Join member

ASUS Support Home Location : Forum > Audio Cards  
  Forum  
  Topic : [Problem]Expert Help needed New Topic
McIntosh
Level :
Tech Points : 1
Posted:2/11/2009 9:49:00 AM # 1
I have experienced a very strange problem with my D2X.

The card was working great for 9 months until today. I was testing out a linux distro (like I've done many times before) called PCLinuxOS and just booted into the live CD mode to get a feel for it. I did not mess with any config at all, I just wanted to see what the distro had to offer application wise. After about 15 min in PCLinuxOS I then rebooted back into Vista and thats when I noticed something was wrong with my card.

(note that the sound card was detected and fully fuctional in Linux)

After Vista started I got "new hardware found" message with windows recomending a driver. That was strange becuase I did not change my hardware so I checked to see what Vista was complaining about. In "device manager" I found that Vista thought I installed a new sound device. Then I noticed the the D2X was not on/working so I rebooted the computer thinking it was a Vista startup bug.

After the reboot I got no "new hardware" message but the D2X was still not working and all my attemps to get it working failled.

The card was no longer being detected in "device manager" at all now so I tryed reinstalling the drivers. The driver installation failled becuase it did not detect the card. The card is plugged in to the PSU and the LED on the card in on. (Note: I no longer hear the "clicking" sound from the card on bootup.)

Troubleshooting:
-I've made sure the card was plugged in to the PSU
-I have a multi-meter and have tested the power to the card was good (+5V)
-Uninstalled and tried to reinstall drivers

Did / could Linux have harmed my card? Did the card just die?

Thank you for reading my post. I appreciate all you help.

Reply Reply Quote & Reply Quote & Reply
cladisch
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 470
Posted:2/11/2009 5:32:00 PM # 2
After Vista started I got "new hardware found" message with windows recomending a driver. [...] The card was no longer being detected in "device manager" at all now so I tryed reinstalling the drivers. The driver installation failled becuase it did not detect the card.
See this page: <http://www.alsa-project.org/main/index.php/Xonar_EEPROM_Failure>

Please tell us which motherboard/BIOS version you are using.

(Note: I no longer hear the "clicking" sound from the card on bootup.)
That clicking sound happens when the card is initialized by the driver.

Did / could Linux have harmed my card?
No, this seems to happen, sometimes, when booting from a CD, regardless of what is on the CD (it can also happen when reinstalling Windows).

(note that the sound card was detected and fully fuctional in Linux)
The sound card chip reads its IDs from the EEPROM when it is powered on or reset, so the overwritten EEPROM is only noticed after the next (re)boot.

McIntosh
Level :
Tech Points : 1
Posted:2/12/2009 12:41:00 PM # 3
Thank you so much cladisch!

From the link you sent me I made a CD ISO, booted from the CD and followed the very simple instructions and the card works great ones again.

I can now enjoy my D2X!

Previous Topic:: Next Topic
Feedback for our Website ModeratorModerator: yoyolai New Topic Related FAQ Related FAQ Forum Home Forum Home
Forum Model :
Legal Information | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Contact Us | ASUS Global
  ©ASUSTeK Computer Inc. All rights reserved.