ASUS Support Home Location : Forum > Audio Cards  
  Forum  
  Topic : [Problem]No sound, wrong subsystem ID - HELP! New Topic
true
Level :
Tech Points : 2
Posted:8/15/2008 1:34:00 PM # 1
Hello, all.

I can't seem to use my Xonar D2X with my M3N-HT in the lower PCI-E slot. All other slots are used or blocked. Power is hooked up. Technical support thus far is a joke, and isn't helping me figure out if it is a motherboard related issue or a soundcard related issue, due to the improper subsystem ID being reported. All they tell me is a canned response for troubleshooting motherboard issues, then an email saying not to reply anymore...

The affected machine is running 32-bit WXP, with a Phenom 9950, 2x 8800GTS G92, Areca ARC-1220 RAID, 2GB RAM.

I have tried the latest two driver versions posted on the Asus site, as well as the latest ones posted by danielk.

Here are my problems:

1) As stated, the subsystem ID being reported by the soundcard is incorrect. Meaning, the driver won't install without changing the information in the INFs (tells me to plug in card). I also need to hexedit the manager application in order to manage the card.

The reported device instance ID is as follows:
PCI\VEN_13F6&DEV_8788&SUBSYS_878813F6&REV_05&2B6C3DCB&0&200098
It should be closer to:
PCI\VEN_13F6&DEV_8788&SUBSYS_82B71043

Notice the subsystem is just device:vendor...

2) I have no analog input or output. I hear the relays click when changing inputs, but still get no audio. I get no audio through any of the analog outputs. Again, power is connected to the 4-pin power connector.

3) While digital audio works, I am affected by the popping issue with sound as the soundcard does not maintain a feed to my receiver.

I don't have another machine with PCI-E slots to test this card in. :( I attempted sound in Sabayon LiveCD, but my guess is that the latest release does not yet have proper support for this soundcard, as I only got one mixer control for main volume and still had no sound or working input.

Any thoughts? Dead card? Board can't read PCI registers correctly? Everything else in the system works great - it's just this card that seems to be the issue. For the price, the lacking support and needing to hexedit a manager application just to even attempt to use the thing is ridiculous...

Reply Reply Quote & Reply Quote & Reply
cladisch
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 465
Posted:8/15/2008 5:24:00 PM # 2
You don't get analog audio because the driver uses the subsystem IDs to determine the card model, and 13F6:8788 is the ID for some cards that use C-Media's reference design; the Xonar cards have a different hardware design.

Usually, the subsystem IDs are stored in a small EEPROM. The chip says it has 13F6:8788 when it cannot read the IDs, so, apparently, the EEPROM or the connection between the AV200 and the EEPROM is broken on your card.

true
Level :
Posted:8/16/2008 12:13:00 AM # 3

13F6:8788 is the normal vendor:device, even for the Asus Xonar D2X. As I stated above, the subsystem ID is being read as 8788:13F6.

That said, I figured as such. I just couldn't find any information about this online, as I found different subsystem IDs listed for reference and other cards.

I tried finding the subsystem stuff in the binary driver, but couldn't find anything to edit.

I'll start the RMA process.

true
Level :
Posted:10/12/2008 5:29:00 AM # 4

I sent in this card after an RMA request with Asus. I received the same card back with absolutely nothing telling me if the issue was resolved or not, whether it was the card or possibly the Asus motherboard I am using, and still having the same issue.

I really didn't want to buy this Asus gear, after the problems I had before. I figured after 5 years, and with the massive consumer electronics push they have going now, that their support would have changed and their products would have worked. I was mostly happy with my A7N8X-Deluxe - Was I wrong to buy Asus, or what?

I'm out $500 on defective hardware now, and I don't know what pieces are really defective. Unless someone else has a solution for this card showing the incorrect subsystem and not working with the drivers, either card-based or motherboard-based, I really can't do anything else but throw this in the trash.

EDIT: Can anyone use WCPREDIT and post their PCI configuration registers? Any other device shows proper subsystem vendor ID and subsystem device ID - only my Xonar D2X shows the same values as device ID and vendor ID. This card is obviously bad and Asus won't do anything about it.

Previous Topic:: Next Topic
Feedback for our Website ModeratorModerator: yoyolai New Topic Related FAQ Related FAQ Forum Home Forum Home
Forum Model :
Legal Information | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Contact Us | ASUS Global
  ©ASUSTeK Computer Inc. All rights reserved.