SEARCH
ASUS Member ID
Password
Forgot password?
Join member

ASUS Support Home Location : Forum > Audio Cards  
  Forum  
  Topic : [Sharing]Faulty GPU? Crash after a minute or so with graphics artifacts New Topic
jolyon
Level :
Tech Points : 1
Posted:11/4/2008 3:25:00 PM # 1
My eee box has suddenly decided to crash about a minute after startup - whatever it's doing.

It sometimes crashes & hangs with no video output, and sometimes restarts. Once or twice it's given me the blue screen of death if it manages to load windows with an irq_not_less_or_equal 0x00000000a stop error.

I have two windows XP operating systems installed on two partitions and both crash a few seconds after login so i'm pretty sure it's not a driver or registry issue. It will even crash before windows has loaded - i.e. it will crash in BIOS - displaying a few horizontal graphics artifacts a few seconds before crashing, or in boot selection screens. Booting to safe mode or VGA mode, or underclocking the GPU from BIOS all crash in the same way.

Twice after crashing it complained of a bad bios checksum, so i updated the bios from 0501 to 0902 successfully and still no luck.

From what little i can gather online this is likely to be a hardware fault, but could be an IRQ allocation problem. If it is the latter is there any way to solve the problem without ripping the thing apart?

Many thanks,

Reply Reply Quote & Reply Quote & Reply
magnus
Level :
Tech Points : 48
Posted:11/6/2008 7:12:00 AM # 2
Whoops sorry system stuck my post in the wrong thread.

capitaltpt
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 5
Posted:11/6/2008 11:02:00 AM # 3
I figured it out.  I had the Duel Core Optimizer still loaded from having my 4800+ installed and it didn't like the Quad Core :)  Uninstalling it solved the BSOD issue and system running stable.

By the way, running two speeds of ram has been no issue because they're both running at 800 MHz at 4-4-4-12.  :)

Thanks!

Nick
Level :
Tech Points : 0
Posted:11/17/2008 7:58:00 PM # 4
Now I got it.It do not work because as is writing in:
http://www.asus.com/products.aspx?l1=3&l2=82&l3=249&l4=0&model=1289&modelmenu=1
,this motherboard support 4gb of RAM at 667/533.
Probably my fourth slot work but I need to overclock it.I hope no burn the mainstation doing this....

Nick
Level :
Posted:11/18/2008 6:52:00 AM # 5
Hi,I tried it and,it works much better but still do not with four mem.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Case1º:
A1-Kingston1gb800(1) or Kingston1gb800(2) or Kingston1gb800(3) or Kingston1gb800(4)
A2,B1,B2-Empty;=>it works at 800 in single channel mode.Load all.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Case2º:
A1-Kingston1gb800(1) or Kingston1gb800(2) or Kingston1gb800(3) or Kingston1gb800(4);
A2-Kingston1gb800(1) or Kingston1gb800(2) or Kingston1gb800(3) or Kingston1gb800(4)
B1,B2-Empty;=>it works at 800 in single channel mode too.Load all.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Case3º:
A1-Kingston1gb800(1) or Kingston1gb800(2) or Kingston1gb800(3) or Kingston1gb800(4)
A2-Kingston1gb800(1) or Kingston1gb800(2) or Kingston1gb800(3) or Kingston1gb800(4)
B1-Kingston1gb800(1) or Kingston1gb800(2) or Kingston1gb800(3) or Kingston1gb800(4)
B2-Empty:=>It works at 800 in dual channel asynchrony mode and too load all.(much better than before :)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
But in Case4º:
A1,A2,B1 and B2 - Kingston1gb800=> dont work.The message is:
"Pc2-6400 dual channel interleaved

Installing USB controllers.."
And blocks there without loading nothing O_Q
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
What have I to modify in the bios?
Sorry,I do this for first time.
Thanks for the patience!

Vin
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:11/18/2008 10:58:00 PM # 6
Please give more details like your Processor, OS and devices. 

You may need to increase your processor FSB in BIOS or lower frequency for the memory.  More details about your system will help in checking on what we can do to help.

TBone
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:11/21/2008 9:54:00 PM # 7

MB: P5N-E SLI

BIOS: 1301

RAM: 2x1mb GSkill 800 DDR2

CPU : E6600 Core 2 Duo

Keyboard : Logitech G15 USB Keyboard (original version)

Mouse : Logitech G5 USB Laser Mouse

The problem I have and even after the latest 1301 BIOS flash is that if I warm boot a PC, that is not doing a SHUTDOWN but a RESTART the keyboard never is detected by the BIOS.  I must either unplug or do a cold boot for it to recognize.  This keyboard used to work upon a warm boot and some have sugguested allowing it to continue past the BIOS post error regarding the keyboard however it's never initialized.  The easiest way is to always just SHUTDOWN (power off) and power back on to reboot.  It's very frustrating because upon having updates to software both Microsoft and 3rd party I cannot simply do a Restart after installing or updating but must cancel and do a hard shutdown then power back for the keyboard to be recognized once again.

Quote:

Author: Vin Posted: 11/18/2008 10:58:00 PM

Please give more details like your Processor, OS and devices. 

You may need to increase your processor FSB in BIOS or lower frequency for the memory.  More details about your system will help in checking on what we can do to help.

bp99ni4
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:11/24/2008 3:34:00 PM # 8
motherF***** i posted wrongxD though i was writing in my thread. sorry

Brucie
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:11/28/2008 5:28:00 PM # 9

I cant speak for others but in my case I assure you its true. My brother-in-law is CEO of a large hardware supplier so we had enough XFX cards and motherboards to play with. There was nothing wrong with the XFX cards, there were no issues when installed on other mother boards.

The last XFX we tried had a burn in of 160hrs with no issues before installing it on the Striker, it lasted 58.2hrs before the Striker shorted out destroying the XFX and motherboard. It wasn't even being burnt in, Win XP was simply started and left to sit (with no screen saver).

My BIL submitted detailed test reports to ASUS and I think that was roughly 2 months ago, still waiting for a reply.

We didn't try SLI, I used the 2 9800's to power 4 screens, also had no issue with the cards being recognized.

Sorry I cant help.

Amoranemix
Level :
Posted:12/1/2008 5:34:00 AM # 10

My PC is still connected to the network via an ethernet cable. However, I would like to use that cable for digital television. Therefore a wireless connection via my motherboard to connect my computer would come in handy.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8  Next  Last
Previous Topic:: Next Topic
Feedback for our Website ModeratorModerator: yoyolai New Topic Related FAQ Related FAQ Forum Home Forum Home
Forum Model :
Legal Information | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Contact Us | ASUS Global
  ©ASUSTeK Computer Inc. All rights reserved.