set to zero;
  2. when booting from CD, the BIOS writes POST code 80h to port address 80h,
  3. the card interprets this as a EEPROM write command.
The error happens in step 1. where the I/O ports are enabled with a wrong base address.
I do not know if this is a BIOS bug (where the BIOS sets a wrong base address), or a hardware bug (where the CMI8788 decodes some I/O port writes even when the I/O port range is not enabled).

Lucypher-7M-
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:7/25/2009 11:33:00 PM # 5
Many thanks cladisch for this little excursus.
Now i'm thinking your right with your knowledge about a BIOS bug.
It's a totally new error for me, because i've not seen such one in the past.
So what? We never learned enough.

At the end, thanks for helping and teaching.

Previous Topic:: Next Topic
Feedback for our Website ModeratorModerator: yoyolai New Topic Related FAQ Related FAQ Forum Home Forum Home
Forum Model :
Legal Information | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Contact Us | ASUS Global
  ©ASUSTeK Computer Inc. All rights reserved.